The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Say What?

I had a girl's varsity game on Tuesday and an usual the read the statement about sportsmanship and no sexist statements, yada, yada.

2-person game...midway through first quarter I am lead opposite table in next to the home student section. I hear a male student fan yell out to the ball handler, "Hey 21, you are cutie what to be my girlfriend?" The ball is passed out of bounds and I call over game management. I stand right in front of the student section and wait, when he gets to me and tell him what I heard and that I am not sure who said it. I told him if I hear it again I will remove the entire student section so they better police themselves. I put the ball back in play in front of the home cheerleaders and one says, "He was just giving her a compliment." Yes, she was a blonde cheerleader!
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

ooo imo
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

A big joke isn't it.

I think "What a Joke" everytime they read that crap. Last night - they read it before my Boys V Game - ball goes up to begin the game - and the bull**** from the coach of the home team never stopped - at the top of his lungs the whole game!
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 10:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
I think "What a Joke" everytime they read that crap. Last night - they read it before my Boys V Game - ball goes up to begin the game - and the bull**** from the coach of the home team never stopped - at the top of his lungs the whole game!
Why did you allow it?
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Good point - good question

Still trying to learn when to pull that trigger.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 10:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Fair Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
Still trying to learn when to pull that trigger.
It's all part of the process. Let me ask this, were his players also chatty?
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
ooo imo
Agreed. I don't get what the problem was.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I had a girl's varsity game on Tuesday and an usual the read the statement about sportsmanship and no sexist statements, yada, yada.

2-person game...midway through first quarter I am lead opposite table in next to the home student section. I hear a male student fan yell out to the ball handler, "Hey 21, you are cutie what to be my girlfriend?" The ball is passed out of bounds and I call over game management. I stand right in front of the student section and wait, when he gets to me and tell him what I heard and that I am not sure who said it. I told him if I hear it again I will remove the entire student section so they better police themselves. I put the ball back in play in front of the home cheerleaders and one says, "He was just giving her a compliment." Yes, she was a blonde cheerleader!
This isn't getting my attention, much less calling game management over to deal with it. If they want to get in the middle of it themselves, so be it, but I have other stuff to worry about.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Kids

No - his kids were great - made sure to get us the ball - no chatter at all - addressed us as sir etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's all part of the process. Let me ask this, were his players also chatty?
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're kidding, right?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Assuming I hear any of that, I'd be trying my best not to laugh.

Maybe I'd get game management to find the kid so I can hook him up!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 11:58am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
You're kidding, right?
Unfortunately, I don't think he/she is kidding...why in the world any official would react like this to that tame of a comment is beyond me. I just don't get it.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think he/she is kidding...why in the world any official would react like this to that tame of a comment is beyond me. I just don't get it.
If I hear it, and I did, I am going to nip it in the bud if I can. I would rather stop it when I hear it than have a player come up to me and tell about it. If they didn't want me to take care of it they wouldn't make an announcement about it before the game that it is not allowed.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If I hear it, and I did, I am going to nip it in the bud if I can. I would rather stop it when I hear it than have a player come up to me and tell about it. If they didn't want me to take care of it they wouldn't make an announcement about it before the game that it is not allowed.
So if a girl said the same thing to a guy, you would stop the game to nip it in the bud?

If you do not like the comments, just tell the kids to knock it off. You do not need to make a big production out of it.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it they wouldn't make an announcement about it before the game that it is not allowed.
I've never heard such an announcement (not saying it's not true, just that it helps explain some of the comments you're getting)