The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Count Out Loud

20 years of officiating and I had a first last night. Team A is taking the ball out of bounds on the baseline in the backcourt and the player inbounding to ball asked me if I can count out load for her? I told her NO. I told her she is in college and should be able to count to 5 in her head, we had a chuckle together.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Did you consider the possibility she might be blind?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Blind people can't count to five in their heads?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Blind people can't count to five in their heads?
Yes, but they can't see how fast or slow the official is counting.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
20 years of officiating and I had a first last night. Team A is taking the ball out of bounds on the baseline in the backcourt and the player inbounding to ball asked me if I can count out load for her? I told her NO. I told her she is in college and should be able to count to 5 in her head, we had a chuckle together.
Specifically not allowed. 2-7.9 and 2-7.10
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 01:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
the player inbounding to ball asked me if I can count out load for her?
Sure. "Load, load, load, load, load." And don't be too loud.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Specifically not allowed. 2-7.9 and 2-7.10
Agreed. But this past spring I attended the Heart of America Conference camp in Lawrence, KS and observed several of the officials vocalizing their inbound counts (which I have never done).

When I asked one of the clinicians about it, he said they (the referees who worked the HAAC, at least on the women's side) were told it was the preference of the commissioner that an audible count be given.

Perhaps the player asked because they had been the visiting team at a HAAC game and the officials counted for them?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 01:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
Agreed. But this past spring I attended the Heart of America Conference camp in Lawrence, KS and observed several of the officials vocalizing their inbound counts (which I have never done).

When I asked one of the clinicians about it, he said they (the referees who worked the HAAC, at least on the women's side) were told it was the preference of the commissioner that an audible count be given.

Perhaps the player asked because they had been the visiting team at a HAAC game and the officials counted for them?
NCAA Mens and Womens rules have different criteria in the rule book for time counts. They both specify either visibly or silently however. Neither of the them stipulates audibly for any time count.

Sooooo......you have the case here of a commissioner who is making up his very own rules. When in Rome/When not in Rome now applies.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

More people do it than you think.....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
NCAA Mens and Womens rules have different criteria in the rule book for time counts. They both specify either visibly or silently however. Neither of the them stipulates audibly for any time count.

Sooooo......you have the case here of a commissioner who is making up his very own rules. When in Rome/When not in Rome now applies.
Hey guys -

I went to a Coast to Coast school about 15 years ago (Jason Phillips and Matt Boland were campers) and I specifically remember Bob Delaney talking philosophy and saying that counting out loud helped the game.

How many of us tell players to keep moving with regards to the paint so we don't have to call three seconds....................

I have done it for years, it my be wrong but it helps build trust with the players........
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Hey guys -

I went to a Coast to Coast school about 15 years ago (Jason Phillips and Matt Boland were campers) and I specifically remember Bob Delaney talking philosophy and saying that counting out loud helped the game.

How many of us tell players to keep moving with regards to the paint so we don't have to call three seconds....................

I have done it for years, it my be wrong but it helps build trust with the players........
You're still not counting out loud though. The rule book says you are not supposed to count audibly. It doesn't say you can't "remind" players to keep moving in the lane.

I had a player on Tuesday ask me to count out loud on a throw-in as I was bouncing the ball to him. I shook my head no and said I couldn't. He was throwing the ball in again the next time I administered a throw-in and I explained to him briefly that the rules don't allow us to count out loud.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You're still not counting out loud though. The rule book says you are not supposed to count audibly. It doesn't say you can't "remind" players to keep moving in the lane.

I had a player on Tuesday ask me to count out loud on a throw-in as I was bouncing the ball to him. I shook my head no and said I couldn't. He was throwing the ball in again the next time I administered a throw-in and I explained to him briefly that the rules don't allow us to count out loud.
Can I remind a player that I am at 4 in the 5 second count ?????
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can I remind a player that I am at 4 in the 5 second count ?????
No, just like you can't remind a player that you're at 2 in the 3 second count in the lane. You can remind them that they need to keep moving in order to avoid a violation, so they really don't know where you are in your count.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 07:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Hey guys -

Sigh.........

Another NBE wannabe that thinks it's just perfectly OK to ignore the approved mechanics of the level they're working and substitute an unauthorized mechanic because they personally happen to feel it's better.

We all talk to players and coaches during games at the high school and college levels. And doing that bears absolutely no relation to verbally counting time counts. They're completely different animals.

Feel free to continue emulating your NBE idols. You're right in saying that it is wrong though at the high school and college levels. We don't get to use our very own personal mechanics, whether we personally like or don't like the ones the rulesmakers have given us.

And btw, build trust with players? You may want to change that to giving one team an unfair advantage not meant under the ruleset they're using.

JMO again.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 08:46am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Well, WE'RE all blind and we do it all the time, Tony.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2011, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Sigh.........

Another NBE wannabe that thinks it's just perfectly OK to ignore the approved mechanics of the level they're working and substitute an unauthorized mechanic because they personally happen to feel it's better.

We all talk to players and coaches during games at the high school and college levels. And doing that bears absolutely no relation to verbally counting time counts. They're completely different animals.

Feel free to continue emulating your NBE idols. You're right in saying that it is wrong though at the high school and college levels. We don't get to use our very own personal mechanics, whether we personally like or don't like the ones the rulesmakers have given us.

And btw, build trust with players? You may want to change that to giving one team an unfair advantage not meant under the ruleset they're using.

JMO again.

JR - I have a lot of respect for you on this site and you always bring up great points, but just hear me out...........

I take a lot of NBA "PHILOSOPHIES' and apply them to my game. I will admit I am more of a "game manager" than a "play caller". I think that these guys are more accepted by coaches and they are trusted by their assigners a bit more (assigners don't want phone calls).

We have had this conversation before, but I bet that Jim Burr is no better of a play caller than you, but he can diffuse situations better than either than us. That is why the old geezer is working every night !!!!!!!!!!

"over the back fouls" - just give the ball to the right team

call fouls on the bench players - keep the starters in the game

They all do it.............. not saying it is right, just accepted!!!!!!!!

Gotta go, my girl is suffering from post -champagne syndrome !!!!!!!!!!!!