The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 10:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up Lost My Virginity Tonight

While I've done some BV games, I'm usually GV Ref. Assignor assigns me a BV Game for the 2010 Life and Breath Showcase tonight and I am the R (for the first time in a BV game). Uber cool.

I arrive early and Assignor tells me I have a good team tonight with several players being recruited by big name schools (one ACC). One of the players was listed as a top five sophomore in the country!

My P's and I have a good pregame and take the court. Holy crap! I've never been on the court with athletes like this. This was an elite area team against another "just good" team.

About three minutes into the game, alley-oop, WHAM. Me - you're kidding!? Prior to tonight, I could count how many dunks I've been on the court for on one hand. We must have had 20 rim rockers of all kinds tonight!

Coaches and players were cool. Fun for all and I had an absolute blast!

I'm not a "big time" official like some on this site and am only in my 5th yr of HS, but this was definitely one of the highlight games in my career. I'm already looking forward to my game tomorrow night where I have another one of the elite teams.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

My first Boys Varsity was the best match up I have ever had. No elite players, but very good players, 2 or 3 guys were 6'6" and many were 6'4". Play above the rim all night, we had 1 goal tending.

Have not had a good boys game since....Enjoy them while you got them.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 06:35am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Fun for all and I had an absolute blast!
That's why we do what we do.

Don't let the company bother you at all. You belong.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 11:21am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
While I've done some BV games, I'm usually GV Ref. Assignor assigns me a BV Game for the 2010 Life and Breath Showcase tonight and I am the R (for the first time in a BV game). Uber cool.

I arrive early and Assignor tells me I have a good team tonight with several players being recruited by big name schools (one ACC). One of the players was listed as a top five sophomore in the country!

My P's and I have a good pregame and take the court. Holy crap! I've never been on the court with athletes like this. This was an elite area team against another "just good" team.

About three minutes into the game, alley-oop, WHAM. Me - you're kidding!? Prior to tonight, I could count how many dunks I've been on the court for on one hand. We must have had 20 rim rockers of all kinds tonight!

Coaches and players were cool. Fun for all and I had an absolute blast!

I'm not a "big time" official like some on this site and am only in my 5th yr of HS, but this was definitely one of the highlight games in my career. I'm already looking forward to my game tomorrow night where I have another one of the elite teams.
Congrats on a job well done, glad you had a good experience. Do it again tonight and don't let 'em steal the tap.
BTW, check your odometer settings. Its all deductible !
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 11:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

You ain't lyin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
BTW, check your odometer settings. Its all deductible !
It's about as far as they can send you in this area, but not as far as some of those on the Forum have traveled. Tough fighting the Friday DC traffic last night though.....

Thanks for the good wishes Rick. Looking forward to it. Montrose is lined up to play the game after mine, so, I might just stick around for a bit of that one!
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 11:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep Fighting The Good Fight....

Quote:
Coaches and players were cool. Fun for all and I had an absolute blast! Definitely one of the highlight games in my career. I'm already looking forward to my game tomorrow night where I have another one of the elite teams.
Congratulations. (This was a very interesting post, but I was really disappointed in it after reading the title of the thread. For some reason I thought you were going in a different direction. I also expected a link to a video.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Congratulations. (This was a very interesting post, but I was really disappointed in it after reading the title of the thread. For some reason I thought you were going in a different direction. I also expected a link to a video.)
Suppress the urge to post a link of your own.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 10:01pm
9/11 - Never Forget

The Day After.......

Tonight's game started off slowly for me as for some reason I couldn't get focused. I felt like I was sleep walking, hardly blowing my whistle at all. About 1/4 way through the first half I seemed to wake up and things went OK form there. My partners were very senior, forgiving, and encouraging, and looked past the poor job I thought I did, and said I did just fine.

Highlights from today:

- Montrose Christian won 101-33......and they were holding back! They're pretty good!

- John Thompson, Jr (G'Town) was there to watch some of the games!
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tonight's game started off slowly for me as for some reason I couldn't get focused. I felt like I was sleep walking, hardly blowing my whistle at all. About 1/4 way through the first half I seemed to wake up and things went OK form there. My partners were very senior, forgiving, and encouraging, and looked past the poor job I thought I did, and said I did just fine.

Highlights from today:

- Montrose Christian won 101-33......and they were holding back! They're pretty good!

- John Thompson, Jr (G'Town) was there to watch some of the games!
Pretty sure we officiate in the same association. I had some horrible rec games today then got to watch part of what was probably the premiere HS basketball event in the country this year. 8 games at Dematha.

There is some really good ball in our area. Just wish I got assigned more of it. Not to be greedy though. Ive done alright and good things will come in time. Congrats on your first big R assignment.