The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:13pm
Ok is the new good

Refs and coach/AD

As a newbie, my instructors are hammering home to establish excellent mechanics including use of proper signals. While other officials notice this, I would think that coaches and ADs are more focused on getting the calls right then on signals.

Vets, is this true?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
As a newbie, my instructors are hammering home to establish excellent mechanics including use of proper signals. While other officials notice this, I would think that coaches and ADs are more focused on getting the calls right then on signals.

Vets, is this true?
Yes, coaches/ADs are more concerned about getting the calls correct, but don't underestimate the importance of good mechanics and proper signals. Part of our job as officials is being a salesmen. If you're in the proper spot to call plays and look confident with good, crisp signals, that goes a long way towards a coach believing your call and off your back.

I'd say the easiest thing for young officials to perfect is mechanics (specifically good signals). That just comes from time in front of the mirror practicing. That can be worked on from day one. Play calling is something that comes with time, so invariably, you'll have struggles with that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Dec 07, 2010 at 03:25pm.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with APG. The better your mechanics and positioning, the more likely you are to get the benefit of the doubt on close calls.

Show up in gray tennis shoes, white socks, and almost black dress slacks (brown belt) sometime and see how many calls get questioned as opposed to when you're in the proper uniform.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

The better your mechanics, the more likely you are to get the call right in the first place. If you could call the game from anywhere, we wouldn't be on the court in the first place.

The only thing a coach likes less than a bad call is not knowing what you called in the first place. Communication, including signals, is an important part of the job.

What's more, these are both areas that focus and effort bring quick results. You can't rush experience, but mechanics and signaling can be practiced anywhere. This makes it a good investment of time for the new official.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Vets, is this true?
Yes. And if I'm evaluating, I'll take the guy that gets the call right over the guy that looked great but screwed up the call.

But that's just me.....

The optimum is both, of course. Get the call right while using the correct mechanics.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Dec 07, 2010 at 03:35pm.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Vets, is this true?
Is there any reason you think the 2 concepts are mutually exclusive?

But it is a lot easier and controllable to perfect your mechanics than it is your play-calling. One thing that holds rookies back in their first year is that they spend so much time thinking about their mechanics that they lose focus on play-calling. They screw up basic mechanics and start getting nervous and flustered and forget all about game.

Work on your mechanics off the court so that you are confident with them when you get on the court and it will free your mind up to start looking at the plays correctly. And if your mechanics are decent from the get-go then your observers/evaluators/mentors can concentrate more on your play-calling abilities instead of having to nit-pick you with mechanical stuff.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 08:58am.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yes. And if I'm evaluating, I'll take the guy that gets the call right over the guy that looked great but screwed up the call.

But that's just me.....

The optimum is both, of course. Get the call right while using the correct mechanics.
And, there are enough "good" officials to take the ones that put in the effort to look and act professional.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 05:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And, there are enough "good" officials to take the ones that put in the effort to look and act professional.
Yup, the ones that make the effort should be ranked higher than the ones who might also be equal in call-making ability but don't have the "whole package".
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches/ADs are not specifically concerned at all about mechanics, but if you look sharp, you and your calls will be taken more seriously -- everything else being equal.

Not really anything to do with mechanics, but with perspective: My first few years, I had a LOT of trouble with women coaches -- jr. high to college. Not all of them, but most, for some reason. In the mid-90s, I was out for a couple of years for injury and slowly got back into things over the next several years. Instead of being a late college student or recent college grad, I was now as old or in some cases older than the coaches and handling women coaches is one of my strengths. I can not recall a T I've given a woman head coach in the last 5 or 6 years. Same official, different outcome.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Only thing I would add is to remember they're not always going to agree with your calls anyway. That's why they are called howler monkeys. I would at least prefer my mechanics have me in the right spot, and my signals are crisp so at least maybe there is a little doubt in their mind that maybe they ARE crazy and I do know what I am doing
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 03:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Vets, is this true?
No one is going to think you get the calls right if you do not have good mechanics. If you do not believe me, call a foul and do not raise your hand. Then tell me what happens when the coaches are confused about your calls. All mechanics are selling points for your calls. Someone is always going to think you screw up at some point and your mechanics might make them at least believe you think you are right. Confidence and positioning all are apart of a selling job. We are sales people at the end of the day.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 03:53am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yup, the ones that make the effort should be ranked higher than the ones who might also be equal in call-making ability but don't have the "whole package".
If you could break it down, JR, what are the criteria of the "whole package?"
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 07:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mechanics Are Fun ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you do not believe me, call a foul and do not raise your hand. Then tell me what happens when the coaches are confused about your calls.
Let's not forget about confusing your partner. Violation, or foul? Initiate switch, throwin spot, or free throw shooter, or none of the above?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 07:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Note to Mark Padgett ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
"whole package?"
No image please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Not that I advocate ever getting the call wrong, but much of the time you're more believable if you come out with a good, strong wrong call than a weak, unconvincing right call. Good mechanics can buy you some credibility until you have time to establish a reputation as being a good official. Bad mechanics can doom you before you even get started.