The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

chicken wing?

Talked with an official friend who had a big game last night and was approached by coach to look out for an opposing player who 'chicken wings' down low. Never heard that term before. Offensive player has defender on his back and extends arms back virtually locking him in. IMHO a tough call to make if pressure isn't much on defender. Friend eventually called a double foul as defender had his knee up players behind. Seems like the right call to end jostling underneath.

A team control hold call may be in order? Anyone ever have this call?

My question is, I see it from time to time. How to call it.
Advantage disadvantage? Early on, "knock it off" verbal warning? Typical play seems to be arms back and defender trying to push through or throw A aside

HTBT probably applies but thought I'd toss it out there.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the defender isn't attempting to get around the offensive player, it seems like nothing. If he is, and it stops him, easy TC call (if you're looking at it).
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If the defender isn't attempting to get around the offensive player, it seems like nothing. If he is, and it stops him, easy TC call (if you're looking at it).
+1 Just had this same call in my last game. A little earlier in the game I had yelled at the kid to quit holding.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
+1 Just had this same call in my last game. A little earlier in the game I had yelled at the kid to quit holding.
Did the opposing coach ask if you were gonna coach his kid too?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Did the opposing coach ask if you were gonna coach his kid too?
No,
I'm pretty consistent at the beginning of all my games to say it on both ends. This sometimes sets the tone so rough play doesn't escalate. As time goes by, (the last 30 years) basketball is getting to be way more physical, unfortunately in my opinion, bball should not resemble football, I've always believed bball is more of a game of finesse. 30 years ago way less contact was allowed especially with screens and blocking out.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Talked with an official friend who had a big game last night and was approached by coach to look out for an opposing player who 'chicken wings' down low. Never heard that term before. Offensive player has defender on his back and extends arms back virtually locking him in. IMHO a tough call to make if pressure isn't much on defender. Friend eventually called a double foul as defender had his knee up players behind. Seems like the right call to end jostling underneath.

A team control hold call may be in order? Anyone ever have this call?

My question is, I see it from time to time. How to call it.
Advantage disadvantage? Early on, "knock it off" verbal warning? Typical play seems to be arms back and defender trying to push through or throw A aside

HTBT probably applies but thought I'd toss it out there.
It's holding / hooking and is called / judged the same way as any other action that impedes movement.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's holding / hooking and is called / judged the same way as any other action that impedes movement.
Had a BV game last week, and the coach yelled out to me, "hey watch it out there, my guys are getting ocean waved!" WTH does that mean? I interepreted it to mean that his guys were getting plowed over, but I sure didn't see it, my partners didn't either.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No,
I'm pretty consistent at the beginning of all my games to say it on both ends. This sometimes sets the tone so rough play doesn't escalate. As time goes by, (the last 30 years) basketball is getting to be way more physical, unfortunately in my opinion, bball should not resemble football, I've always believed bball is more of a game of finesse. 30 years ago way less contact was allowed especially with screens and blocking out.
I agree, but generic terms such as "straight" or "easy" arent directed to the O or D & is less subject to being interpreted as coaching.

I'm sure the coach of the kid being chicken winged wanted the foul...
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

happens a lot around here. Tweet - team foul - hold.

They learn quick. If I see it starting again I might say "straight up" once. Then if they need the hard lesson we can do it all over again.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

The "chicken wing" I was envisioning is the play where the post player does a drop step/spin move and in the process uses an elbow out at the side to get past the defender.

But to the OP, I have called this before. If the defender is attempting to get around the offense player, it's an easy foul going the other way. If the defender is content with his position, then I have nothing.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had a BV game last week, and the coach yelled out to me, "hey watch it out there, my guys are getting ocean waved!" WTH does that mean? I interepreted it to mean that his guys were getting plowed over, but I sure didn't see it, my partners didn't either.
"It's fun to find out what makes an ocean wave wave!"

anyone from Massachusetts remember this museum of science commercial?

YouTube - Museum of Science Vintage Commercial

(copyright 1977? omg, i'm old)
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I agree, but generic terms such as "straight" or "easy" arent directed to the O or D & is less subject to being interpreted as coaching.
You're overanalyzing it. Absolutely nothing wrong with "Don't push!" "Don't hold," "Get out of the lane." It preventive officiating. It's got nothing to do with coaching.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
You're overanalyzing it. Absolutely nothing wrong with "Don't push!" "Don't hold," "Get out of the lane." It preventive officiating. It's got nothing to do with coaching.
Agree. Compare: "get open in the post" or "set a pick." One is about avoiding fouls and violations, which we enforce; the other is about strategy and tactics.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Agree. Compare: "get open in the post" or "set a pick." One is about avoiding fouls and violations, which we enforce; the other is about strategy and tactics.
I guess its all about where one lives, the levels one works & who one works for...

I've been taught "dont" & "get" suggests to one of the coaches that something illegal is happening & leads to "just call the foul/violation!!"

Speaking directly to the defense, "dont hold" is coaching the defense out of a foul in some peoples opinion. "Easy" or "straight" is less subjective. You could be talking to either or both players.

That being said, I'm all for preventitive officiating. I just do it in a different manner.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 10:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Purely out of curiosity, how do you encourage players out of the paint?