The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 50
Compression Sleeve

Compression sleeve with elbow pad. Legal or Illegal?

Athlete has a Dr. excuse to wear it. Legal or Illegal?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 11:44pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,120
Legal if used for medical purposes.

Your state might have guidelines for what that means. In my area all they have to do is tell us it is for medical purposes and they can wear it. No note needed.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:01am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Some states/areas assume it's for medical purposes by the fact that the kid is wearing it. Other states require documentation. Many fall in between. We ask, but don't require documents.
Oddly, I've seen more kids say "no" when asked if it is for medical reasons than "yes."
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 02:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 83
Don't ask don't tell.

From the Federation level there is no rule on sleeves. NFHS said there does not seem to be a problem with them in HS so there is no rule. I have no idea what games they are watching as I had a lot of them last year. Each association or state may handle them differently however.

This year the federation clarified that and we went from asking if the item was for a medical reason to not asking anything.

My guess is we will see a ruling on it next year.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 02:57am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
From the Federation level there is no rule on sleeves. NFHS said there does not seem to be a problem with them in HS so there is no rule. I have no idea what games they are watching as I had a lot of them last year. Each association or state may handle them differently however.

This year the federation clarified that and we went from asking if the item was for a medical reason to not asking anything.

My guess is we will see a ruling on it next year.
3-5-2: ...........compression sleeves must meet the following guidelines:

e. Must be worn for medical reasons.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
3-5-2: ...........compression sleeves must meet the following guidelines:

e. Must be worn for medical reasons.
Just A you are correct on your rule quote. The only time a compression sleeve is mentioned is in the ART. 2 and no other place a-e. Guards, casts, braces, and faces masks are specifically addressed however there is no mention of compression sleeves a-e. I think that is what the Federation meant when they said there is no rule for them.

From our state sanction last year they initially told us we had to ask if there was a medical wavier but we did not have to actually see it. Then later in the year we were told they didn't need a wavier and not to ask for it. Compression sleeves were fine let them be worn. So they can be any color or combinations of colors.

Again my guess is next year there will be specific guidelines for them.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:16am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
...there is no mention of compression sleeves a-e. I think that is what the Federation meant when they said there is no rule for them.
There is no mention of any specific item in e, which says to me that it applies to all items in the article.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
There is no mention of any specific item in e, which says to me that it applies to all items in the article.
Agreed.


There are no guidelines on how to handle determing the medical necessity. With a guard or brace we don't ask for medical paperwork so why would the sleeve be any different?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:37am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
Agreed.


There are no guidelines on how to handle determing the medical necessity. With a guard or brace we don't ask for medical paperwork so why would the sleeve be any different?
Didn't know we were discussing paperwork. You said there was no rule on sleeves.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:50am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,120
Not only is there a mention of these sleeves, the National Federation has used pictures to illustrate them. Not sure what you could be talking about "R" as you say there is no mention of them. The NF has used multiple pictures to show their legality in the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook and the PowerPoint slides.

Sounds like someone thinks they are OK to me.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 07:54am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,758
Kids Say The Darndest Things ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've seen more kids say "no" when asked if it is for medical reasons than "yes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
We went from asking if the item was for a medical reason to not asking anything.
Same situation as Sanqwells. As a result we now use the same procedure as The R. We just assume it's for a medical reason. Now that Allen Iverson has been banished to a Turkish prison, maybe these won't be worn for their "coolness" factor anymore?
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 05, 2010 at 08:42am.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 08:13am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,642
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Other states require documentation. Many fall in We ask, but don't require documents. Oddly, I've seen more kids say "no" when asked if it is for medical reasons than "yes."
This is how we've been instructed in N VA.

We will call the person over in warmups and ask that all important question, "Are you wearing your sleeve for a medical reason?"

"Yes" = it stays on.
"No" = it comes off.

We don't go plumbing for paperwork.

As Snaqs points out, more times than not, the answer has been "No" in when I ask too.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Oddly, I've seen more kids say "no" when asked if it is for medical reasons than "yes."
Sure, I've seen that too. I just keep asking until I get the correct answer.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 08:48am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,758
Lifelines ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I just keep asking until I get the correct answer.
Too easy. I only offer three extra chances: Fifty-Fifty, Ask the Audience, and Phone-A-Friend.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
From 2009-2010 Rulebook:

"ART. 2 . . . Guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must meet the
following guidelines:
a. A guard, cast or brace made of hard and unyielding leather, plaster, pliable (soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance may not be worn on the elbow, hand, finger/thumb, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft padding.
b. Hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, etc.) on the upper arm or shoulder must be padded.
c. Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be
covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufacturers are
acceptable. These braces may be padded or unpadded.
d. Must be worn for medical reasons."

Guards, casts, braces & compression sleeves can only be worn if medically needed, otherwise they should not be worn. Like mentioned earlier though it's up to each state governing body to determine if just asking is ok or if written proof is needed.

However at the same time, 3-7 states:

"The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her
judgment any item constitutes a safety concern, such as, but not limited to, a
player’s fingernails or hairstyle."

So if a guard, cast, brace, or compression sleeve, in the eyes of the R poses a safety concern, 3-5-2 can be nullified where the item even if medically needed would not be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
3-5-2: ...........compression sleeves must meet the following guidelines:

e. Must be worn for medical reasons.
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sleeve Question smbbcoach99 Basketball 23 Wed Feb 03, 2010 07:40am
Long Sleeve undershirt Bad Zebra Basketball 22 Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:33am
Question regarding sleeve color IceGator8 Baseball 15 Thu Apr 12, 2007 09:52pm
Short Sleeve Jackets 3appleshigh Baseball 28 Wed Mar 21, 2007 09:19pm
Undershirts, sleeve length VaCoach Basketball 8 Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:58am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1