The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Question Rule change on foul out

Scoring for a game, and the ref says it is now 15 seconds for a coach to sub for a fouled out player. This was gone through before the game. Coach argues with myself and the timer that it should be 30. Just looking for clarification.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

In high school a coach has 20 seconds to replace a player that has been disqualified.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks! Now I am clear for the rest of the season. Did that just change this year?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlstachow View Post
Scoring for a game, and the ref says it is now 15 seconds for a coach to sub for a fouled out player. This was gone through before the game. Coach argues with myself and the timer that it should be 30. Just looking for clarification.
It is actually 20 seconds. The timer is instructed to start the 20 second interval by the official. The horn is to sound five seconds later -- resulting in a horn that gives the coach 15 additional seconds. Assuming NFHS rules.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks! Now I am clear for the rest of the season. Did that just change this year?
It did not change this year. I can remember it being this way for the past 3 years at least. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you exactly when it changed, but it was not changed this year.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I think this is the third season with this rule.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
It is actually 20 seconds. The timer is instructed to start the 20 second interval by the official. The horn is to sound five seconds later -- resulting in a horn that gives the coach 15 additional seconds. Assuming NFHS rules.
The rule did NOT change this year, it changed two years before, I believe.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The coach doesn't get to turn this into an extended free timeout, either. The coach is to have the player ready to enter the game before the second horn goes off, not send the player up after the second horn.

I watched a game Saturday night where there should've been 2 technical fouls on the home team for delaying in this situation -- but the covering official (who was the weak link in a 3-person crew) didn't do anything.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The coach doesn't get to turn this into an extended free timeout, either. The coach is to have the player ready to enter the game before the second horn goes off, not send the player up after the second horn.

I watched a game Saturday night where there should've been 2 technical fouls on the home team for delaying in this situation -- but the covering official (who was the weak link in a 3-person crew) didn't do anything.
Brings up a question for me; on this cut-and-dried issue, is there any chance of the R coming in on this and issuing the T? (Assuming he's not the notifying official.)
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 03:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Brings up a question for me; on this cut-and-dried issue, is there any chance of the R coming in on this and issuing the T? (Assuming he's not the notifying official.)
I was thinking the same thing. Actually, both the R and the U1 stepped up and pushed the U2 to do something there. The first DQ (there were 3) was handled by the U1 and he did everything right (notify the coach, start the clock, get in on the first horn and move things along).

I think it would've destroyed the game had one of the other guys stepped over the U2 and whacked the coach here, though.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 05:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Actually, both the R and the U1 stepped up and pushed the U2 to do something there. The first DQ (there were 3) was handled by the U1 and he did everything right (notify the coach, start the clock, get in on the first horn and move things along).

I think it would've destroyed the game had one of the other guys stepped over the U2 and whacked the coach here, though.
Well, hopefully it'll be a learning experience for the U2.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now that you've confirmed it should be 20, report it, have the timer start the count, then have whatever discusssion (if any) that you want to have with the coach, making sure that he knows his timer is running and asking for that sub NOW. When the buzzer goes and he is still moaning about time, you have to decide if you're going to T him or not....probably a good idea.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Now that you've confirmed it should be 20, report it, have the timer start the count, then have whatever discusssion (if any) that you want to have with the coach, making sure that he knows his timer is running and asking for that sub NOW. When the buzzer goes and he is still moaning about time, you have to decide if you're going to T him or not....probably a good idea.
That is not how you do it. You report the foul and the scorer tells you that it is the 5th foul. Next the coach is informed, then the timer is instructed to start the clock, then the player is notified.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
That is not how you do it. You report the foul and the scorer tells you that it is the 5th foul. Next the coach is informed, then the timer is instructed to start the clock, then the player is notified.
We're talking about what to do when the coach wants to have a discussion about the call or replacement procedure after he knows it is the 5th foul, not the normal reporting procedure. You start the clock then deal with the coach's discussion. The discussion occurs in his 20 seconds.