The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

A night of several firsts

Had my first ever elbow swinging violation.

Had my first instance of one hypothetical play that has been beaten to death here: A1 jumps and either throws a pass or maybe it was a shot (not a ton of talent and it was real hard to tell) from behind 3 point line, off the head of defender B1, into the hoop.

Had my first ever instance of checking the book and finding a coach had indeed left off a player. Counted players when we came out at 15. Coaches and captains pregame at 12. "Coaches is everyone legally equipped blah blah blah... Okay then please double check the book have a great game." Captains meeting, turn around and at 10:45 find V has 14 on the floor and 13 in the book. We were seconds away I suppose from starting with free throws. Honestly in 14 years I haven't had it happen once.

Had a couple other firsts in the last few weeks, but they were so bone-headed they probably deserve a thread of their own!
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Had my first ever instance of checking the book and finding a coach had indeed left off a player. Counted players when we came out at 15. Coaches and captains pregame at 12. "Coaches is everyone legally equipped blah blah blah... Okay then please double check the book have a great game." Captains meeting, turn around and at 10:45 find V has 14 on the floor and 13 in the book. We were seconds away I suppose from starting with free throws. Honestly in 14 years I haven't had it happen once.
Check the book first, then have the meeting.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
We are directed to follow this process: have captains meeting at 12:00 (coaches need not be present), check book at 10:00, greet coaches starting with visiting coach at 2:00 to ask if players are "legally equipped".
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would like this better also. I am following local direction. When in Rome...
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:14am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
We are directed to follow this process: have captains meeting at 12:00 (coaches need not be present), check book at 10:00, greet coaches starting with visiting coach at 2:00 to ask if players are "legally equipped".
Interesting.

We check the book at 12:00, then have the Captains meeting...

By waiting to check the book until 10:00, aren't you kind of setting the table for more admin T's? If there are mistakes, it's too late to fix them without penalty.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Interesting.

By waiting to check the book until 10:00, aren't you kind of setting the table for more admin T's? If there are mistakes, it's too late to fix them without penalty.
Captain's meeting takes about 30 seconds or less. The book is checked well before the 10 minute mark.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Captain's meeting takes about 30 seconds or less. The book is checked well before the 10 minute mark.
+1.

In a way, I like having the meeting at 12 then checking the book. Me thinks we do it that way to cut down on the 3 minute captains meeting by "that guy". Mine takes about 15 seconds.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Uhmmm...ok. Thanks for that info. But the person I quoted stated that they are directed to check the book at 10:00...that's why I asked him the question.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:29pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
....... V has 14 on the floor and 13 in the book. We were seconds away I suppose from starting with free throws.
Only if the missing player was a starter. You knew that, right?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Only if the missing player was a starter. You knew that, right?
If V14 needs to be added to the book, it's a T whether V14 is a starter.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If V14 needs to be added to the book, it's a T whether V14 is a starter.
But if he's not a starter, you wouldn't start with a T unless the coach chose to have him added before the game began, which I believe was his point.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 06:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Interesting.

+1. That's how we do it here, and it's exactly why.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

On court at 15:00. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 12:10pm
Back from the DL

Talking "Quit It!"

Two firsts for me in a MS doubleheader yesterday:

*Girls' game: A-1 is fouled and scores. I administer the lone free throw ("ONE!"), which is missed, and drops to the floor outside the left block (opposite side). All the girls remain stationary while looking at me. I look back at them with a slight smile. A few seconds pass, until it dawns on B-2 (first space on the left side) that the ball is live, so she takes a few steps to pick it up. Finally, I hear from a bench, "it was only one shot!" Play resumes.

*Boys' game: A-1 is fouled and scores. I administer the lone free throw. A-2 and B-2, in first and second spaces on the right (table side) are sticking their arms out, and nudging each other a bit. It escalates a bit, and just after the release, one yells "QUIT IT!" as it becomes foul-worthy. Tweet, basket is good, double foul. My partner seeks clarity that the fouls were after the release. They were, so I report both fouls, basket counts, B can run the end line.

After the game, my partner says, "I should've seen that. One of those guys is supposed to me mine." True, but I don't believe it's that cut and dry. Like the PCA, if you see something in your partner's area, it shouldn't go ignored.

You'll never know what you'll see at this level.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Like the PCA, if you see something in your partner's area, it shouldn't go ignored.
While it's not applicable to your situation, this statement is one of the fastest ways to incorrect calls imagineable.
In normal play, if you think you see something in your partner's PCA, ignore it.
In normal play, if you see something in your partner's PCA that makes you think, "he should have probably called that," ignore it.
In normal play, if you see something in your partner's PCA that makes you think, "he really should have called that," ignore it.
In normal play, if you see something in your partner's PCA that makes you think, "HOLY CRAP!" go ahead and call it.

You need to be almost willing to stake your officiating career that you were right, because if you do it enough, you will be doing just that.