The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Got some Q's

This is the local college game.

1.) The coach (home) got T'd up. Does he not have to sit in college? I never once saw him sit, he just kept his mouth shut after that.

2.) There was a post play/pivot move away from the C with both the T and L on that side (obviously, but you never know). The C called the foul, block/hold I can't remember. Was he in the right? Was that his PCA?

3.) The ref is administering a throw-in on the end line near the corner. This is the home team's side of the gym and bench. There are couple guys that like to stand in that corner area/door way and hoot and holler and dumb a$$es. This kid kept creeping closer and closer towards the area of play. He disagreed with the call this ref had just made. The guy asked him to take his seat, the kid didnt and took a step toward the ref. The ref said buh-bye to which the kid grabbed his coat but still stood there and kept talking. Thankfully the AD was walking by and the ref grabbed him. Question is, had the AD not walked by, how much are you allowed/going to stand there and make sure this kid leaves? (I know these two, I would've tossed them too. They just make stupid stupid comments and holler awfully rude things that shouldn't be said at all let alone to an official. He wouldn't have shut up if the ref just resumed play after the kid refused to leave the gym.)

4.) I know I don't call college, but I just want to know whats going on when I'm a fan at these games. Is there somewhere online you can get both NCAA rules?

And can I say, just for the record, I really really dislike being a fan that officiates surrounded by arm chair refs and basketball parents. They yell the dumbest crap and rudest comments. I'm pretty sure thats it, if not I'll let you all know.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the link for the NCAA 2010-11 Men's and Women's Basketball Rules

NCAA Publications - 2009-2011 Men's & Women's Basketball Rules (2 Year Publicaton)

NCAA Men's and Women's Casebook 2010-11

NCAA Publications - 2010 Men's & Women's Basketball Case Book (2 Year Publication)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks APG.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance "TJ" View Post
Thanks APG.
No problem...I actually have rule books for just about any sport/level that I watch haha
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2.) There was a post play/pivot move away from the C with both the T and L on that side (obviously, but you never know). The C called the foul, block/hold I can't remember. Was he in the right? Was that his PCA?
HTBT but sometimes if the play originated in your PCA, you follow it through and thus may actually make a call outside your PCA. Typically I try to avoid that but if it is a fast play you may actually have the best position on it even if it moves out of your PCA. If OTOH, it was a post play/pivot move that was clearly all post area, the C would be ball watching IMHO

Quote:

3.) The ref is administering a throw-in on the end line near the corner. This is the home team's side of the gym and bench. There are couple guys that like to stand in that corner area/door way and hoot and holler and dumb a$$es. This kid kept creeping closer and closer towards the area of play. He disagreed with the call this ref had just made. The guy asked him to take his seat, the kid didnt and took a step toward the ref. The ref said buh-bye to which the kid grabbed his coat but still stood there and kept talking. Thankfully the AD was walking by and the ref grabbed him. Question is, had the AD not walked by, how much are you allowed/going to stand there and make sure this kid leaves? (I know these two, I would've tossed them too. They just make stupid stupid comments and holler awfully rude things that shouldn't be said at all let alone to an official. He wouldn't have shut up if the ref just resumed play after the kid refused to leave the gym.)
You call time out, find your game administrator and let them handle it. I never tell a spectator to take a seat. I can tell them to move if they are obstructing play but any other issues i have with spectators I take up with the GA and let him/her handle it.

Robby
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1.) The coach (home) got T'd up. Does he not have to sit in college? I never once saw him sit, he just kept his mouth shut after that.

4.) I know I don't call college, but I just want to know whats going on when I'm a fan at these games. Is there somewhere online you can get both NCAA rules?

And can I say, just for the record, I really really dislike being a fan that officiates surrounded by arm chair refs and basketball parents. They yell the dumbest crap and rudest comments. I'm pretty sure thats it, if not I'll let you all know.
1) No, the coach does not have to sit.

2) I'm not sure from your description, but an active C often has a ggod look at this -- especially of the contact was away from the L.

3) In small college, it's a lot like HS -- get someone to take care of the idiots.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
HTBT but sometimes if the play originated in your PCA, you follow it through and thus may actually make a call outside your PCA. Typically I try to avoid that but if it is a fast play you may actually have the best position on it even if it moves out of your PCA. If OTOH, it was a post play/pivot move that was clearly all post area, the C would be ball watching IMHO
Play started with pass to the forward on the block opposite the C. The player pivoted out with a dribble-back to C facing the T's direction, picked up the dribble, pivoted back in towards the basket-turned and opened up body and was facing almost in C's direction then moved to face basket, which was when the foul was called, on the basket move. What I think was making me question it besides the PCA, was that there were bodies in between the C and the play. I thought the other two had better looks. It was the correct call. There was enough contact to be called.

Thanks for your answers. I appreciate it.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like C had a good angle to make the call from your description
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
No problem...I actually have rule books for just about any sport/level that I watch haha
Do you have an online site for NFHS rules and casebook?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Do you have an online site for NFHS rules and casebook?
I believe you have to be a member of NFHS to have access to them. If you are, you should be able to access it for free. I believe BillyMac would be able to help you with that.

Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2) I'm not sure from your description, but an active C often has a good look at this -- especially of the contact was away from the L.
Right, and we pregame this around here. Often C has a great look: T or L is straight-lined, and there's players between the other one and the ball, but C can see right through the lane and has the perfect angle. C has got to get it, and to get his nose over there so it doesn't look like he's a mile away.