The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Shirts in and shorts above the hips

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
At our local rules meeting, they emphasized the shirts and shorts issue. They stated that if you see underwear (boxers) during the game, it is an automatic technical. The reason was that during the pregame, the coach certifies that his player are properly equiped.
Just one problem with this one. It's fine for an association to have an automatic 'T' if the undergarments are showing (It could be unsportsmanlike conduct), but the justification is not appropriate. 2.4.5 states that there should be no penalty to a player or the coach, even though there is certification that the players are properly equipped.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

We were given pretty strict guideance at the state clinic this year. The first words out of the State Comm. were
"PULL YOUR PANTS UP AND TUCK YOUR SHIRT IN" which he repeated 5 times. If they don't comply they sit, if they are
at the table waiting to come in an not in compliance they stay at the table and if you tell them and they tuck and then pull out over the waist band they sit. It will be interesting to see how long it will last.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 08:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]

So compared to you who does not qualify as a kid? Walter Mondale? Frank Lautenburgh? Moses?

[/B][/QUOTE]People who have holes in their haircuts don't qualify as kids,Dan'l!!

I'm still a kid!

How 'bout you?
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

So compared to you who does not qualify as a kid? Walter Mondale? Frank Lautenburgh? Moses?

[/B]
People who have holes in their haircuts don't qualify as kids,Dan'l!!

I'm still a kid!

How 'bout you? [/B][/QUOTE]

Me? I'm a puppy. But my head gets very cold in the winter,
very sunburned in the summer.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:25pm
Administrator

Re: Re: Shirts in and shorts above the hips

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
At our local rules meeting, they emphasized the shirts and shorts issue. They stated that if you see underwear (boxers) during the game, it is an automatic technical. The reason was that during the pregame, the coach certifies that his player are properly equiped.
Just one problem with this one. It's fine for an association to have an automatic 'T' if the undergarments are showing (It could be unsportsmanlike conduct), but the justification is not appropriate. 2.4.5 states that there should be no penalty to a player or the coach, even though there is certification that the players are properly equipped.

Mark, your posting beat me to it. But I don't think that any local association can impose an automatic "T" for undergarments that are showing. Just remove the player from the game.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
Is there an actual rule reference for this?
Are you serious?

If you are,see NFHS R3-4-15.
Problem is that R3-4-15 leaves much to be desired. In stating that a team jersey “designed” to be worn inside the pants/skirt...
Now what does designed to be worn mean? A jersey with tails, I would say it must be in. What about one with a rounded bottom like a T-shirt Or a pullover type shirt?

I wish the rule would just say, “All shirts must be worn inside...
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Shirts in and shorts above the hips

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Mark, your posting beat me to it. But I don't think that any local association can impose an automatic "T" for undergarments that are showing. Just remove the player from the game.
I don't agree that they should, but an association could certainly interpret the unsportsmanlike conduct definition to include showed undergarments.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2002, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
Is there an actual rule reference for this?
Are you serious?

If you are,see NFHS R3-4-15.
Problem is that R3-4-15 leaves much to be desired. In stating that a team jersey “designed” to be worn inside the pants/skirt...
Now what does designed to be worn mean? A jersey with tails, I would say it must be in. What about one with a rounded bottom like a T-shirt Or a pullover type shirt?

I wish the rule would just say, “All shirts must be worn inside...
There are women's (or girls) uniforms that are shorter, and have a band around the bottom, rather than just a hem. These are "designed to be worn out", and are legal as such. I haven't seen a lot of them, but they are out there.

When a kid askes why the tucked-in rule, I tell about a play I saw in a Blazer game (true story!). The dribbler, who was moving quickly across the top of the key, had his shirt all the way out, the defender was between the ball and the basket and moving parallel to the dribbler, waving his arms. At one point the defender's finger got caught, probably inadvertently, in the hem of the dribbler's shirt. The dribbler was held back, tripped over his own feet, lost the ball and nearly fell. The ref never even flinched. Other team got the ball, and break-fasted, I mean fast-breaked, for an easy lay-up. The ref explained to the coach (I'm assuming) and amazingly shirts stayed tucked in for the rest of that game! Kids listen to this and I never have a problem.