The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Tech For The Student Section??

A Boys Varsity game between the 2 teams predicted to win the conference, big crowd. Near the end of the second quarter the Home team is shooting free throws and when he makes the first the student section (for home team) yells "SUNK IT", sounds like "suck it", there was also a cow bell sound,from the band that is gathering to play at half. The Lead goes to the AD who was standing in the area, and asks if he heard that and the AD says yes I took care of it (thinking he was talking about the cow bell). Player makes second freethrow, student section yells "SUNK IT" and the lead turns and gives the student section a technical foul. The home Team still won, but I was wondering if any of you have ever come across a situation like this?? I have never seen this happen. A technical on the Home Team crowd for heckling there own shooter?? I am still fairly new to Officiating and I am not sure what he used to justify his technical.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargil View Post
player makes second freethrow, student section yells "sunk it" and the lead turns and gives the student section a technical foul.
ooo. Imho.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

I'll bet he gives a T to the crowd everytime they yell "bullshirt" after he makes a call too.

The crowd pays $2.00 - $5.00 to get in. I'll let them get their admission's worth as long as it doesn't become too personal/crude etc. I treat them differently than bench personnel. The crowd is game management's problem as much as possible. I personally don't have a problem with "sunk it" or "bull.....", "blind man walking" etc ........

I have far greater things to worry about than that.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 10:15am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
You have just done your first game with "That Guy".
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Fans do not exist.

*Congrats to my 100th post, 4 years in the making."
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the guy (1) worries too much about the crowd, (2) wants to show his authority and (3) is out of line.

I don't worry about the crowd as a whole. If it is one person or a small group I will inform game mangement that they need to handle the situation. When you as an official start interacting with the crowd, nothing good comes out of it IMHO.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 11:05am.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

How does "that guy" get games of this magnitude.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:03am
9 times

I've said it before and I'll say it again...THIS IS NOT GOLF. Fans are allowed to yell. If players can't hack it, they need to take up another sport, like golf. We have no authority to penalize a crowd for something like this.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
I am still fairly new to Officiating and I am not sure what he used to justify his technical.
Why don't you ask him? Part of learning as a new official is to inquire about things you don't understand. Please find out as we want to know
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I did not work the game with him, I worked the JV prior to this game. I also thought he spent way too much time standing with the coaches during breaks in the action and during freethrows listening to thier complaints. There was times when he was talking with the one coach as trail while the Lead was administering free throws at the other end. (2 man game)
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:13am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Why don't you ask him? Part of learning as a new official is to inquire about things you don't understand. Please find out as we want to know
Phrase it like this: "RobbyinTN wants to know..."
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
I did not work the game with him, I worked the JV prior to this game. I also thought he spent way too much time standing with the coaches during breaks in the action and during freethrows listening to thier complaints. There was times when he was talking with the one coach as trail while the Lead was administering free throws at the other end. (2 man game)
You can learn from watching officials at the next level from you. Sometimes, you learn what not to do. (And, anyone who has watched me work can attest to that last point.)
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:54am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
We have no authority to penalize a crowd for something like this.
Not entirely true.

NFHS 2-8-1 gives us such authority, but the NOTE attached to it is very important. The key word there is "discretion."

Was the OP's situation "interfer(ing) with the proper conduct of the game?" I certainly don't think so. That "sunk it" chant sounds fine, but no cowbell during game play. (Sorry, Mr. Walken.)

Alert game management, let them deal with it, and if the artificial noisemaking persists, THEN consider a T.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Not now but back then you bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
When you as an official start interacting with the crowd, nothing good comes out of it IMHO.
Not entirely true. BV game last night, 3 man crew (as they all are in WA) and I'm working with the #1 official in our association. He told me that his first varsity game (30 years ago) was at this very school. On that day back in history there were two older women that struck up a conversation with him before the game started. At one point they commented on his skin and bones appearance and asked him when he would be back at that school. The next time he showed up they had a big bag of homemade cookies and an apple pie for him. Those were the days.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
Not entirely true. BV game last night, 3 man crew (as they all are in WA) and I'm working with the #1 official in our association. He told me that his first varsity game (30 years ago) was at this very school. On that day back in history there were two older women that struck up a conversation with him before the game started. At one point they commented on his skin and bones appearance and asked him when he would be back at that school. The next time he showed up they had a big bag of homemade cookies and an apple pie for him. Those were the days.
After they made the pie - they hung up the bushel basket for the game!!