At $3.50 2 6.90%
At $4 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I've driven 240 miles total in the last two days going to games and have made $96 in mileage fees. That will buy almost three tanks of gas, which I haven't used in those two trips, so I'll make a little money on top of paying for my gas.

It seems like we're pretty lucky here.
You should understand that mileage reimbursement is not fuel reimbursement. The difference is that mileage covers depreciation and maintenance in addition to fuel. In most cases, the depreciation and maintenance amount to rather more than the cost of fuel.

For instance, average depreciation is $162 per 1000 miles. For your 240 miles, that would come to about $39, which would leave just $57 from your mileage fees. Depending on your vehicle, that's getting close to the cost of a tank of gas, and that doesn't factor in maintenance.

The other thing you might bear in mind is that the IRS mileage rate is 50¢/mile, and it seems you're getting 40¢/mile. The difference should be tax deductible ($24 for your current trip).

Sorry to be "Debbie Downer," but you're not likely making money off a mileage check.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

We alway travel as a crew to out of town games, so I'm only driving on one out of three trips. Gas prices suck but it was much worse two years ago when it went to $5.

We receive a flat fee for all games which is includes travel and is determined by the state association. You get the same fee whether driving 1 mile or 60 miles. We're fortunate that we don't drive more tahn an hour to any school.

We also work varsity doubleheaders ($85). So while we may not get as much as we would if we worked two games on two nights, we also only work one night for two games and we don't have double travel for two games.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Another thing to consider is that mileage that you drive that you are not reimbursed or paid for is either partially or fully tax deductible. See your acountant for details.
Actually, whether you get reimbursed for it or not, it would be tax deductible. The reimbursement is part of your income.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 04:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Am I you? Or are you me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
We get Zero for gas.

It's an hour drive there, be there 1 hour before the game starts, 1 and 1/2 hour for the game, shower, then another hour back home....
Same ole, same ole.

We could be twin sons of different mother's. Of course, it is the DC area.....
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You should understand that mileage reimbursement is not fuel reimbursement. The difference is that mileage covers depreciation and maintenance in addition to fuel. In most cases, the depreciation and maintenance amount to rather more than the cost of fuel.

For instance, average depreciation is $162 per 1000 miles. For your 240 miles, that would come to about $39, which would leave just $57 from your mileage fees. Depending on your vehicle, that's getting close to the cost of a tank of gas, and that doesn't factor in maintenance.

The other thing you might bear in mind is that the IRS mileage rate is 50¢/mile, and it seems you're getting 40¢/mile. The difference should be tax deductible ($24 for your current trip).

Sorry to be "Debbie Downer," but you're not likely making money off a mileage check.
You're right about the first part. I'm more worried about the wear and tear/depreciation on my car from miles driven than about paying for gas.

I deduct for mileage on taxes.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
$0.40 per mile isn't bad at all depending on the distance traveled.

It's only 10 cents less per mile than what the per mileage rate was for Census.

It just all depends on what type of mileage your vehicle gets as to whether or not it's good or not.

Here gas is around $3.20.
Why am I not surprised you know this?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Why am I not surprised you know this?
IIRC, he was a census taker. If that is the case, he would likely know it.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

The government reimbursement rate for 2010 was 50¢ per mile. This goes to 51¢ per mile in 2011. Every mile I drive for my day job (my office is in my house), including trips to the airport, are reimbursed at this rate. While I do understand depreciation and wear-and-tear on the car, I love that I get paid $26 for a round trip to the airport, which takes about 25 minutes each way.