The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 04:19am
Ok is the new good

Overtime and Timeouts!

At a Holiday Tourney last night...game goes to OT...2 Vet Officials working and they tell both coaches you get only 1 TO in the OT!

Who goofed? They ignore the carryout out of unused TOs. Assignor on site steps in to make the correction at the first break in the action. Coaches not thrilled with the crew but ultimately the rule was applied correctly.

Comments???
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

Timeouts carry over from the fourth quarter. Each team is also entitled to an extra full timeout for each overtime period.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Sure, we come up with bizarre situations on here that play in the shadowy areas of the rules, but stuff like this is pretty basic. Yet, it baffles me how much basic stuff some officials just don't really know.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Sure, we come up with bizarre situations on here that play in the shadowy areas of the rules, but stuff like this is pretty basic. Yet, it baffles me how much basic stuff some officials just don't really know.

IMHO more a product of they forgot. That's why constant refreshing of rules reading, especially case book for me, is a given.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 10:07am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
At a Holiday Tourney last night...game goes to OT...2 Vet Officials working and they tell both coaches you get only 1 TO in the OT!

Who goofed? They ignore the carryout out of unused TOs. Assignor on site steps in to make the correction at the first break in the action. Coaches not thrilled with the crew but ultimately the rule was applied correctly.

Comments???
The officials.... lets play on.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 10:07am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
IMHO more a product of they forgot. That's why constant refreshing of rules reading, especially case book for me, is a given.
Had one of my partners ask about a rare situation yesterday. Opening jump ball was not controlled by either team and two non-jumpers tied it up for a held ball.
He went with original jumpers, but it should have been between the two players who tied the ball up. Nobody really knew, but we had this on a test at the start of the season. One of those freaky things that rarely happens, unlike the OP's situation. Unless,......
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 10:15am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Had one of my partners ask about a rare situation yesterday. Opening jump ball was not controlled by either team and two non-jumpers tied it up for a held ball.
He went with original jumpers, but it should have been between the two players who tied the ball up. Nobody really knew, but we had this on a test at the start of the season. One of those freaky things that rarely happens, unlike the OP's situation. Unless,......
Sounds like he applied the college rule (can be any player though).
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 10:54am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Sounds like he applied the college rule (can be any player though).
He said he really didn't know, and probably nobody else even noticed.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agreed. We passionately, and fun lovingly , argue gray areas but a lot of this stuff is a no-brainer if you just read the rules.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Almost Only Counts In Horseshoes And Hand Grenades, Right ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
More a product of they forgot. That's why constant refreshing of rules reading, especially case book for me, is a given.
A few weeks ago I had a player foul out. I informed the coach and he asked me, "I've got thirty seconds? Right?". I almost automatically answered, "Yes, coach.", but a little voice inside of me said, "Twenty".

Learning the rules is the easy part. Keeping up with all the the rule changes over thirty years, well, that's another story entirely.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Did the tourney have a rule that made this the case? Sometimes that happens, especially in tournaments. In fact, we have that rule in our local kids rec league, not that I ever let it come into play.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Ain't Rocket Science, Or Brain Surgery, But It Ain't Easy Either ...

Last night had a band playing during clock stopped throwins. Went over to the band director and told him that he could only play during pregame, post game, timeouts, and intermissions. I wasn't sure if the band was restricted during thirty second timeouts, so I just left it as "timeouts" in general. During halftime we looked it up. The thirty second restriction is only for oncourt entertainment, that is, cheerleaders.

Sometimes you just draw a blank. Just got lucky here. Rule knowledge is definitely needed, but sometimes it you just need to be lucky. Flipped a mental coin, and won, this time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 31, 2010 at 02:22pm.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 02:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kind Of Like Burkes' Law ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Did the tourney have a rule that made this the case? In fact, we have that rule in our local kids rec league.
Don't lie. No you don't. "Mark Padgett's Tourney Rule" prohibits any timeouts in overtime, because there never is an overtime. Never. Ever.

Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 02:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Last night had a band playing during clock stopped throwins.
I've had a team band show up for several of my games already this yr. I love the atmosphere it brings to the event!
Old Sat Jan 01, 2011, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post

Thought that this was a question on the NHFS exam this year.....

Was on the IAABO exam for sure !!!!!!!