The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Violation?

This also happened in a game tonight and provoked discussion later. So I am presenting it for discussion here.

There is a mass of humanity under the basket, rebounding. Blue gets the ball on the other side of the key. Black player is off the court under the basket (I do not know if it was intentional or not because of the scrum). He moves in a straight line from one side of the key to the other directly toward the blue player who rebounded the ball and reenters the court to try to defend the player who has the ball. Has he violated?

Rita
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 10:59pm
We don't rent pigs

No infraction here. Play on.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Not IMO. Sounds like he left the floor unintentionally and returned to play defense. No call from me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Assuming he was OOB legally, he's either committed a Technical foul, or nothing. Most likely, I've got nothing. The rule doesn't say they have to take the most direct path back to the court. It just says he can't purposefully or deceitfully delay his return. Sounds like neither of those to me.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Play on
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Assuming he was OOB legally, he's either committed a Technical foul, or nothing. Most likely, I've got nothing. The rule doesn't say they have to take the most direct path back to the court. It just says he can't purposefully or deceitfully delay his return. Sounds like neither of those to me.
If he intentionally left, to gain advantage to get around the scrum, it would be a violation, not a technical foul.

Rita
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
If he intentionally left, to gain advantage to get around the scrum, it would be a violation, not a technical foul.

Rita
I think this is two different cases. If he left the floor to again an advantage, then the violation is for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason. The player was never out of bounds legally and thus the violation.

Now if the player was out of bounds legally (throw-in, momentum, etc) but purposely and deceitfully delays coming back in, then you'd have a technical.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Rita
Correct, but I was under the assumption that he was out legally; since you didn't see him leave, you have to assume that much.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's not what Snaq said. He said if he was OOB LEGALLY, then it's either nothing or a technical foul.

It's nothing if he returns immediately. The rule doesn't require him to take the shortest path.

If he doesn't return immediately and attempts to gain an advantage by delaying, then it's a technical foul.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 09:20am.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That's not what Snaq said. He said if he was OOB LEGALLY, then it's either nothing or a technical foul.

It's nothing if he returns immediately. THe rule does require him to take the shortest path.

If he doesn't return immediately and attempts to gain an advantage by delaying, then it's a technical foul.
Typo? Or am I missing something?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Typo. Got a real bad habit lately of leaving the n't off my contractions.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Black vs Blue

What the ??
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:49am
TODO: creative title here

It happens sometimes... last night I had a 9th grade doubleheader with the home team in blue, and the visiting team in black.

Could be worse. Sunday night I had a men's wreck game where one team came out with white jerseys and the other team wore light gray jerseys. That lasted for about 30 seconds, then we made them go shirts vs skins.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

HS Intramural game the other day had deep green and lighter green. We went black and green, respectively. It worked.

Unfortunately, swallowed my whistle once when over-inflated ego guard for green took an inbounds pass after a black basket, tossed the ball off the backboard, caught it and started up court on the dribble. I knew something was wrong almost immediately ... but "almost" doesn't cut it. Had read about it here and elsewhere several times but seeing it in person for the first time just caught me off guard.

No matter. "Black" waxed green by nearly 20 throughout.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Wreck games

You see it all here. Years ago when I was a glutton for this kind of thing and would stay all day at a gym either playing pick up before or after reffn rec league games, the local rec dept had a stead fast rule requiring numbers on all jerseys (of course a great rule, sometimes not followed at that level) Anyway one Sunday afternoon a guy with a Jimmy Buffet t-shirt, refused to take a black marker and put a # on it saying it was his fav shirt. He cut the sleeves off and wrote his # on his upper arm, both sides like a football #. Worked for me and rec super was ok with it so away we go. Never tried shirts and skins though in a contested game anyways..ah those were the days down at RecHall