The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Two Players on the Floor

This happened to us twice in a BV game this past weekend. On a loose ball, both A1 and B1 arrive at the ball at the same time. Both make an attempt for the ball and collide, falling to the floor like sacks of potatoes. The second time, A2 and B2 were going for a loose ball which had been deflected into the air. As they reach for the ball, their wrists wrap around each others, laying the kids out and having them drop to the floor, another sack of potatoes. In both situations, the players were playing the ball, arrived simultaneously, and did not play each other. Both times, we had no calls. Coaches rode us (how can you not call something??!!), even our assignor thought you have to at least pick one for a foul. Seeing both plays quite well, I could not imagine calling on one - it had to be a double foul or no call, our crew opted for no call. How do you all handle these loose ball situations?

Last edited by lmeadski; Mon Dec 20, 2010 at 10:14am.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 09:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I go with a no-call. Was your assigner there? Did he/she see the plays in question from your angle?

A partner told me of the same critique he got from varsity officials last year. He had a no-call situation where two players were on the floor, and they told him he should really have a foul on that play.

He stayed to watch their varsity game, and they had the same thing happen in their game; with a no-call. He stayed til half-time to ask about it, and they all had a good laugh.

It's easier to critique someone for a no-call on this play than it is to pick a player and call a foul. If your assigner still insists you have something; a double might be the best option since it really doesn't penalize one team over the other.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
This happened to us twice in a BV game this past weekend. On a loose ball, both A1 and B1 arrive at the ball at the same time. Both make an attempt for the ball and collide, falling to the floor like sacks of potatoes. The second time, A2 and B2 were going for a loose ball which had been deflected into the air. As they reach for the ball, their wrists wrap around each others, laying the kids out and having them drop to th floor, another sack of potatoes. In both situations, the players were playing the ball, arrived simultaneously, and did not play each other. Both times, we had no calls. Coaches road us (how can you not call something), even our assignor thought you have to at least pick one for a foul. Seeing both plays quite well, I could not imaging calling on one - it had to be a double foul or no call, our crew opted for no call. How do you all handle these loose ball situations?
I follow the rules. Specifically NFHS rule 4-27-2&3 in the situation described above. No advantage gained = no foul called, no matter how severe the contact. It's that simple. You had it right imo and the rules back you up completely..

Stoopid monkey coaches and assignor.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Had the same play earlier this season. One girl was knocked unconscious. Did we call a foul? No.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

If they were going after a loose ball, no foul. If they were going after each other - different scenario.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 10:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
If they were going after a loose ball, no foul. If they were going after each other - different scenario.
It doesn't even have to be a loose ball. Could be a pass.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

But in the OP, they were both loose balls scenarios - thus why I stated it the way I did.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 10:34am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
And we segue into...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
But in the OP, they were both loose balls scenarios - thus why I stated it the way I did.

As a fan of the original ABA, I found this to be a great read. The Marvin Barnes time machine quote is worth the price of the book.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 11:55am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
.... even our assignor thought you have to at least pick one for a foul.
In any context, this is not great advice.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post

As a fan of the original ABA, I found this to be a great read. The Marvin Barnes time machine quote is worth the price of the book.
One of the most unique reads you'll ever have -- if only for the way Terry and his publishers organize and present it. Can't recall another book like it, though it's been a few years since I read it.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It doesn't even have to be a loose ball. Could be a pass.
Isn't a pass a loose ball?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 02:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Isn't a pass a loose ball?
Not in my book.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 02:33pm
Back from the DL

Okay, now ONE player on the floor...

A-1 is on the floor, with a loose ball within his reach. B-2 dives over A-1 and while his hands are right over the ball, his chest/torso land on top of A-1.

I had a foul. Coach played the "he was going for the ball" card. I'm certainly going to give some leniancy if you're playing the ball, but not if you use your opponent as a landing strip. Besides, I believe someone here established that, crazy as it may sound, A-1 is entitled to that spot on the floor.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 02:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Easy foul call. Aren't a large percentage of fouls results of someone 'going for the ball'?
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
A-1 is on the floor, with a loose ball within his reach. B-2 dives over A-1 and while his hands are right over the ball, his chest/torso land on top of A-1.

I had a foul. Coach played the "he was going for the ball" card. I'm certainly going to give some leniancy if you're playing the ball, but not if you use your opponent as a landing strip. Besides, I believe someone here established that, crazy as it may sound, A-1 is entitled to that spot on the floor.

Thoughts?
Thoughts: "He was going for the ball" is in The Coaches Handbook of Things to Say When You Don't Know What to Say. It's right between "That's gotta be something" and "How can you not call that?"