The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Restraining Line

I worked a game tonight in a small gym with a restraining line for throw-ins. A1 has the ball for a throw-in. He throws to A2, who is in the air and lands outside the restraining line. I called a throw-in violation because he landed "out of bounds." Looking back, I think I kicked it, because the restraining line restrictions would end when the throw-in ends. Could someone tell me for sure if I did it right or wrong? Does anyone else do very many games with a restraining line?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
I worked a game tonight in a small gym with a restraining line for throw-ins. A1 has the ball for a throw-in. He throws to A2, who is in the air and lands outside the restraining line. I called a throw-in violation because he landed "out of bounds." Looking back, I think I kicked it, because the restraining line restrictions would end when the throw-in ends. Could someone tell me for sure if I did it right or wrong? Does anyone else do very many games with a restraining line?
Wrong and no.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

The restraining line is to restrain the defense.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
The restraining line is to restrain the defense.
And the offense.

The restraining line IS the OOB line for everyone until the throwin ends.

No teammate of the thrower can be across that line before the ball is released on the throw-in. The ball must cross the line before a teammate of the thrower can touch the ball.

So, if the player in the air caught the ball on the inbounds side of the temporary restraining line, it was a legal play. The line disappeared when they caught the ball. If they were on the OOB side of the temporary restraining line when they caught the ball, they committed a throwin violation.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jan 15, 2011 at 05:19am.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 07:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And the offense.

The restraining line IS the OOB line for everyone until the throwin ends.

No teammate of the thrower can be across that line before the ball is released on the throw-in. The ball must cross the line before a teammate of the thrower can touch the ball.

So, if the player in the air caught the ball on the inbounds side of the temporary restraining line, it was a legal play. The line disappeared when they caught the ball. If they were on the OOB side of the temporary restraining line when they caught the ball, they committed a throwin violation.
Actually to pick a nit, by rule the restraining line is the OOB line until the ball crosses the restraining line as per 1-2-2, not when the throw-in ends.The restraining line ceases to be a boundary line when the ball on the throw-in crosses the restraining line.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

There's some case play where A2 crosss the line before the throw-in ends (I think before the ball is released) and B2 is allowed to follow. No violations on either.

I *think* (and this is pure conjecture) the theory is that the restraining line gives A1 room to see the court and release the ball. If A chooses not to want / need that room, then the line doesn't exist.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 10:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Frequently on our smaller (older) school courts, we have no room on the sidelines but no restraining lines. I'll set an appropriate line for the defense and tell the defender "no closer." Never really thought about the offense using that room as well, but I guess that makes sense.

Haven't seen an actual restraining line in years and then only saw one in a middle school where the wall itself was the boundary.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Small gyms

CR & JR have it covered. The restraining line is the boundary line, period. No one breaks it, otherwise it's a violation. (Possible exception below.)

We've got these at several gyms in south central Iowa. We get/have to see it 3-4 times a year, so not a ton. We absolutely review it during our pregame car ride.

Question: Was the throw in after a made basket? OP didn't say, but couldn't an offensive player cross the line for an OOB throw to a teammate? (As long as they were established OOB when they caught the pass, then passed it in bounds rather than dribbling up court?)

Rule: 1-2-2
If, on an unofficial court, there is less than 3 feet of unobstructed space outside any sideline or end line, a narrow broken line shall be marked on the court parallel with and 3 feet inside that boundary. This restraining line becomes the boundary line during a throw-in on that side or end, as in 7–6. It continues to be the boundary until the ball crosses the line.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 10:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines View Post

Question: Was the throw in after a made basket? OP didn't say, but couldn't an offensive player cross the line for an OOB throw to a teammate? (As long as they were established OOB when they caught the pass, then passed it in bounds rather than dribbling up court?)

Rule: 1-2-2
If, on an unofficial court, there is less than 3 feet of unobstructed space outside any sideline or end line, a narrow broken line shall be marked on the court parallel with and 3 feet inside that boundary. This restraining line becomes the boundary line during a throw-in on that side or end, as in 7–6. It continues to be the boundary until the ball crosses the line.
You answered your own question. Yes, as per 1-2-2. The restraining line is treated as a boundary line in all respects on a throw-in until it disappears.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've only officiated a few games on a court with an actual restraining line, but I grew up playing on one (high school and middle school, same court for me). I believe that court has since been expanded, but I'm not positive.

I'm not aware of the case play Bob's talking about, I've been under the impression that it's a throw-in violation for the offensive team to cross the line (except as allowed in 7-5-7).
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 03:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Made The First Free throw, Can He Pick Up The Spare ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Haven't seen an actual restraining line in years and then only saw one in a middle school where the wall itself was the boundary.
We have a Catholic middle school where the back of the painted sideline boundary lines on the floor are actually touching the sideline wall. There are restraining lines painted along both sidelines. It feels like the game is being played in a bowling alley.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)