The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A night of several firsts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60379-night-several-firsts.html)

biggravy Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:31am

A night of several firsts

Had my first ever elbow swinging violation.

Had my first instance of one hypothetical play that has been beaten to death here: A1 jumps and either throws a pass or maybe it was a shot (not a ton of talent and it was real hard to tell) from behind 3 point line, off the head of defender B1, into the hoop.

Had my first ever instance of checking the book and finding a coach had indeed left off a player. Counted players when we came out at 15. Coaches and captains pregame at 12. "Coaches is everyone legally equipped blah blah blah... Okay then please double check the book have a great game." Captains meeting, turn around and at 10:45 find V has 14 on the floor and 13 in the book. We were seconds away I suppose from starting with free throws. Honestly in 14 years I haven't had it happen once.

Had a couple other firsts in the last few weeks, but they were so bone-headed they probably deserve a thread of their own! :D

bob jenkins Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 712532)
Had my first ever instance of checking the book and finding a coach had indeed left off a player. Counted players when we came out at 15. Coaches and captains pregame at 12. "Coaches is everyone legally equipped blah blah blah... Okay then please double check the book have a great game." Captains meeting, turn around and at 10:45 find V has 14 on the floor and 13 in the book. We were seconds away I suppose from starting with free throws. Honestly in 14 years I haven't had it happen once.

Check the book first, then have the meeting.

chartrusepengui Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 712539)

We are directed to follow this process: have captains meeting at 12:00 (coaches need not be present), check book at 10:00, greet coaches starting with visiting coach at 2:00 to ask if players are "legally equipped".

biggravy Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 712539)

I would like this better also. I am following local direction. When in Rome...

rockyroad Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 712542)
We are directed to follow this process: have captains meeting at 12:00 (coaches need not be present), check book at 10:00, greet coaches starting with visiting coach at 2:00 to ask if players are "legally equipped".

Interesting.

We check the book at 12:00, then have the Captains meeting...

By waiting to check the book until 10:00, aren't you kind of setting the table for more admin T's? If there are mistakes, it's too late to fix them without penalty.

mj Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 712545)
Interesting.

By waiting to check the book until 10:00, aren't you kind of setting the table for more admin T's? If there are mistakes, it's too late to fix them without penalty.

Captain's meeting takes about 30 seconds or less. The book is checked well before the 10 minute mark.

biggravy Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 712556)
Captain's meeting takes about 30 seconds or less. The book is checked well before the 10 minute mark.

+1.

In a way, I like having the meeting at 12 then checking the book. Me thinks we do it that way to cut down on the 3 minute captains meeting by "that guy". Mine takes about 15 seconds.

rockyroad Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 712556)

Uhmmm...ok. Thanks for that info. But the person I quoted stated that they are directed to check the book at 10:00...that's why I asked him the question.

just another ref Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 712532)
....... V has 14 on the floor and 13 in the book. We were seconds away I suppose from starting with free throws.

Only if the missing player was a starter. You knew that, right?

bob jenkins Thu Jan 06, 2011 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 712620)
Only if the missing player was a starter. You knew that, right?

If V14 needs to be added to the book, it's a T whether V14 is a starter.

Eastshire Thu Jan 06, 2011 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 712665)
If V14 needs to be added to the book, it's a T whether V14 is a starter.

But if he's not a starter, you wouldn't start with a T unless the coach chose to have him added before the game began, which I believe was his point.

Adam Thu Jan 06, 2011 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 712545)
Interesting.

+1. That's how we do it here, and it's exactly why.

BillyMac Thu Jan 06, 2011 07:25pm

In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

On court at 15:00. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00.

bainsey Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10pm

"Quit It!"

Two firsts for me in a MS doubleheader yesterday:

*Girls' game: A-1 is fouled and scores. I administer the lone free throw ("ONE!"), which is missed, and drops to the floor outside the left block (opposite side). All the girls remain stationary while looking at me. I look back at them with a slight smile. A few seconds pass, until it dawns on B-2 (first space on the left side) that the ball is live, so she takes a few steps to pick it up. Finally, I hear from a bench, "it was only one shot!" Play resumes.

*Boys' game: A-1 is fouled and scores. I administer the lone free throw. A-2 and B-2, in first and second spaces on the right (table side) are sticking their arms out, and nudging each other a bit. It escalates a bit, and just after the release, one yells "QUIT IT!" as it becomes foul-worthy. Tweet, basket is good, double foul. My partner seeks clarity that the fouls were after the release. They were, so I report both fouls, basket counts, B can run the end line.

After the game, my partner says, "I should've seen that. One of those guys is supposed to me mine." True, but I don't believe it's that cut and dry. Like the PCA, if you see something in your partner's area, it shouldn't go ignored.

You'll never know what you'll see at this level.

Adam Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 713094)
Like the PCA, if you see something in your partner's area, it shouldn't go ignored.

While it's not applicable to your situation, this statement is one of the fastest ways to incorrect calls imagineable.
In normal play, if you think you see something in your partner's PCA, ignore it.
In normal play, if you see something in your partner's PCA that makes you think, "he should have probably called that," ignore it.
In normal play, if you see something in your partner's PCA that makes you think, "he really should have called that," ignore it.
In normal play, if you see something in your partner's PCA that makes you think, "HOLY CRAP!" go ahead and call it.

You need to be almost willing to stake your officiating career that you were right, because if you do it enough, you will be doing just that.