The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

I hope you American (or elsewere) fellows can help me out on this one: I can't find any single person that can explane to me WHY the shirts have to be tucked in. The only reply I get is: It is in the rules. Anyone with an idea on this???

Thanks,
ADR
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 03:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink It is too early in the morning.

The rules makers want everyone to be uniform. It is that simple. Not sure what else you want to know? It also helps to not have unfair play by keeping the shirts tucked in. At least this is my take.

I need to go to bed.

Peace

Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Question about Questions from a Coach

My take on why it is a good idea (as opposed to why it is in the rules) is that contact on a loose jersey might make it hard to determine if actual contact had occured. I think of a baseball player from years ago (my age is showing) named Minnie Minnoso (sp?) who I believe still hold the record for the most times being hit by a pitch. He wore a slightly oversized uniform top and let it hang out as he leaned over the plate. He got to first a whole lot of times when the ball hit his shirt but nothing else.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Years back I was at a clinic where the question was asked. One of the 2 instructors took a step back and reached over and pulled the shirt out of his partner’s pants. His simple statement was, “Now we know for sure there was a hold.”
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Dress code, looks more professional, shirt out looks sloppy.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Is there an actual rule reference for this?
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 10:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
Is there an actual rule reference for this?
Are you serious?

If you are,see NFHS R3-4-15.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I simply wanted to find it in the rule book. To be perfectly honest, this is a rule I`ve always applied, but never really took the time to look up.

I enjoy the part in that rule that says the pants shall be worn "ABOVE THE HIPS".

I guess kids today could try and wear them below the hips like they wear their jeans.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I enjoy the part in that rule that says the pants shall be worn "ABOVE THE HIPS".

I guess kids today could try and wear them below the hips like they wear their jeans.
Kids today do exactly that.At the start of the season,it's fairly common to tell players to pull their pants up.Female variety,too.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Shirts in and shorts above the hips

At our local rules meeting, they emphasized the shirts and shorts issue. They stated that if you see underwear (boxers) during the game, it is an automatic technical. The reason was that during the pregame, the coach certifies that his player are properly equiped. I like the fact that the association took a uniform stance but I think it is severe. I plan on addressing the state rules interpreter for their read. The rule, 3-4-15 states they shall be directed to leave the game. To me, that is adequate punishment. In the past, when I have a problem I tell them to pull them up. When they pull them up a half inch, I tell them it is one of the simplest rules we have and if he doesn't pull them above the hips, he will have to leave the game. That usually worked.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

And how about the shorts? If they are so long that they fall over the knees? (There is no rule on this one under FIBA).

ER
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Question about Questions from a Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
I think of a baseball player from years ago (my age is showing) named Minnie Minnoso (sp?) who I believe still hold the record for the most times being hit by a pitch.
That doesn't show your age too much, Butch. Minnie last played in the early '80s. The White Sox tried to get him on their roster in 1990, but the Commissioner's office would not allow the contract. Minnie holds the record for "most decades played in", and the ChiSox were trying to extend that record into the '90s as a publicity stunt. But doesn't Don Baylor hold the record for most times HBP?

Chuck
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Kids today....

So compared to you who does not qualify as a kid? Walter Mondale? Frank Lautenburgh? Moses?

Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

Hey Dan, how long you been waiting for somebody to mention being old, just so you could use that animation? LOL I love that one, BTW

Chuck
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

If shirt is tucked in, asses can't show. It's a asketball game not a hip-hop style show.