The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
WOW Some Refs Don't Think

I'm sorry but I don't think even a fan could mess this one up. It is just common sense.
http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/p...7?OpenDocument
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Newspaper

Let me see if I have this right....The NEWSPAPERS score was 64-62 The OFFICIAL book had it 65-65, then for some unknown reason a point was added...hmm, who do I believe a NWSPAPER guy trying to right a story, keep score, keep track of rebounds, turnovers, blocked shots and so on. Now Do I believe he could have missed a basket or 2????? Yes.

They call it an OFFICIAL book for a reason. You have to trust the 9th grade girl doing the book. That's life. They should have explained the reason for adding the point in the paper instead of trying to hang the refs.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

The newspaper wasn't trying to hang the refs. It was reporting the fact that the refs added a point to break the tie and then proceeded to play the overtime! Wow, I'm surprised that 3 refs could come to that conclusion together.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

WOW!!

What bothers me about the story is the State Interpreter stated they are really good officials. I find that questionable three really good officials should have known that you cannot proceed to overtime when one team is ahead after correcting a book error.

2. A running score was not kept. This is a NO! NO! I would rather that a running score be kept then individual scores. It easier for those inexperience bookkeepers.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

The game ended/clock expired with a score tied on the board
Overtime was declared.
Crew informed the score was off and they went to the the official book to correct it.

The rule is the error is correctable UNTIL THE BALL BECOMES LIVE in the extra period. Once live any 4th quarter corrections do not end the extra period
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
A running score was not kept. This is a NO! NO! I would rather that a running score be kept than individual scores. It's easier for those inexperience bookkeepers.
Just to know: isn't there an official form for the scorebook? Or else some standard form to fill in with the score?

FIBA has an official scoresheet form which must be used in any game. The running score must be kept and the number of the scorer is written next to the score.

Ciao
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
The game ended/clock expired with a score tied on the board
Overtime was declared.
Crew informed the score was off and they went to the the official book to correct it.

The rule is the error is correctable UNTIL THE BALL BECOMES LIVE in the extra period. Once live any 4th quarter corrections do not end the extra period
This is not a correctable error. This is a bookkeeping error that can be corrected anytime before the final score is approved. See Rule 2:11:11.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
Just to know: isn't there an official form for the scorebook? Or else some standard form to fill in with the score?

FIBA has an official scoresheet form which must be used in any game. The running score must be kept and the number of the scorer is written next to the score.

Ciao
Here, the scorebook has a running score and you can keep individual scores at the same time.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Two things here, you think they would have figured it out before the end of the game.....

However look at what the newspaper said..

"If you're going to put the point up, the game is over," Probst said.

I am not sure I agree with the guy from MHSAA....Relying on 5.7.4 I would say the officials were right the game ended in a tie at the buzzer... Add the point and play OT
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
Two things here, you think they would have figured it out before the end of the game.....

I am not sure I agree with the guy from MHSAA....Relying on 5.7.4 I would say the officials were right the game ended in a tie at the buzzer... Add the point and play OT
I disagree. They added the point before they started the ot according to the paper...

At the end of regulation, with the teams tied 65-65 and headed for overtime, the three referees met and determined that there were inconsistencies between the scoreboard and official scorebook.

The referees then gave Miller Career Academy another point, making the score 66-65, before beginning the four-minute overtime period.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
I disagree. They added the point before they started the ot according to the paper...

At the end of regulation, with the teams tied 65-65 and headed for overtime, the three referees met and determined that there were inconsistencies between the scoreboard and official scorebook.

The referees then gave Miller Career Academy another point, making the score 66-65, before beginning the four-minute overtime period.
You are right. The game should have been over if the point was added before beginning the overtime period. What a mess. Just shows that a good scorekeeper is worth alot.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwalking
This is not a correctable error. This is a bookkeeping error that can be corrected anytime before the final score is approved. See Rule 2:11:11.
Agreed. Your terminology is accurate.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Kelvin, see case book play 2.11.10SitC. It's the one that you want to look at. It says that once the ball becomes live in the OT, you play the OT even if you correct the score. Iow, if you catch it before the ball becomes live, there's no OT and game over.

The MSHSAA interpreter had it right.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dang! JR got it!