The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I got into officiating last year when after turning 30 I began to pile up those nagging basketball injuries that one use to be able to shake off in a week when we were younger.

Playing hoops continues to be (fun and) my best means to stay in shape for officiating, yet I continuous have nagging injuries to fingers, ankles, feet, etc. And now I am wondering if I am going to need to quit playing durring Ref season for fear of an injury that would impact my performance or cause me to forfeit my schedule?

How do others moderate their playing with their officiating?

I'm curious to hear ideas about specific strategies, routines, braces, or exercises, etc. that you have used for injury prevention while playing and/or to stay in shape for officiating?

thanks!

Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Unhappy

Sadly, I don't play anymore. I used to have a regular game but gave it up when I got a full HS varsity schedule. I was about 32 at the time. I figure my knees only have so trips up and down the court in them, and I don't want to use 'em up. Dan saw me at camp this summer. He can tell you how much I've slowed down

Chuck
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

It all depends on how seriously you want to take refereeing.
If you're just into it for a little extra cash, I would say go ahead and play. However, if you have aspirations to take it further, D1,Pro etc., I would not play. You don't want to
take a chance that an injury can ruin a season or potentially a career.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 03:59pm
9 times

Drake is right. You never know when your chance will come or who will be watching you. I don't even want the chance to get hurt playing. , especially if it costs me the opportunity to perform infront of someone important Find other training methods.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Spinning-great cardio workout. Easy on the joints, however can be a pain in the butt! Literally!
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Sadly, I don't play anymore. I used to have a regular game but gave it up when I got a full HS varsity schedule. I was about 32 at the time. I figure my knees only have so trips up and down the court in them, and I don't want to use 'em up. Dan saw me at camp this summer. He can tell you how much I've slowed down

Chuck
Dan will tell you that Chuck is one speedy SOB. Really.

Dan will also agree with Chuck, Drake & Stripes, if you have
lofty goals referee'ing then don't risk an injury playing in
your local mens rec league.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 08:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]Henceforth,Chuck shall be known as " The Road Runner"!

Of course,Dan shall also be known as "Wiley Coyote"!
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Well, we already knew part of this!
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Troward,
I got into reffing for the same reason. I blew out my ankle years ago and it still gives me trouble. I just turned 39, so maybe next year I'll try an over 40 league, but for now, I let reffing satisfy my "Basketball Jones".
Durring the off season I run or bike. Im blessed in that I don't carry extra weight and its still easy to find my legs and wind, but playing ball, even if it's just a pick-up game, is just an invitation to an injury that could make my assigner very... ummm.... unpleased.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
That is a great question. Obviously, you enjoy the GAME of basketball. While most people here say "Don't Play" I will disagree with them. I got into officiating to "get into shape" After playing in college and overseas, there really seemed no need to stay in shape, after all there were no more "Seasons" to stay in shape for! I have now dropped about 30lbs and enjoy officiating and playing, when time permits.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Know who you are playing with and against. This will dictate what you should do on the court. I play at lunch 3 times a week, and RARELY if ever do I drive the lane. These guys I play with, with a few exceptions, never played HS or college ball and don't understand what/how to foul. That is how you can get hurt. I will play a couple of times a month with a more "Advanced" group, and then I play like normal.
2. NEVER EVER EVER turn down a game, or block off your officiating schedule to accomodate your rec league playing schedule. After all, you will be able to move up the officiating ladder, but only down on the playing end!!

BTW, I have had 8 knee surgeries and will have 9 around Christmas. Eventually, I will have to stop playing (I have cut that down to 2 a week) but not right now, I just got back into shape!
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 09:33am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
That is a great question. Obviously, you enjoy the GAME of basketball. While most people here say "Don't Play" I will disagree with them. I got into officiating to "get into shape" After playing in college and overseas, there really seemed no need to stay in shape, after all there were no more "Seasons" to stay in shape for! I have now dropped about 30lbs and enjoy officiating and playing, when time permits.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Know who you are playing with and against. This will dictate what you should do on the court. I play at lunch 3 times a week, and RARELY if ever do I drive the lane. These guys I play with, with a few exceptions, never played HS or college ball and don't understand what/how to foul. That is how you can get hurt. I will play a couple of times a month with a more "Advanced" group, and then I play like normal.
2. NEVER EVER EVER turn down a game, or block off your officiating schedule to accomodate your rec league playing schedule. After all, you will be able to move up the officiating ladder, but only down on the playing end!!

BTW, I have had 8 knee surgeries and will have 9 around Christmas. Eventually, I will have to stop playing (I have cut that down to 2 a week) but not right now, I just got back into shape!
Fletch makes some good points, but remember, we have all seen players tweak a knee, pull a hamstring, turn an ankle, etc. when no one was around them. Playing with good players (if you can find them) is no guarantee that you won't get hurt and playing with bad players only increases your chances.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Good question...

I stopped playing a few years after I started officiating.

My problem was that I was always telling the rec league officials how to officiate.

My revelation came when a rec league offical asked me during a game: So you think you can do this job better?

I told him that there was no doubt about that and got tossed. Last rec league game I played in.

Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

In the past, I continued to play a weekly pickup game until I sprained an ankle one December. I normally wear Active Ankles everytime I play, but that one time I didn't. I was out for 2 weeks and it hurt for several more. Now, I NEVER play without them and I do NOT play just before or during the season. I still play in the offseason...from March to October. I stop 4-6 weeks before the season starts.

On top of that, the stress on my body (mostly ankles from previous injuries) of playing in addition to working games was becoming too much as I got into my 30's.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: great question

I had been debating with myself about why I don't play as much as I used to. I think it may be because officiating is satisfying my basketball jones. I still watch a lot, but except for a few occasions officiating is as close as I get to playing basketball. Tennis anyone? That has seemed to replace playing basketball for me.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
In the past, I continued to play a weekly pickup game until I sprained an ankle one December. I normally wear Active Ankles everytime I play, but that one time I didn't. I was out for 2 weeks and it hurt for several more. Now, I NEVER play without them and I do NOT play just before or during the season. I still play in the offseason...from March to October. I stop 4-6 weeks before the season starts.

On top of that, the stress on my body (mostly ankles from previous injuries) of playing in addition to working games was becoming too much as I got into my 30's.
I checked out http://www.activeankle.com/ and those things look awfully difficult to wear compared to traditional ankle braces/wraps. Are they that much better? do you notice it, when you are wearing them?

-thanks