Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
Is there an actual rule reference for this?
Are you serious?

If you are,see NFHS R3-4-15.
Problem is that R3-4-15 leaves much to be desired. In stating that a team jersey “designed” to be worn inside the pants/skirt...
Now what does designed to be worn mean? A jersey with tails, I would say it must be in. What about one with a rounded bottom like a T-shirt Or a pullover type shirt?

I wish the rule would just say, “All shirts must be worn inside...
There are women's (or girls) uniforms that are shorter, and have a band around the bottom, rather than just a hem. These are "designed to be worn out", and are legal as such. I haven't seen a lot of them, but they are out there.

When a kid askes why the tucked-in rule, I tell about a play I saw in a Blazer game (true story!). The dribbler, who was moving quickly across the top of the key, had his shirt all the way out, the defender was between the ball and the basket and moving parallel to the dribbler, waving his arms. At one point the defender's finger got caught, probably inadvertently, in the hem of the dribbler's shirt. The dribbler was held back, tripped over his own feet, lost the ball and nearly fell. The ref never even flinched. Other team got the ball, and break-fasted, I mean fast-breaked, for an easy lay-up. The ref explained to the coach (I'm assuming) and amazingly shirts stayed tucked in for the rest of that game! Kids listen to this and I never have a problem.