The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

I got it . . . you get it . . . ohhhh

Bizarre start up last night, got me thinking.

The situation was that a team came out and set up in the defensive end of the court, and sent their PG to jump ball. No big deal.

As I toss it up the little guy stays on the floor and gets into a defensive stance. Opposition wins the tap if awkwardly at the confusion and the team who lost the tap is set up in their 3/4 court trap and springs it immediately. Leads to a turnover on a pass out of bounds. The game is off and rolling.

What I got thinking, is I know the game starts with a tap of the ball by 1 of the two jumpers. If the same play happens but the opponent decides he's confused and opts not to tap the ball and it comes down without being touched?? what occurs? We wait to start the clock and play until someone touches it? Can someone else sweep in and get it? Do we have to rejump and demand someone touch it or call unsportsmanlikes??

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 05:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Blow it dead and toss it again, make sure the clock hasn't run.
6-3-6
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 05:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
blow it dead and toss it again, make sure the clock hasn't run.
6-3-6
+1
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 08:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jumping Jacks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
6-3-6
The tossed ball must be touched by one or both of the jumpers after
it reaches its highest point. If the ball contacts the floor without being touched by
at least one of the jumpers, the referee shall toss it again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the rule citation.

I guess the next extension of this ridiculous situation is how long could a team/player try to wait out the other? How many tosses before you do something more then toss it again? Then what do you do?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 08:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ask And You Will Receive; For Everyone Who Asks, Receives. (Luke 11:9-10) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Then what do you do?
10-3-5-A: A player shall not: Delay the game by acts such as: Preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 08:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Honestly, I suppose you could direct them to try to tap the ball if you go through a few tosses. But I really doubt you'd have that happen.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

6-3.8 note

During a jump ball, a jumper is not required to face his/her own basket, provided he/she is in the proper half of the center restraining circle. The jumper is also not required to jump and attempt to touch the tossed ball. However, if neither jumper touches the ball it should be tossed again with both jumpers being ordered to jump and try to touch the ball.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I guess the next extension of this ridiculous situation is how long could a team/player try to wait out the other? How many tosses before you do something more then toss it again? Then what do you do?
\

I don't think you'd have to worry about it happening twice. It might catch the other jumper by surprise once but he's going to tap it the next time. Kinda silly to think it's going to happen over and over. Kids want to play or they wouldn't have showed up.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

If all else fails, toss is really crooked such that they can't miss it.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Young MC (1989)

Quote:
I got it, you get it.
The title of this thread has been bothering me for two days. It reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it, until this morning. Twenty-two years really flew by.

Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bizarre start up last night, got me thinking.

The situation was that a team came out and set up in the defensive end of the court, and sent their PG to jump ball. No big deal.

As I toss it up the little guy stays on the floor and gets into a defensive stance. Opposition wins the tap if awkwardly at the confusion and the team who lost the tap is set up in their 3/4 court trap and springs it immediately. Leads to a turnover on a pass out of bounds. The game is off and rolling.

What I got thinking, is I know the game starts with a tap of the ball by 1 of the two jumpers. If the same play happens but the opponent decides he's confused and opts not to tap the ball and it comes down without being touched?? what occurs? We wait to start the clock and play until someone touches it? Can someone else sweep in and get it? Do we have to rejump and demand someone touch it or call unsportsmanlikes??
As 1 FIBA guy to another...

I pretty sure our US brethern are quoting you the NF / NCAA interpretations. I'm fairly certain the FIBA interpretations have been different in the past but after some digging in the the rulebook it sounds as if the rule is the same...

Art. 12 Jump ball and alternating possession

12.2 Jump ball procedure
12.2.1 Each jumper shall stand with both feet inside the half of the centre circle nearest to his team’s own basket (FIBA: you defend your basket) with one foot close to the centre line.

12.2.2 Team-mates may not occupy adjacent positions around the circle if an opponent wishes to occupy one of those positions.

12.2.3 The official shall then toss the ball vertically upwards between the two (2) opponents, higher than either of them can reach by jumping.

12.2.4 The ball must be tapped with the hand(s) of at least one of the jumpers after it reaches its highest point.

12.2.5 Neither jumper shall leave his position until the ball has been legally tapped.

12.2.6 Neither jumper may catch the ball or tap it more than twice until it has touched one of the non-jumpers or the floor.

12.2.7 If the ball is not tapped by at least one of the jumpers, the jump ball shall be repeated.

12.2.8 No part of a non-jumper's body may be on or over the circle line (cylinder) before the ball has been tapped.

An infraction of Art. 12.2.1, 12.2.4, 12.2.5, 12.2.6, and 12.2.8 is a violation.

FIBA 12.2.7 addresses the question...

Quote:

After the 2nd re-jump my partner "might" see a violation....
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 02:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
During a jump ball, a jumper is not required to face his/her own basket, provided he/she is in the proper half of the center restraining circle. The jumper is also not required to jump and attempt to touch the tossed ball. However, if neither jumper touches the ball it should be tossed again with both jumpers being ordered to jump and try to touch the ball.

Sco53:

Thank you. You found the rules reference for me. This appplies to both NFHS and NCAA games.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 03:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post
After the 2nd re-jump my partner "might" see a violation....
On who?Both opponents are doing the same thing. Are you just going to pick one and let the other off for doing the same thing? That's hardly fair. A double violation doesn't work either because the result of that is just a re-jump.

I'm not really sure where you're coming from with that advice.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 03:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Honestly, I suppose you could direct them to try to tap the ball if you go through a few tosses. But I really doubt you'd have that happen.
After a couple, you could designate the U to toss. And watch real close for a violation by a non-jumper outside the circle.