The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
even tho it looked bad I would say it is no more than a jump stop. Even if he jumps and lands on two feet its not a violation. Lands on both feet he just can't use a pivot. If he landed one foot then the other the first to hit the floor is the pivot. It sounds like an ugly play that the fans would scream about if you didn't call it but it wasn't anything more than an ugly legal play. But then again had to see it to really know.
Assuming he gathered the ball in the air, the part in red is wrong.

The only time he can't use a pivot is if he has to land on both feet. If he's allowed to land one foot at a time, but instead lands on both feet, then either foot may be the pivot.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Assuming he gathered the ball in the air, the part in red is wrong.

The only time he can't use a pivot is if he has to land on both feet. If he's allowed to land one foot at a time, but instead lands on both feet, then either foot may be the pivot.
Wait what? I need to re read that rule. That makes a lot more sense, I could never figure out why you wouldn't be allowed but the way I read it you couldn't. That is also the way it is taught here???
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Wait what? I need to re read that rule. That makes a lot more sense, I could never figure out why you wouldn't be allowed but the way I read it you couldn't. That is also the way it is taught here???
Three sorts of jump stops.
1. Player gathers in the air and lands on two feet. Same as if he had gather with two feet on the floor. Either foot may be a pivot.

2. Player gathers in the air, lands on one foot, jumps and lands on both feet simultaneously. Neither foot may be a pivot, but either or both may be lifted as long as it/they don't come back down prior to shooting, passing, or asking for a timeout.

3. Player gathers, while moving, with one foot on the floor, jumps and lands on both feet. Same restrictions as #2.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Three sorts of jump stops.
1. Player gathers in the air and lands on two feet. Same as if he had gather with two feet on the floor. Either foot may be a pivot.

2. Player gathers in the air, lands on one foot, jumps and lands on both feet simultaneously. Neither foot may be a pivot, but either or both may be lifted as long as it/they don't come back down prior to shooting, passing, or asking for a timeout.

3. Player gathers, while moving, with one foot on the floor, jumps and lands on both feet. Same restrictions as #2.
Ok yeah that is the way I read it. I guess maybe I just missunderstood what you were saying.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok yeah that is the way I read it. I guess maybe I just missunderstood what you were saying.
I missed the gathering in the air part.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I missed the gathering in the air part.
Well then, the part in blue below is wrong. That would be a travel.

Quote:
even tho it looked bad I would say it is no more than a jump stop. Even if he jumps and lands on two feet its not a violation. Lands on both feet he just can't use a pivot. If he landed one foot then the other the first to hit the floor is the pivot. It sounds like an ugly play that the fans would scream about if you didn't call it but it wasn't anything more than an ugly legal play. But then again had to see it to really know.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well then, the part in blue below is wrong. That would be a travel.
OK? Let me make sure I'm not confused lol. In the OP I read that A1 was dribbling then leaped I'm assuming off of one foot and then landed then the ball came loose.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

yeah, I think the consensus is he jumps, then gathers the ball, then lands and the ball comes loose. He can recover this fumble and establish a pivot foot based on how he recovers the ball.