The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:35pm
Ok is the new good

Rookie Schedule

What number of games assigned are considered good for a Rookie?

How do you stay sharp if there is a 2-3 week span between your assignments?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

It seems to me that 2-3 weeks between assignments is a long time, even for a rookie. Go to as many games as you can, watch the officials, and ask if you can attend their pre-game, half-time and post-game discussions.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Totally depends on the area.

Look for games from different assigners (perhaps at different levels) to keep working.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot tell you. I worked almost every day of the week including Sunday for several weeks. And in most cases there was more than one game a week. But that was a long time ago and in a different area that I work. Some people will not work for a couple of weeks like you in my current area, because when they get their licenses, it will take some time to get known or games have already been assigned. The best those people can do is to fill in when games come available. Like Bob J said, this really is an area thing. And I would also follow S_ref says here and go watch guys work. Ask to tag along with friends or meet guys at game (preferably varsity night contests). You will learn a lot by watching the best official in your area and seeing what they do. At least you can think basketball and see rules and judgment being applied.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 01:01pm
TODO: creative title here

Totally depends on the area... 2-3 weeks does seem like a long time, but it may be unavoidable due to team's schedules, your availablity, etc.

See if you can find some rec league work... yes, it's wreck ball, but any experience is good experience. (and there's no better way to learn to apply "advantage/disadvantage" then to try to officiate 12U girls basketball).
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 01:15pm
Back from the DL

It's a simple case of supply and demand.

If officials are in demand, less experienced ones are more likely to work games. If they have plenty of vets, the newer guys will get fewer games.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
Go to as many games as you can, watch the officials, and ask if you can attend their pre-game, half-time and post-game discussions.
Sound advice. If you sit in with the crew during their pre-game and half-time discussions, I would suggest listening more and talking less. Save your questions for the post-game pow-wow.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

How do you stay sharp if there is a 2-3 week span between your assignments?
My rookie year of '09-'10 I got ~15 HS games mostly freshman and JV. In addition, I reffed at whatever levels I could find EXCEPT ADULT REC LEAGUE. I reffed Jr. High, Youth, CYO and a pretty good HS Rec league.

Try to learn or work on one thing at every game at every level. Yesterday's game (Girls 9th grade), I worked on stepping towards the play on a shot instead of bailing out too early.

Let your assignors know that your stuff is packed and in the car at all times and no game is too far or too low a level.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Fri Dec 03, 2010 at 03:16pm.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
It's a simple case of supply and demand.

If officials are in demand, less experienced ones are more likely to work games. If they have plenty of vets, the newer guys will get fewer games.
Unless your in Houston. I guess with the economy there has not been a high turnover rate on fellow refs. Usually every year you would have anywhere from 50-65% of guys that dont return.

This year, the sub vars assignor are mainly concentrating on guys with 0-3 years of experience. Everyone else is SOL or getting whats left over especially if they dont have vars games.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 03:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
Unless your in Houston. I guess with the economy there has not been a high turnover rate on fellow refs. Usually every year you would have anywhere from 50-65% of guys that dont return.

This year, the sub vars assignor are mainly concentrating on guys with 0-3 years of experience. Everyone else is SOL or getting whats left over especially if they dont have vars games.
That seems like a huge turnover. Not saying we have better numbers, but why do you think there are so many not coming back?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

3rd year official.

I think I did about 40 JV/frosh games my first year.

I didn't do anything other than high school.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That seems like a huge turnover. Not saying we have better numbers, but why do you think there are so many not coming back?

Peace
Easy, they dont know how to handle fans and coaches. I can recall first year, some of the coaches being a-holes, fans constanly moaning from the stands. If your not mentally prepared for it, I can easily see why it would fluster young officials.

Around here, the second half of the season you get a huge amount of turnbacks, guys get that xmas money and disappear until next season.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 03:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
Easy, they dont know how to handle fans and coaches. I can recall first year, some of the coaches being a-holes, fans constanly moaning from the stands. If your not mentally prepared for it, I can easily see why it would fluster young officials.

Around here, the second half of the season you get a huge amount of turnbacks, guys get that xmas money and disappear until next season.
Wow!!! I get the not being able to mentally handle people yelling at you. But I guess I am surprised by the turn backs and why that would be "allowed." If we did that here those guys would not have many games the next season.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I'm guessing his turnover quote was with regards to 1st year officials. That doesn't seem that far off. I don't think our retention rate after the first year would be much better. A lot of people sign up that just aren't cut out for it. I'd bet that we lose nearly 75% of new officials within 3 years.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
why do you think there are so many not coming back
I can only talk about what I'm seeing:

1. The abuse has gotten worse from the fans and stayed the same from the coaches. Texas UIL gives lip service about sanctions against coaches but in my experience, unless they are ejected, there isn't a penalty. Ejections are rare and the officials are scrutinized heavily -- plus first year folks generally don't have the stones to run anyone.

2. Many large chapters are forced to put 2 first year officials in a jr. high game. These games are often as heated as any rivalry varsity contest and 2 first years can't handle it.

3. Large chapters see many, if not the majority of the time, blow out games with 40 or 50 foul calls. If its not that, then its urban jungle or street ball with little offense or defense being played. These games are not fun and wear down anyone. At the end of the year, there is a strong feeling that one can find something better to do.

4. The physical play has changed the game and made it much more difficult to learn to officiate. One guy in the meeting says "if someone hits the floor, there needs to be a foul called." Another person giving a new guy a critique says, "you're calling too many fouls." Then, they watch us work with mixed results and a very mixed message. While it was never an a+b=c formula, its made the learning curve more difficult.