The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

A coupe of good ones, I thought....

Watching, not officiating, a high profile tournament last week. I have seen this crew before, and they are very experienced and apparently comfortable with the coaches in their area. I say that because I noticed one of them occasionally 'coaching' players after calls, about what he could/could not do legally. (Personally, not my style, as it's not my job. But whatever.

After a whistle near A's bench, I hear A coach tell the official, "Good call." The official replies, "Thanks, I get a lot of them right."

Myself, earlier in the year, had a BC call in a VB contest, and the coach (notoriously loud and T'd across associations) did not agree. And he proceeded to tell me the ball went off B's foot. Loudly. Next trip by happened on the next possession, I say "Coach, if you won't yell, I will tell you what I saw." He starts to yell and I interrupt him, "I said if you won't yell", to which he apologized and said OK. I explained I saw the A1 dribble off his own foot into BC where he regained control. If it was off B's foot, then I missed it." He said "Thanks."

Should have T'd him, and I know it. I had the next game of the tournament. During a dead ball, he is watching and again apologizes. I tell him I owe him one, and he starts to talk about how I missed the call. I stop him and say, "No, I owe you a technical." He laughs and says I am probably right again.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

After a close OOB call a couple weeks ago the kid subsequently throwing the ball inbounds told me "Good call." I told him to be sure to remember that on the next call he didn't like. He actually seemed to understand...clearly not coach material.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 01:45pm
I miss being on the floor

As far as "coaching" players...if they ask what's legal and what's not, why wouldn't you explain it? We're supposed to know the rules, and they come to us for answers because they don't know a rule. I see nothing wrong with explaining, even "coaching"

I did this during a 7th grade game. I called a traveling violation on a kid. Then during a dead ball, he asked, very politely, what he did to travel. I explained, he said thank you and on we went. His coach even thanked me for explaining that to his player.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 02:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Explaining when they ask is one thing; explaining when they don't ask is quite another.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 02:40pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Explaining when they ask is one thing; explaining when they don't ask is quite another.
I think that depends upon the level.

If I call a plane violation in a middle school game, there are sometimes confused looks. (Don't know why; I've known that rule since I was in pee wee basketball in the '70s.) After I report to the table and the coach, I'll briefly say, "Did everyone understand what just happened here? Defense, don't reach across the line on a throw in. The first time is a warning, after that, it's a technical foul."

I normally don't do that for high school games. I did it once for a JV game, and the coach happily thanked more for it.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 02:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

If I call a plane violation in a middle school game, there are sometimes confused looks. (Don't know why; I've known that rule since I was in pee wee basketball in the '70s.) After I report to the table and the coach, I'll briefly say, "Did everyone understand what just happened here? Defense, don't reach across the line on a throw in. The first time is a warning, after that, it's a technical foul."

I normally don't do that for high school games. I did it once for a JV game, and the coach happily thanked more for it.
In a ms game with a player with a confused look on a play like that, I might address him personally, but I wouldn't address everyone on the court.

JV game? No way I'd even do that. I'm not saying there aren't players and coaches at the JV level who don't understand it (I've seen a varsity coach from Denver claim not to know the rule about t-shirt colors); but if they don't then I'm not going to help them during a game.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Can't say I'd do that...even in a middle school game. I'd just remind the defender not to cross the plane.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 03:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Middle School Geometry ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
In a middle school game. I'd just remind the defender not to cross the plane.
"Pretend the boundary line is a giant sheet of glass. You can't go through the glass".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 05:19pm.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Forgive me, for I've sinned !

I had a girl in a private school game tell me " I'm sorry " when I called a traveling violation on her . me: oh ,it's OK, happens all the time !
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
I had a girl in a private school game tell me " I'm sorry " when I called a traveling violation on her . me: oh ,it's OK, happens all the time !

I had a JVG tell me 'good call' once. My reply, 'Glad you think so, your coach thinks we're idiots.'
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:

imo, the throw in, and plane violations are one of the most missunderstood rules of all for players and coaches ,and rarely called by officials. Every game I observe , multiple times the defender has their hands in the throwers face , and lots of times their feet on the out of bounds side as well. The throwers rarely ever know they can step back a step or two, or move side to side within the 3 foot limit . Probably reinforced by us pointing to a "spot" .
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Try It, It Works, Guaranteed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
The throw in, and plane violations are one of the most missunderstood rules of all for players and coaches,and rarely called by officials. Every game I observe, multiple times the defender has their hands in the throwers face, and lots of times their feet on the out of bounds side as well.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

i had a point guard throw a lazy pass, on the wing, and was intercepted by post player who had several dunks. guard sets up below free throw line and grabs dribbler by waist. he then sits down while holding him. I go "intentional". coach asks me, half heartedly, "are you sure...". I am about to let him know i was POSITIVE... when the point guard walks by and tells him coach; "tell him about it coach, that wasn't intentional. i did that on purpose!"