The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:08pm
In Time Out

so much fun...and nightmare

Went to a playoff game last night and I had a blast...yelling at the refs. Kept it civil. I'm not going to be that douche who goes to games to rip refs. Lost my voice for a bit. A few strange calls but they did just fine. But oh man was it fun to yell. Give it a try sometime if you guys aren't because it was a blast being a fan.
But then when I went to sleep last night I had a dream where I was a ref in a packed house. first my toss was awful, and the crowd was silent except for who fan who yelled "That was terrible". Then during the game my whistle stopped working. More mess. So was that nightmare a warning not to yell at the refs? Yeah, for sure. But I'm not learning my lesson. Now every year I ref I'm going to make sure to get out and see some of the games and well be a FAN. Bring on the stupidity!!!!!!!
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Why don't you pretend to be an announcer? Then you can act really stupid.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Good job yelling at the officials?
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

When I go to games in a "non official" capacity, I really enjoy heckling THE FANS!! I love the looks on their faces when I get to say some of the things I WANT to say on the court but cant.
"Ref the foul count is 7 -2" --- "Yeah, can't believe Team X keeps fouling, they should stop"
"Their over the back!!" --- "So?"
"Why isn't THAT A FOUL" --- "Simple, because....."
I am usually REALLY popular by the end of the game. Of course I tell them that I AM an official but I tell them I am from another association and give them a false name!!
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Went to a playoff game last night and I had a blast...yelling at the refs. Kept it civil.
Rooting for your team is fine. Yelling at the refs, no matter how "civil" is not.

At least I can understand "fan boys" doing it, but a ref who does it is an embarassment.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
When I go to games in a "non official" capacity, I really enjoy heckling THE FANS!! I love the looks on their faces when I get to say some of the things I WANT to say on the court but cant.
"Ref the foul count is 7 -2" --- "Yeah, can't believe Team X keeps fouling, they should stop"
"Their over the back!!" --- "So?"
"Why isn't THAT A FOUL" --- "Simple, because....."
I am usually REALLY popular by the end of the game. Of course I tell them that I AM an official but I tell them I am from another association and give them a false name!!
Well, someone already uses 'Skippy Weaselpants', so I hope you come up with something original.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:43pm
In Time Out

I did that when there was a fumble and this guy goes "this isn't football". I said, yeah it is basketball! No travel.
One bad call the ref made was a 10 second backcourt when he went by the shot clock. Tsk tsk, It was actually like 5 or 6 seconds. The other team nearly stole the ball at the inbounds and there wasn't control for a few seconds. Never use the shot clock!
It was also kind of funny seeing all the refs in different jackets at the start. They were fine though and didn't let the game fall apart with some players that were close to getting T's.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Rooting for your team is fine. Yelling at the refs, no matter how "civil" is not.

At least I can understand "fan boys" doing it, but a ref who does it is an embarassment.
+1...especially for the "embarassment".

Our association suspends officials for acts like that. Perception is reality to fans watching someone yelling at officials.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did that when there was a fumble and this guy goes "this isn't football". I said, yeah it is basketball! No travel.
One bad call the ref made was a 10 second backcourt when he went by the shot clock. Tsk tsk, It was actually like 5 or 6 seconds. The other team nearly stole the ball at the inbounds and there wasn't control for a few seconds. Never use the shot clock!
It was also kind of funny seeing all the refs in different jackets at the start. They were fine though and didn't let the game fall apart with some players that were close to getting T's.
Could you please post your schedule next year so we can come yell at you...you are a complete A$$ HAT!!!!
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Went to a playoff game last night and I had a blast...yelling at the refs. Kept it civil. I'm not going to be that douche who goes to games to rip refs. Lost my voice for a bit. A few strange calls but they did just fine. But oh man was it fun to yell. Give it a try sometime if you guys aren't because it was a blast being a fan.
But then when I went to sleep last night I had a dream where I was a ref in a packed house. first my toss was awful, and the crowd was silent except for who fan who yelled "That was terrible". Then during the game my whistle stopped working. More mess. So was that nightmare a warning not to yell at the refs? Yeah, for sure. But I'm not learning my lesson. Now every year I ref I'm going to make sure to get out and see some of the games and well be a FAN. Bring on the stupidity!!!!!!!
When does the shot clock start on a throw in?
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 02:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Well, someone already uses 'Skippy Weaselpants', so I hope you come up with something original.
Try Pat McCrotch.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 03:03pm
In Time Out

waaaa. don't be such sourpusses. I love it when I'm reffing games and the fans are loud. As long as they don't cross the line it's all good. The bigger the crowd the better the game. My yelling was good natured and when others were yelling too. packed house. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary or anything like yelling when it was silent or bad mouthing them.
Gee just because your a ref you should just sit and watch the game silently. please. What about other sports? what about March Madness. I know I'll be yelling at the tv and having a good time. I had a lot of fun being a fan and critiquing the refs as well who I already said did just fine. The game is a lot more fun when you are actually trying to be involved in it.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

There is a huge difference between cheering for your team and criticizing someone. While they both start with the letter "C", cheering and criticizm are not the same.
As an official you or, are should be, an unbiased observer. As a fan, you are obviously biased, and calls that are correct when viewed unbiasedly seem wrong when viewed by the lens of a fan. You will do your team, reputation and officiating career a much GREATER service by being loud and vocal in SUPPORT of your team then you will in being critical of officials at the game.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
waaaa. don't be such sourpusses. I love it when I'm reffing games and the fans are loud. As long as they don't cross the line it's all good. The bigger the crowd the better the game. My yelling was good natured and when others were yelling too. packed house. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary or anything like yelling when it was silent or bad mouthing them.
Gee just because your a ref you should just sit and watch the game silently. please. What about other sports? what about March Madness. I know I'll be yelling at the tv and having a good time. I had a lot of fun being a fan and critiquing the refs as well who I already said did just fine. The game is a lot more fun when you are actually trying to be involved in it.
Being a fan doesn't give you carte blanche to yell at the officials good nature or not. No one said you had to be silent, but cheering for your team doesn't have to include yelling at the game officials. I've actually found sports to be more enjoying now that I don't focus on what or wasn't called and focus on the game.

As far as other sports, I do not yell at the game officials of any sport. I do not know the rules and mechanics as well as they do and to act like I do and yell at the officials like I do, wouldn't make me any better than the common fanboy.

I also wonder, what kind of response did you expect to receive? You, being an official, told a group of other officials that you had a fun time yelling at other officials during a game.

Last edited by APG; Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 03:32pm.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 03:52pm
In Time Out

". Now every year I ref I'm going to make sure to get out and see some of the games and well be a FAN. Bring on the stupidity!!!!!!!"

tongue in cheek. I'm merely saying it was fun being a typical fan. Some ribbing of the refs when I disagree with a call while I might have done the same thing if I was officiating. If others here can't do it well then their loss. I'd rather not be a robot and sit there evaluating the refs. Better being involved in the game, yelling things like COME ON REF, etc, etc. I didn't yell too much and a lot was for the teams and not against the refs. Not fun always being neutral.