At $3 3 10.34%
At $3.50 2 6.90%
At $4 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

$3.19

Vent: Im in an 8 game run of 80 mile round trippers.....3.19 hurts when you get 14 MPG....anyone have a spare moped?

In all seriousness...at what point do you think about gas costs and it's impact on the avocation?

I dont
$3?
$3.50?
$4?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

How much do you guys get for mileage? Gas just went up to $2.89 here today. We get 40 cents/mile, so it covers the gas plus some, even at $3/gallon. We also meet our partner and only take one car 99% of the time since the schools only pay one official round trip. (Or both guys one way)
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
Vent: Im in an 8 game run of 80 mile round trippers.....3.19 hurts when you get 14 MPG....anyone have a spare moped?

In all seriousness...at what point do you think about gas costs and it's impact on the avocation?

I dont
$3?
$3.50?
$4?
When you buy the car. There are plenty of choices that do far better.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 01:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't even consider it. I don't rely on my officiating money for anything, although it subsidizes my eating and drinking after games. It's a hobby for me. It's nice when conferences provide mileage, but I don't turn down games when they (or schools) don't.

I understand why others would consider it, though.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

$0.40 per mile isn't bad at all depending on the distance traveled.

It's only 10 cents less per mile than what the per mileage rate was for Census.

It just all depends on what type of mileage your vehicle gets as to whether or not it's good or not.

Here gas is around $3.20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
How much do you guys get for mileage? Gas just went up to $2.89 here today. We get 40 cents/mile, so it covers the gas plus some, even at $3/gallon. We also meet our partner and only take one car 99% of the time since the schools only pay one official round trip. (Or both guys one way)
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 05:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Never thought about it really.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't even consider it. I don't rely on my officiating money for anything,...
+1

Lately, I seem to average between 50 - 80 miles round trip. While I would like to get some of the closer games, it hasn't worked out for me yet.

We get zippo, zero, nada, the null set for gas money!

My car avgs 34 mpg on the hwy, which is nice!
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

This week I have 4 games at the same school, it's 45 miles each way.

We get Zero for gas.

It's an hour drive there, be there 1 hour before the game starts, 1 and 1/2 hour for the game, shower, then another hour back home....

But you got to love it to do it.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

I guess I start thinking about it when I start losing money on it.

Some conferences in our area pay mileage. Not a problem. Some pay just game fee so that depends on what the fee is and how far you have to travel. Game fees range from $35 - $60 for varsity games.

Still others, have decided to not pay mileage, but have raised game fees $10/official. So, we usually take the extra $10 and give it to the driver for gas. We also rotate driving. In our area, we travel as partners regularly.

But, while I love doing this - I won't lose money to do it. I guess at that point I'd have to watch more ball on the tube. Don't know as I could sit in the stands listening to the idiots very long before losing it!!
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

My general rule of thumb is that the game fee (we don't get mileage fee, but if we did, I'd include it here) in $ should be equal to or greater than the round trip distance in miles.

So, if I get $57 for a varsity game, I'd travel (in general) 28.5 miles each way.

There are exceptions, of course, but I have turned down conferences where the mileage is always in excess of that.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I've driven 240 miles total in the last two days going to games and have made $96 in mileage fees. That will buy almost three tanks of gas, which I haven't used in those two trips, so I'll make a little money on top of paying for my gas.

It seems like we're pretty lucky here.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

We don't get mileage here. Game fees are from $65-$90 depending on level. I do this as a hobby and a way to stay in shape so I don't worry too much about the costs of getting to and from games, etc. I don't think I have ever lost money with a game. My car gets about 27 MPG but requires premium fuel so I am paying another 20 cents a gallon on top of the already higher gas prices.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 09:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
My general rule of thumb is that the game fee (we don't get mileage fee, but if we did, I'd include it here) in $ should be equal to or greater than the round trip distance in miles.

So, if I get $57 for a varsity game, I'd travel (in general) 28.5 miles each way.

There are exceptions, of course, but I have turned down conferences where the mileage is always in excess of that.
If I had this rule, I'd probably have about 10 schools I could actually work.

EDITED to add: I found a radius drawing tool and it's actually more like 30 schools. Those schools, though, are concentrated in only a few conferences and these conferences have schools well outside this radius (for example, one conference has a few schools within 20 miles and one that takes me 1:45 to drive to). I have asked a few commissioners to limit the schools they send me to -- one conference has an east and west division and I've asked to only work in the East. They have one of the most generous mileage allotments, though, and it's ironic that I can pick up $30 in mileage driving 10 minutes less than to another school in the big conference around here and we get no mileage there.

One suggestion I'd make to anyone who drives a lot -- get a credit card that gives significant cash back on gas purchases -- I have a BP card. I get 5% back on all BP gas purchases (right now that gets me over $2.50 back per tank) and they also are running a Loyalty Card promotion (you take your receipt inside and they give you a scratch off card you enter on the Internet) that gives back another $2 per fill-up. So for every $50 I put in right now, I'm getting back about 9%.

Last edited by Rich; Thu Dec 30, 2010 at 09:24am.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Another thing to consider is that mileage that you drive that you are not reimbursed or paid for is either partially or fully tax deductible. See your acountant for details.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Of course I consider it. I probably travel as much as anyone for a high school game. And I do depend on the money considering I have gone back to school and do not have the same income I did for years. But in many cases when I go to games it is not my personal expense as I share rides with others. Then again I am able to take other travel options than a car, so it saves me a lot of money.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:25am
Archaic Power Monger

I'm not paying it too much mind right now. I do this for fun though the extra coin is nice at times. This is one of the few "hobbies" where I actually get a check in return.

I make a good living in a job I don't particularly enjoy, and officiating is an escape for me. So even if I did lose money, I think I'd keep doing it.

Besides, I drive a little commuter car that gets almost 30 mpg and most of the games I work are somewhere between work and home. We also get paid mileage, currently at $0.50 a mile so we do OK.