The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical foul situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60198-technical-foul-situation.html)

newera21 Sun Dec 19, 2010 06:18pm

Technical foul situation

Between the first and second quarter, A1 has a disagreement with his coach, removes his jersey in the bench area, tosses the jersey to his coach, leaves the bench area and goes to the locker room which is across the floor from the bench. The officials called a technical foul on the player for removing his jersey and also a direct technical on the coach for allowing a team member to leave the bench area for an unauthorized reason to demonstrate resentment or disgust (Rule 10-5-5) The second quarter started with four technical free throws and a division line throw-in for Team B. Were the officials correct?

BktBallRef Sun Dec 19, 2010 06:41pm

The player definitely receives a T for removing the jersey.

10-3-6i states the player receives a T for leaving.

10-5-5 states that the coach receives one, too.

Adam Sun Dec 19, 2010 06:43pm

Yes.
10-3-6h
10-5-5

Although I probably wouldn't have called the T for the player leaving the bench area.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 19, 2010 06:51pm

By rule, I think so.

If the official knows the facts as presented in the question, iI'd try to only have one T (once A1 gives his jersey to the coach, he's no longer a team member.)

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Dec 19, 2010 07:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 708633)
SNIP...once A1 gives his jersey to the coach, he's no longer a team member.

Really??

Camron Rust Sun Dec 19, 2010 07:17pm

Quote:

By rule, I think so.

If the official knows the facts as presented in the question, iI'd try to only have one T (once A1 gives his jersey to the coach, he's no longer a team member.)

Agree. Short of tackling the player, I don't see what else the coach could have done.

Jurassic Referee Sun Dec 19, 2010 07:58pm

Give the player a "T" under R10-3-6(h).

The new rule (10-5-5) says that the head coach can't let team members leave the bench area for an unauthorized reason. Sooooo....authorize it.

In the COMMENTS ON THE 2010-11 RULES REVISIONS for 10-5-5, it also says team members are required to remain on the court or in the bench area while the game is in progress until each quarter or extra period has officially ended. This happened after the end of a quarter, didn't it?

Don't be a plumber.

just another ref Sun Dec 19, 2010 08:00pm

Quote:

By rule, I think so.

Why is he no longer a team member?

RobbyinTN Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:20pm

I would not have given two Ts for the same incident. Maybe I am wrong in not doing so but I guess I would have missed it.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 708672)
I would not have given two Ts for the same incident. Maybe I am wrong in not doing so but I guess I would have missed it.

It's definitely two T's. The question is should there be a third T?

Back In The Saddle Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 708649)
Why is he no longer a team member?

What is the definition of team member?

just another ref Mon Dec 20, 2010 01:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 708691)
What is the definition of team member?

Without looking, it's bench personnel in uniform eligible to become a player.
This guy had fouled out, he was already not eligible, so why did handing the jersey to the coach make him no longer a team member?

ODJ Mon Dec 20, 2010 01:46am

Kid gets pissed at his coach, tosses jersey at him, and leaves.

I doubt I'd T anything. He's not playing again for that coach. Let him walk off and get the quarter started. Why punish the team.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Dec 20, 2010 02:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 708697)
Kid gets pissed at his coach, tosses jersey at him, and leaves.

I doubt I'd T anything. He's not playing again for that coach. Let him walk off and get the quarter started. Why punish the team.

Are you kidding?? This one's automatic. I'd probably just hit him with one and be done with it. And I'd bet my bottom dollar the kid is back playing next game.

Camron Rust Mon Dec 20, 2010 05:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 708696)
Without looking, it's bench personnel in uniform eligible to become a player.
This guy had fouled out, he was already not eligible, so why did handing the jersey to the coach make him no longer a team member?

While it does say that, I think that it does so without considering DQ's. Someone who is DQ'd is still a team member....even though they can no longer play.