The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Attacking ref: "Part of the game"

Many of you have seen the video of the DeSoto HS player attcking the ref.

Follow up from local news. Player is sorry but says his actions were "part of the game." OMG! He needs a reality check.

Desoto County High basketball player apologizes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Wow! I really hope they pursue felony charges on him, maybe then he will realize this wasn't "Part of the game."
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Not only that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry View Post
Many of you have seen the video of the DeSoto HS player attcking the ref.

Follow up from local news. Player is sorry but says his actions were "part of the game." OMG! He needs a reality check.

Desoto County High basketball player apologizes
But he also says "he had it taken away from him", meaning the game he loves. It was taken from him. He threw it away!
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't hear him say that? What time in the video did he say that?

Edit: Heard it now...not sure what he meant by that statement.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 12:23pm.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Wow! I really hope they pursue felony charges on him, maybe then he will realize this wasn't "Part of the game."
I love the part about 'the game being taken away from me'. I don't think this kid has any idea about his responsibilty for his actions.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I didn't hear him say that? What time in the video did he say that?

Edit: Heard it now...not sure what he meant by that statement.
He is a high school kid, do you expect him to know everything he means at this point of his life? I certainly don't. Which is why he should not have been giving an interview to the media. on this incident. His comments can be used against him in a criminal proceeding.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He is a high school kid, do you expect him to know everything he means at this point of his life? I certainly don't. Which is why he should not have been giving an interview to the media. on this incident. His comments can be used against him in a criminal proceeding.

Peace
Yes, I understand that...which is why I'm not all up in arms about the fact that he said it. I, too, am surprised that he was allowed to give anything more than a generic apology to the press.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:32pm
Archaic Power Monger

I don't disagree to an extent, Rut. But I'd like to think well before 18 years old I knew that throwing an official to the floor was definitely not part of the game.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I don't disagree to an extent, Rut. But I'd like to think well before 18 years old I knew that throwing an official to the floor was definitely not part of the game.
Then you have missed my point. The point I am saying is a kid that age usually is not prepared to talk in front of people and put their thoughts together. There are adults that cannot do that when they are put on the spot, case in point my class where everyone had to give a presentation in front of classmates. Which is why he should not been giving and interview to the media about this situation. And we are trying to dissect his comments as if there was some real deep meaning based on what he said. What he knows or does not know is not my concern. He should not be giving an interview and his parents/guardian should have stepped in. Someone that is an adult that knows the kid should have stepped in. He said several things that show his age.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:48pm
Official & Member

The kid still doesn't get it. "...part of the game", "...taken away from me...".

You have to question who is around this kid guiding him. Why would anyone...parent, coach, whoever...allow him in front of a camera and put himself deeper in a hole? I think this is going to end badly for him. Maybe rightfully so, but someone should step in and explain to him how bad he screwed up. I don't think he has a clue.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 01:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I don't think he has a clue.
He'll get a clue when the guilty verdict comes in at court and he is sentenced to some time in jail. After all, being punished for actions such as this is just "part of the game."
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 01:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
The kid still doesn't get it. "...part of the game", "...taken away from me...".

You have to question who is around this kid guiding him. Why would anyone...parent, coach, whoever...allow him in front of a camera and put himself deeper in a hole? I think this is going to end badly for him. Maybe rightfully so, but someone should step in and explain to him how bad he screwed up. I don't think he has a clue.
Exactly. He had no coaching about the situation prior to talking to the reporter.

But for the most part, the US of A is very forgiving, and the kid will play basketball again somewhere. Though if I was a coach in that area, I wouldn't take him.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace

My first thought was why is this kid granting an interview, and they have him posing.... dribbling a ball. Parents? School? Coach? Mentor? No wonder he's in trouble, seems like a rudderless ship.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
It is my guess that he hasn't 'lawyered up' yet. I can't see any competent defense attorney letting him talk to the media. We must remember that this "kid" is an ADULT, at least according to the law. Everything changed when he turned 18. His maturity level is another matter.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Since this is an open forum I will give my opinion too...

After listening to the interview, for ME, I have a less negative opinion of the young man. Listening to Holland he doesn't in my opinion (as stated before) appear to be this thoughtless, mean spirited, thug, and bully that society should fear and consequently lock away forever.

I am not an attorney so I can't say if this interview seriously hurt him in the upcoming legal issues he will probably face but for some this interview shed a different light than the one the world has seen constantly on You Tube and most news stations.

I've heard my colleagues focus on 2 comments he made about his actions "being part of the game" and that the game “was taken away”. But also realize the young man said He felt like he let everybody down by his actions, that he wants to apologize to the official, and what happened on the court “wasn’t acceptable” and wants to apologize to everyone.

As officials it’s ok to be angry at someone who brings harm to us or a fellow official. The Question is how many of us can eventually forgive?

(Stealing Rut’s quote)
Peace