The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I havea question about the use of restraining lines. If there isn't 3 feet outside of the normal boundary lines, I understand that the defense can be made to observe an invisible three foot restraining area just inside of the boundary line. My questin is this: I know that if there is an actual restraining line, the inbounder cannot bounce pass the ball in this area, the defense cannot stand in this area, and a pass cannot be received in this area, but if the restraining line is imaginary (due to not having a physical one in place) do the same restricitons apply? I hope I was reasonably clear about it. Thanks!
Matt
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

When you move the defender back and designate a new throw in
plane this only applies to the defender on the ball. The defender may not cross through this plane to obstruct the throw in but may make a play if the in bounding play is in that area. So if you have designated a new plane and the defender steps or reaches through it is a violation (warning
on 1st, T on any others, if an offensive player move into that area the defender may defend that play.
SEE casebookplay 7.6.3D
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 06:38pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Just imagine!

Quote:
Originally posted by MattRef
I havea question about the use of restraining lines. If there isn't 3 feet outside of the normal boundary lines, I understand that the defense can be made to observe an invisible three foot restraining area just inside of the boundary line. My questin is this: I know that if there is an actual restraining line, the inbounder cannot bounce pass the ball in this area, the defense cannot stand in this area, and a pass cannot be received in this area, but if the restraining line is imaginary (due to not having a physical one in place) do the same restricitons apply? I hope I was reasonably clear about it. Thanks!
Matt
Matt,
If the lines are not there, then simply imagine whether there was a need to call a violation. Did anyone benfit either way from a no-call?
Use your judgement. Keep it fair.
Just like that foul line that "They" forgot to mark. Call it, and don't worry too much about it.
mick
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 10:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
When you move the defender back and designate a new throw in
plane this only applies to the defender on the ball. The defender may not cross through this plane to obstruct the throw in but may make a play if the in bounding play is in that area. So if you have designated a new plane and the defender steps or reaches through it is a violation (warning
on 1st, T on any others, if an offensive player move into that area the defender may defend that play.
SEE casebookplay 7.6.3D

NFHS R1-S2-A2 states that the "restraining line becomes the boundary line during the throw-in on that side or end, as in R7-S6. It continues to be the boundary until the ball crosses the line." That means that the only player that can be on the out-of-bounds side of the boundary line is the player making the throw-in (exception: a throw-in after a successful or awarded field goal or free throw). This restriction ends once the passed ball crosses the boundary line.

I have a problem with Part (b) of Casebook Play 7.6.3D. I do not understand what is meant by an offensive player moving into the area means. Whether there is an actual restraining line drawn on the court or the officials have to use an imaginary restraining line if a player (offensive or defensive) other than the player making the throw-in (see the exception above) a throw-in violation has occured.

This is why Casebook Play 7.6.3D(b) puzzles me.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 11:31pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
I have a problem with Part (b) of Casebook Play 7.6.3D. I do not understand what is meant by an offensive player moving into the area means. Whether there is an actual restraining line drawn on the court or the officials have to use an imaginary restraining line if a player (offensive or defensive) other than the player making the throw-in (see the exception above) a throw-in violation has occured.

This is why Casebook Play 7.6.3D(b) puzzles me.
Yes, Mark, on some older courts there is a dashed line that goes around the floor, about 3' from the boundary.
The space between the boundary and the dashed line is the area of which they write.
If there is no line drawn, that is where I say, "forget it if possible, enforce as necessary". If the gym owners won't bother to paint it, I am not going to think too much about enforcing the imaginary stuff.
mick
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 1-2-2 applies to unofficial courts that have
a narrow broken line painted 3ft inside the boundry on the sideline or endline that is obstructed. When using this restraining line it does become the boundry line and all throw ins on that line are treated as if it is the official
boundry during throw-ins. This should be discussed during the pregame and gone over during the coaches and captains conference. This is different when there is no restaining line and you have to back the defender up to allow the thrower in to the minimum room for a throw in, this is where 7.6.3D comes in.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 10:08am
Administrator

Just because the restraining line is not shown on the court the restraining line still exists and must be enforced for the boundary line where the throw-in is being made. Yes, it should be covered in your pregame conference with your partner/s and at the pregame conference with the captains and coaches. I know that there has been a casebook play in the past that states that whether or not the restraining line is drawn on the court it exists and must be used.

You cannot just forget it if it isn't drawn. But the only time you need to worry about it is when the team making the throw-in is being defended.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

The big difference in the 2 plays(restraining line and none)
With a restraining line no player may cross into that area
during a spot throw in and the thrower may cross into that area as the broken line is now the boundry. With no restraining line if you move a defender back from the throw in spot that player may not violate the imposed plane unless
an offensive player goes into that area, then the defensive player may cross into that area to defend.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2001, 11:19am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Just because the restraining line is not shown on the court the restraining line still exists and must be enforced for the boundary line where the throw-in is being made....
...You cannot just forget it if it isn't drawn. But the only time you need to worry about it is when the team making the throw-in is being defended.
Mark,
I agree with you.
My implication was to not be overly concerned, just properly concerned.
mick