The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CHSLadyEagle
Talking

Remind me not to bring Krispy Kremes home for you from the next rabbit show which involves driving past one. :P I water him at least 2x times a day, but not after Midnight. I don't want him to turn into a Gremlin.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 08:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's Next ??? Midget Wrestling ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
No, but I do water her at least 2x a week
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSLadyEagle View Post
I water him at least 2x times a day, but not after Midnight. I don't want him to turn into a Gremlin.
Great? Now we're featuring tag team professional wrestling on the Forum.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CHSLadyEagle
[QUOTE=BillyMac;717124]Great? Now we're featuring tag team professional wrestling on the Forum.

I was just being a pest to him. I gave him a bottle of water after I posted that. We like to joke & be pests to each other from time to time. I didn't work the last minute game on Friday that was moved from a Away game to a Home game as I had a out-of-state rabbit show & was zonked.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't work the last minute game on Friday that was moved from a Away game to a Home game as I had a out-of-state rabbit show & was zonked.
Yes there were several people that missed her being there (including the Varsity Timer, who said that the basketball games should have higher priority).
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Bookkepping mistakes are a huge concern in one area that I work where high school students are handling the book and the clock in varsity games. I've been burnt more than once even after admonishing the two bookkeepers to work together, keep in synch and periodically checking with the table for fouls.

This post got me thinking again about this. In situations where I know there is a potential problem, I'm resolved going forward to:

1. during pre-game with partner(s), emphasize regularly checking and confirming fouls, score and arrow

2. during table pre-game, emphatically instruct the bookkeepers and timer to confirm totals after every foul and score

3. during pre-game coaches meeting, advise coaches to look out for and report any clock/book issues at the earliest appropriate opportunity

4. check foul totals during reporting of each foul and periodically confirm with partner(s)

5. at half time, confirm total and player score , arrow individual and team foul totals

Any other thoughts? I may put together a more formal list and share it with other officials. As I said, its a huge issue, and I join a long list of officials who have been burnt by the table.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
Any other thoughts? I may put together a more formal list and share it with other officials. As I said, its a huge issue, and I join a long list of officials who have been burnt by the table.
If it's a huge issue, we should be going to that school's AD to get the problem fixed. It's the school's responsibility to supply competent table personnel. We as officials have enough to do now without getting into that area.

Cure the disease, not the symptoms.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If it's a huge issue, we should be going to that school's AD to get the problem fixed. It's the school's responsibility to supply competent table personnel. We as officials have enough to do now without getting into that area.

Cure the disease, not the symptoms.
Unfortunately, not getting into that area is a luxury that I can't afford. by all means I'll pursue the issue with ADS and above. but once I'm on a game, as an official the table is my concern and can ruin a game if it is not properly managed by the officials.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Unfortunately, not getting into that area is a luxury that I can't afford. by all means I'll pursue the issue with ADS and above. but once I'm on a game, as an official the table is my concern and can ruin a game if it is not properly managed by the officials.
Is this a problem at multiple schools?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Is this a problem at multiple schools?
yes. approximately 50 to varying degrees.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bookkepping mistakes are a huge concern in one area that I work where high school students are handling the book and the clock in varsity games. I've been burnt more than once even after admonishing the two bookkeepers to work together, keep in synch and periodically checking with the table for fouls.

This post got me thinking again about this. In situations where I know there is a potential problem, I'm resolved going forward to:

1. during pre-game with partner(s), emphasize regularly checking and confirming fouls, score and arrow

2. during table pre-game, emphatically instruct the bookkeepers and timer to confirm totals after every foul and score

3. during pre-game coaches meeting, advise coaches to look out for and report any clock/book issues at the earliest appropriate opportunity

4. check foul totals during reporting of each foul and periodically confirm with partner(s)

5. at half time, confirm total and player score , arrow individual and team foul totals

How about pgs. 83-85 of the 2009-2011 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual as that deals with the selecting of table personnel?

Making a suggestion to the AD that he/she reads this.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Wanja,
Why are high school students handling the scoreboard/clock for a varsity game? Here that would be unacceptable but it would be perfectly acceptable to have a student do the book in a varsity game. My preference would be for CIF-SS (our governing body) to expand the mandatory "adults run the table" rule for playoffs and have it govern all regular season games.This happens at every school in our new league except two.Consequence for violation would be just like the violation of our official ball contracts for playoffs-loss of the next available home date (if eliminated/team misses postseason penalty carries to next year).
AD's need to make sure that they are giving their kids the best possible experience from hiring good qualified coaches to giving them solid, qualified table personnel.If 50 schools are having some problems with their crews it may be time to email each of the 50 AD's and offer some kind of remedial instruction for those schools with your area's instructional chair.Either that or report them to your state association for them to deal with.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Wanja,
Why are high school students handling the scoreboard/clock for a varsity game? Here that would be unacceptable but it would be perfectly acceptable to have a student do the book in a varsity game. My preference would be for CIF-SS (our governing body) to expand the mandatory "adults run the table" rule for playoffs and have it govern all regular season games.This happens at every school in our new league except two.Consequence for violation would be just like the violation of our official ball contracts for playoffs-loss of the next available home date (if eliminated/team misses postseason penalty carries to next year).
AD's need to make sure that they are giving their kids the best possible experience from hiring good qualified coaches to giving them solid, qualified table personnel.If 50 schools are having some problems with their crews it may be time to email each of the 50 AD's and offer some kind of remedial instruction for those schools with your area's instructional chair.Either that or report them to your state association for them to deal with.
+1

Why not make things easier & mandate that all table crews (no matter the level) must be adults?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problems with student score keepers at the lower levels as long as they know exactly what they are doing! My JV scorekeepers know exactly what they are doing because I teach them myself certain things they must do to maintain game flow and control. I would not have a problem asking one of these students to handle a varsity game if I were ever unable to.

Wanja-If table ops are such an issue in your area why don't you and your brethren solve the problem by issuing table ratings.Here are some categories I would rate on:

A.All members of the crew (Scorekeeper,Scoreboard/Clock Operator,and Shot Clock operator-Where applicable) were present when R assumed control of the game. Y-2/3 Points N-0 Points

B.All members of the crew had their cell phones put away for the duration of this contest. Y-2/3 Points N-0 Points

C.Official scorekeeper made contact with reporting official on all fouls.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

D.Official scorekeeper communicated effectively with officials on the floor regarding bonus,timeouts remaining,and disqualifications.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

E.Official scorekeeper communicated with visiting scorekeeper.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

E.Scoreboard Operator was prompt on stopping the clock with official's whistle. Y-1 Point N-0 Points

F.Scoreboard Operator was prompt in adding points after made baskets and waited until foul was reported to change team foul count. Y-2 Points N-0 Points

Where Applicable:
G.Shot Clock Operator promptly started/stopped the clock on officials whistle/signal.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

H.Shot Clock Operator reset the clock at appropriate times.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

Total Score:

Scale:
12/14-10:Would love to have this crew working everywhere I go.
9-6:This is a good solid crew that needed minor instruction.
5 and below:E-mail your assignor immediately!This crew should not work at any level of HS basketball.School must replace crew in order to keep the services of this association.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I have no problems with student score keepers at the lower levels as long as they know exactly what they are doing! My JV scorekeepers know exactly what they are doing because I teach them myself certain things they must do to maintain game flow and control. I would not have a problem asking one of these students to handle a varsity game if I were ever unable to.

Wanja-If table ops are such an issue in your area why don't you and your brethren solve the problem by issuing table ratings.Here are some categories I would rate on:

A.All members of the crew (Scorekeeper,Scoreboard/Clock Operator,and Shot Clock operator-Where applicable) were present when R assumed control of the game. Y-2/3 Points N-0 Points

B.All members of the crew had their cell phones put away for the duration of this contest. Y-2/3 Points N-0 Points

C.Official scorekeeper made contact with reporting official on all fouls.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

D.Official scorekeeper communicated effectively with officials on the floor regarding bonus,timeouts remaining,and disqualifications.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

E.Official scorekeeper communicated with visiting scorekeeper.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

E.Scoreboard Operator was prompt on stopping the clock with official's whistle. Y-1 Point N-0 Points

F.Scoreboard Operator was prompt in adding points after made baskets and waited until foul was reported to change team foul count. Y-2 Points N-0 Points

Where Applicable:
G.Shot Clock Operator promptly started/stopped the clock on officials whistle/signal.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

H.Shot Clock Operator reset the clock at appropriate times.
Y-1 Point N-0 Points

Total Score:

Scale:
12/14-10:Would love to have this crew working everywhere I go.
9-6:This is a good solid crew that needed minor instruction.
5 and below:E-mail your assignor immediately!This crew should not work at any level of HS basketball.School must replace crew in order to keep the services of this association.
Ok, let's make this list mandatory throughout the land, this way all those that work table crew & ADs know what needs to be worked on.

Of course, this does raise the question of how many ADs follow what is written in the 2009-2011 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual Appendix 4.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Remind me not to bring Krispy Kremes home for you from the next rabbit show which involves driving past one. :P I water him at least 2x times a day, but not after Midnight. I don't want him to turn into a Gremlin.
Just when I thought things on here couldn't possibly get more derailed I see this new poster.