The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Say What? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60171-say-what.html)

GoodwillRef Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:14am

Say What?

I had a girl's varsity game on Tuesday and an usual the read the statement about sportsmanship and no sexist statements, yada, yada.

2-person game...midway through first quarter I am lead opposite table in next to the home student section. I hear a male student fan yell out to the ball handler, "Hey 21, you are cutie what to be my girlfriend?" The ball is passed out of bounds and I call over game management. I stand right in front of the student section and wait, when he gets to me and tell him what I heard and that I am not sure who said it. I told him if I hear it again I will remove the entire student section so they better police themselves. I put the ball back in play in front of the home cheerleaders and one says, "He was just giving her a compliment." Yes, she was a blonde cheerleader!

BLydic Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:24am

ooo imo

Refsmitty Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:25am

A big joke isn't it.

I think "What a Joke" everytime they read that crap. Last night - they read it before my Boys V Game - ball goes up to begin the game - and the bull**** from the coach of the home team never stopped - at the top of his lungs the whole game!:p

Adam Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 708067)
I think "What a Joke" everytime they read that crap. Last night - they read it before my Boys V Game - ball goes up to begin the game - and the bull**** from the coach of the home team never stopped - at the top of his lungs the whole game!:p

Why did you allow it?

Refsmitty Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:29am

Good point - good question

Still trying to learn when to pull that trigger.

Adam Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:37am

Fair Enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 708069)
Still trying to learn when to pull that trigger.

It's all part of the process. Let me ask this, were his players also chatty?

Smitty Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 708065)
ooo imo

Agreed. I don't get what the problem was.

zm1283 Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 708061)
I had a girl's varsity game on Tuesday and an usual the read the statement about sportsmanship and no sexist statements, yada, yada.

2-person game...midway through first quarter I am lead opposite table in next to the home student section. I hear a male student fan yell out to the ball handler, "Hey 21, you are cutie what to be my girlfriend?" The ball is passed out of bounds and I call over game management. I stand right in front of the student section and wait, when he gets to me and tell him what I heard and that I am not sure who said it. I told him if I hear it again I will remove the entire student section so they better police themselves. I put the ball back in play in front of the home cheerleaders and one says, "He was just giving her a compliment." Yes, she was a blonde cheerleader!

This isn't getting my attention, much less calling game management over to deal with it. If they want to get in the middle of it themselves, so be it, but I have other stuff to worry about.

Refsmitty Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18am

Kids

No - his kids were great - made sure to get us the ball - no chatter at all - addressed us as sir etc:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 708071)
It's all part of the process. Let me ask this, were his players also chatty?

BktBallRef Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 708061)

You're kidding, right? :o

APG Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:52am

Assuming I hear any of that, I'd be trying my best not to laugh. :p

Maybe I'd get game management to find the kid so I can hook him up! :cool:

rockyroad Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 708087)
You're kidding, right? :o

Unfortunately, I don't think he/she is kidding...why in the world any official would react like this to that tame of a comment is beyond me. I just don't get it.:confused:

GoodwillRef Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 708095)
Unfortunately, I don't think he/she is kidding...why in the world any official would react like this to that tame of a comment is beyond me. I just don't get it.:confused:

If I hear it, and I did, I am going to nip it in the bud if I can. I would rather stop it when I hear it than have a player come up to me and tell about it. If they didn't want me to take care of it they wouldn't make an announcement about it before the game that it is not allowed.

JRutledge Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 708108)
If I hear it, and I did, I am going to nip it in the bud if I can. I would rather stop it when I hear it than have a player come up to me and tell about it. If they didn't want me to take care of it they wouldn't make an announcement about it before the game that it is not allowed.

So if a girl said the same thing to a guy, you would stop the game to nip it in the bud?

If you do not like the comments, just tell the kids to knock it off. You do not need to make a big production out of it.

Peace

bob jenkins Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 708108)
it they wouldn't make an announcement about it before the game that it is not allowed.

I've never heard such an announcement (not saying it's not true, just that it helps explain some of the comments you're getting)