The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

uh oh....BLARGE!!!!

3-whistle....

I'm T, steal, we're going the other way, i'm hustling down to new L...

1-on-1 break at foul line, collision, dribbler pushes off with forearm. I'm new L, even with the play, see it perfectly clear, tweet...'offensive foul'!! Same time I tweet, I hear my trail tweet...comes in hard yelling "block! block!"

oh crap! Now we've got a blarge!! We administer and move on...

at halftime, the trail on that play says, 'i thought we discussed in pregame that if it starts in your area, you have it all the way to the basket?'...

I said, 'yeah, but that's in a normal frontcourt setting, right? This was a fastbreak, 1-on-1 going to the basket, contact at foul line as I'm running even with the play on the break.'

maybe I mis-interpreted in pre-game. Thoughts???

Moral of the story, please discuss THIS specific situation in pregame so it doesn't happen to YOU!!!!
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:41am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Absolutely agree to pre-game it and as I have been told many times IN THAT pre-game, hold your fist high and don't make any preliminaries too early to avoid such a mess. Make eye contact with your partner and one of you takes it - not both (obviously).

How far away was the T? Might have been a hard sell from there?

On the other hand, sometimes $h!t happens.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

i'm not sure how far away he was. again, it was a 1-on-1 fast break, so i wasn't looking back too much as I was running even with the 1-on-1 break matchup. I assumed (ooops) that it was my primiary as lead on break. ugh.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

All I can say is as the new trail, I've got the players following the break, not the break away.

I think someone was ball watching.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 08:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
On the other hand, sometimes $h!t happens.
That's the bottom line on blarges, no matter the accompanying rhetoric.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
at halftime, the trail on that play says, 'i thought we discussed in pregame that if it starts in your area, you have it all the way to the basket?'...
So, if the steal happened in the lead's area, that lead official (as new trail) has it all the way to the basket? Why do you bother to have three officials on the court?

Ciao
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

odd 1-on-1 fast break starting in the L area...was there no one else on the court?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

This new trail doesn't really understand 3-person mechanics, does he?

In transition, he's probably still in the backcourt. He thinks he's in better position to make a call from there than the official that's in much better position?

Quite frankly, if there's a double whistle in this situation, I'd expect it to be by the C/L. Unless the contact is from behind and the L misses it, I wouldn't expect the T to get involved.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No way I'm making this call from T. At best, I've made it to the division line and will have a half dozen players between me and the call.
At worst (and more likely), I've made it to the division line and there are half a dozen players behind me (not good as the T).
Somewhere in the middle (and most likely), I'm hanging back watching the rest of the players and have barely made it to the FT line extended.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No way I'm making this call from T. At best, I've made it to the division line and will have a half dozen players between me and the call.
At worst (and more likely), I've made it to the division line and there are half a dozen players behind me (not good as the T).
Somewhere in the middle (and most likely), I'm hanging back watching the rest of the players and have barely made it to the FT line extended.
Plus add into the equation that if the Lead somehow misses the play there is also a Center official who can have a crack at it.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 04:14pm
Administrator

Quote:

Snaqs:

Mark, Woody, and I welcome you as our newest member of the "Ye Olde Geezers Club".

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 04:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Snaqs:

Mark, Woody, and I welcome you as our newest member of the "Ye Olde Geezers Club".

MTD, Sr.
LOL, I see no shame in getting to the division line when there's a quick steal and the player gets fouled in transition at the FT line.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 04:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
LOL, I see no shame in getting to the division line when there's a quick steal and the player gets fouled in transition at the FT line.
Matter of fact, I'm guessing in reality we would all be back a few steps further. With 2 officials up there, I'm able to stay back a step or two and watch the stragglers in the backcourt.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 04:31pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Matter of fact, I'm guessing in reality we would all be back a few steps further. With 2 officials up there, I'm able to stay back a step or two and watch the stragglers in the backcourt.
Yeah. That's the ticket. I'm WATCHING stragglers. I'm not one myself.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 05:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
3-whistle....

I'm T, steal, we're going the other way, i'm hustling down to new L...

1-on-1 break at foul line, collision, dribbler pushes off with forearm. I'm new L, even with the play, see it perfectly clear, tweet...'offensive foul'!! Same time I tweet, I hear my trail tweet...comes in hard yelling "block! block!"

oh crap! Now we've got a blarge!! We administer and move on...

I said, 'yeah, but that's in a normal frontcourt setting, right? This was a fastbreak, 1-on-1 going to the basket, contact at foul line as I'm running even with the play on the break.'

maybe I mis-interpreted in pre-game. Thoughts???

Moral of the story, please discuss THIS specific situation in pregame so it doesn't happen to YOU!!!!

VBZebra:

First, Let us address the red highlighted statements; you did not misinterprete the pre-game.

Second, I know that the NFHS and NCAA Men's Casebooks tell us that your situation is a DPF. BUT, by rule, a Blarge; that is a crock of horse manure. Oops! I mean that is impossible!

The NCAA Women's CCA Mechnics Manual covers a blarge correctly. Only one official can have the call and it should (99.999,999,999,999% of the time) be the official who has primary coverage, and in your case: YOU!.

I would have come in strong and taken the call. If your partner wanted to parley (I think I spelled it correctly) with you about the fouls (whenever there is a DF, it is always good mechanics to meet at the center circle to discuss the situation before reporting it) I would have told him that I had the call and we were going to have only one foul. If the A-HC wants to know why only A1 only called for a foul (charge) and that B1 was not charged with block making the foul a DPF, tell him that your whistle was first.

Very very rarely (only 0.000,000,000,001% of the time; yes, the two percentage figures add up to 100%) will I disagree with a Casebook Play, AND this is one of them and I will impose my will with my partner(s) on this one.

Blarge calls occur most of the time (99.999,999,999,999% of the time) when one official starts to ball watch and is watching out of his primary. A good pregame conference will eleiminate blarges from one's game; that means, we do not have blarges in my games.

The last time I had a blarge situation was about six years ago in a MichiganHSAA boys' H.S. varsity game. Team V was pressing in the first half and I was the T (Table Side--TS) at the time of the play. V1, while in his team's backcourt, was dribbling the ball up the court along the TS Sideline. H1 obtained a LGP against V1 just in Team V's backcour where the Division Line and the Sideline intersect, taking the Sideline away from V1. V1 ran H1 over and I came up strong with a stop clock for foul signal followed by a PCF signal.

The L, (who was also the R for the game and had stated numerous times that pregame conferences aren't needed in his games) who should have been on the Endline watching off the ball, was stadning on the TS-Sideline where Team H's freethrow line intersected the Sideline watching the ball (you do not want me to further evaluate is abilities as a L in a three-man officiating crew) and at the same moment that I sounded my whistle for V1's charge he came in with his own whistle for a block by H1, .

He came to me to tell me that we had DPF (the dreaded blarge in this case), and I told him that we did not. He said that we did, and I told him that he had no business even looking at the ball and that he should have had his tuchus down on the Endline officiating off the ball. , by him, LOL.

I told him that I had 100% on ball coverage in this play and that there was only going to be one whistle and that it was going to be mine. And that is what we went with. The halftime get together was very quiet. But the rest of the game is another story, because even his long time partner (I was a league assigned substitute) turned on him by the end of the game. It was not pretty in the dressing room after the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio