The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

nightmare of a partner

Hey whats up fellow officials. I'm on the new side of officiating. Anyway today was my 10th game of the year, been pretty busy I worked for two weeks but i just didnt want to rush into it now im comfortable and have 8 this week and 7 next week. Anyway i had a bad partner tonight but i didnt show it. Started first with pregame which he had no clue about 1 and 1 situations, what a player vs team control foul was, and how the possession arrow works!!! Anyway first quarter is sloppy he goes in wrong position and doesnt shows a weak whistle, and the coach knows. A couple times he said white ball but pointed black!! and then gave it to the wrong team. Next he didnt watch my hand as it was held high, and threw the ball in play when the subs were coming in. Next, he didnt know correct positioning on free throws. It was frustrating, into half time i was nice and asked questions and asked if he had any questions. Second half the home team is down 14 and they come back in the 4th quarter he called about 3 or 4 you could tell continuation buckets plus the foul which turned to be a game changer!! it was frustrating... and worst of all we have to work games together again this week!!! and i picked these games up last minute.... man ole man can this week be over
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:48pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Mike,

I've worked with that guy, too. And a long time ago, I was that guy. Everybody starts out somewhere, and nobody is really as good as they think they are.

Help the guy if you can. If you can't, then just get through the games as best you can.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Mike -

You have just described everyone on this message board.

My advice after 20 yrs is to keep your mouth shut.

I am sure that scrapper and myself could still make those mistakes today.

If you start talkin to people about this you can come off as a "know it all."

And then dudes won't want to work with you. Hang in there and just do what you were taught.

Who knows he might be on a different message board sayin the same about you......
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I think nearly all of us have either been that horrible partner or worked with him/her. In retrospect, I find myself asking "What did I do to make him/her a better official?" Most of the time, my answer is "nothing". It's my belief that we all have an obligation to help our fellow officials improve, knowing there will be those that have no desire or capacity for improvement.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Mike -

You have just described everyone on this message board.

My advice after 20 yrs is to keep your mouth shut.

I am sure that scrapper and myself could still make those mistakes today.

If you start talkin to people about this you can come off as a "know it all."

And then dudes won't want to work with you. Hang in there and just do what you were taught.

Who knows he might be on a different message board sayin the same about you......

ouch man. poor OP came in here to vent a bit and you tell him to keep his mouth shut.

But honestly thats how it works out, sometimes you just have to live with it. Especially because we were all beginners at one point...hang in there!
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
ouch man. poor OP came in here to vent a bit and you tell him to keep his mouth shut.

But honestly thats how it works out, sometimes you just have to live with it. Especially because we were all beginners at one point...hang in there!
Got keep those rookies in line !!!!!

And don't forget to buy the beer Mike when you work with a vet !!!!
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Second half the home team is down 14 and they come back in the 4th quarter he called about 3 or 4 you could tell continuation buckets plus the foul which turned to be a game changer!!
What exactly do you mean by this statement?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Mike- When we're on the court we're judged as a team, not individuals. It's both (or all) of our responsibilities to make sure the game is officiated as accurately as possible, despite the shortcomings we all face in one aspect or another. Keep on track and working hard.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I was wondering the same thing; I see more officials err on the side of not counting a basket than the other way.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I was wondering the same thing; I see more officials err on the side of not counting a basket than the other way.
Most definitely. There are a lot of fans and coaches (and unfortunately too many officials) that incorrectly deem a foul "on the floor" even though that has nothing to do with the call.

Rationale for calling it that way..."This ain't the NBA!"
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Most definitely. There are a lot of fans and coaches (and unfortunately too many officials) that incorrectly deem a foul "on the floor" even though that has nothing to do with the call.

Rationale for calling it that way..."This ain't the NBA!"
Retort: "True, but the rule is virtually the same for both."
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Retort: "True, but the rule is virtually the same for both."
Haha yeah...I can and have used this line on a coach. Still doesn't make it easy when a partner comes in gunsablazin' waving off a shot and yelling "on the floor!" on a similar type play...

That's what pregame/halftime/post-games are for.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What i meant by that was, A1 would dribble in the lane get bumped (whistle) dribble dribble shoot, count the basket. Obvious on the floor calls.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Me too. Tough when you're working with someone who incorrectly waves one off and then you count one just a few minutes later.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Ya I just asked if had any questions and i said good job after like i normally would. Your right im not going to get down on the man. Even though he was an older gentleman i would guess 40s or 50s so he cant be that out of it. But i have another this week with him. So we will see how it goes, but the players, coaches, and fans new he was out of sync and took advantage of it. But ill keep yall updated. But your right im not going to look like a donkey ya know telling him what he should do