The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   nightmare of a partner (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60043-nightmare-partner.html)

mikeb Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:40pm

nightmare of a partner

Hey whats up fellow officials. I'm on the new side of officiating. Anyway today was my 10th game of the year, been pretty busy I worked for two weeks but i just didnt want to rush into it now im comfortable and have 8 this week and 7 next week. Anyway i had a bad partner tonight but i didnt show it. Started first with pregame which he had no clue about 1 and 1 situations, what a player vs team control foul was, and how the possession arrow works!!! Anyway first quarter is sloppy he goes in wrong position and doesnt shows a weak whistle, and the coach knows. A couple times he said white ball but pointed black!! and then gave it to the wrong team. Next he didnt watch my hand as it was held high, and threw the ball in play when the subs were coming in. Next, he didnt know correct positioning on free throws. It was frustrating, into half time i was nice and asked questions and asked if he had any questions. Second half the home team is down 14 and they come back in the 4th quarter he called about 3 or 4 you could tell continuation buckets plus the foul which turned to be a game changer!! it was frustrating... and worst of all we have to work games together again this week!!! and i picked these games up last minute.... man ole man can this week be over

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:48pm

Mike,

I've worked with that guy, too. And a long time ago, I was that guy. Everybody starts out somewhere, and nobody is really as good as they think they are.

Help the guy if you can. If you can't, then just get through the games as best you can.

Multiple Sports Wed Dec 08, 2010 01:13pm

Mike -

You have just described everyone on this message board.

My advice after 20 yrs is to keep your mouth shut.

I am sure that scrapper and myself could still make those mistakes today.

If you start talkin to people about this you can come off as a "know it all."

And then dudes won't want to work with you. Hang in there and just do what you were taught.

Who knows he might be on a different message board sayin the same about you......

whistleone Wed Dec 08, 2010 01:15pm

I think nearly all of us have either been that horrible partner or worked with him/her. In retrospect, I find myself asking "What did I do to make him/her a better official?" Most of the time, my answer is "nothing". It's my belief that we all have an obligation to help our fellow officials improve, knowing there will be those that have no desire or capacity for improvement.

CaRef5 Wed Dec 08, 2010 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 706164)
Mike -

You have just described everyone on this message board.

My advice after 20 yrs is to keep your mouth shut.

I am sure that scrapper and myself could still make those mistakes today.

If you start talkin to people about this you can come off as a "know it all."

And then dudes won't want to work with you. Hang in there and just do what you were taught.

Who knows he might be on a different message board sayin the same about you......

ouch man. poor OP came in here to vent a bit and you tell him to keep his mouth shut.

But honestly thats how it works out, sometimes you just have to live with it. Especially because we were all beginners at one point...hang in there!

Multiple Sports Wed Dec 08, 2010 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaRef5 (Post 706166)
ouch man. poor OP came in here to vent a bit and you tell him to keep his mouth shut.

But honestly thats how it works out, sometimes you just have to live with it. Especially because we were all beginners at one point...hang in there!

Got keep those rookies in line !!!!!

And don't forget to buy the beer Mike when you work with a vet !!!!

APG Wed Dec 08, 2010 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeb (Post 706029)
Second half the home team is down 14 and they come back in the 4th quarter he called about 3 or 4 you could tell continuation buckets plus the foul which turned to be a game changer!!

What exactly do you mean by this statement?

Sco53 Wed Dec 08, 2010 01:39pm

Mike- When we're on the court we're judged as a team, not individuals. It's both (or all) of our responsibilities to make sure the game is officiated as accurately as possible, despite the shortcomings we all face in one aspect or another. Keep on track and working hard.

Adam Wed Dec 08, 2010 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 706174)

I was wondering the same thing; I see more officials err on the side of not counting a basket than the other way.

APG Wed Dec 08, 2010 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 706185)
I was wondering the same thing; I see more officials err on the side of not counting a basket than the other way.

Most definitely. There are a lot of fans and coaches (and unfortunately too many officials) that incorrectly deem a foul "on the floor" even though that has nothing to do with the call.

Rationale for calling it that way..."This ain't the NBA!" :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Dec 08, 2010 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 706197)
Most definitely. There are a lot of fans and coaches (and unfortunately too many officials) that incorrectly deem a foul "on the floor" even though that has nothing to do with the call.

Rationale for calling it that way..."This ain't the NBA!" :rolleyes:

Retort: "True, but the rule is virtually the same for both."

APG Wed Dec 08, 2010 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 706198)
Retort: "True, but the rule is virtually the same for both."

Haha yeah...I can and have used this line on a coach. Still doesn't make it easy when a partner comes in gunsablazin' waving off a shot and yelling "on the floor!" on a similar type play...

That's what pregame/halftime/post-games are for. :D

mikeb Wed Dec 08, 2010 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 706174)

What i meant by that was, A1 would dribble in the lane get bumped (whistle) dribble dribble shoot, count the basket. Obvious on the floor calls.

Rich Wed Dec 08, 2010 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 706185)

Me too. Tough when you're working with someone who incorrectly waves one off and then you count one just a few minutes later.

mikeb Wed Dec 08, 2010 02:59pm

Ya I just asked if had any questions and i said good job after like i normally would. Your right im not going to get down on the man. Even though he was an older gentleman i would guess 40s or 50s so he cant be that out of it. But i have another this week with him. So we will see how it goes, but the players, coaches, and fans new he was out of sync and took advantage of it. But ill keep yall updated. But your right im not going to look like a donkey ya know telling him what he should do