The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Tell me if I'm right about this..... last Tuesday night(4/12) I was called to officiate a weekend tournament(AS slow pitch) .I accepted then told our BA that I could not call this week because I was finishing up the men's league basketball tourney(I can only call Tues/Thur). He said okay. Well....cut to Friday morning. I called him as soon as I got through at the doctor's office and was told by the doc that I would need to stay in bed for a few days so I was cancelling for the weekend. I also wasn't able to go to our weekly meeting Saturday because of this.

I get to work Monday and one of my co-workers, who also happens to ump, hands me an assignment sheet. I proceed to get upset then I called the BA to tell him he had made a mistake and that I could not do any games this week because of it. He said that I NEVER TOLD HIM. I said that I did Tuesaday night and he insisted that I never told him. I did not tape my convo with him but,all last week,the umps that work with me knew I was doing basketball and I told them that I told our BA that night.

I called him back because he wanted me to turn in my basketball assignment to take the softball and I told him no plus I had already been paid for these basketball games.He said that he did not have anyone else but I told him that I did tell him about those games and it would not be fair to the basketball BA to cancel on him not to mention the fact that I love doing any kind of champ games in any sport ,any gender or any level.

Was I right in doing this? This BA books ASA ,HS and other spring sports /
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsimp8
Tell me if I'm right about this..... last Tuesday night(4/12) I was called to officiate a weekend tournament(AS slow pitch) .I accepted then told our BA that I could not call this week because I was finishing up the men's league basketball tourney(I can only call Tues/Thur). He said okay. Well....cut to Friday morning. I called him as soon as I got through at the doctor's office and was told by the doc that I would need to stay in bed for a few days so I was cancelling for the weekend. I also wasn't able to go to our weekly meeting Saturday because of this.

I get to work Monday and one of my co-workers, who also happens to ump, hands me an assignment sheet. I proceed to get upset then I called the BA to tell him he had made a mistake and that I could not do any games this week because of it. He said that I NEVER TOLD HIM. I said that I did Tuesaday night and he insisted that I never told him. I did not tape my convo with him but,all last week,the umps that work with me knew I was doing basketball and I told them that I told our BA that night.

I called him back because he wanted me to turn in my basketball assignment to take the softball and I told him no plus I had already been paid for these basketball games.He said that he did not have anyone else but I told him that I did tell him about those games and it would not be fair to the basketball BA to cancel on him not to mention the fact that I love doing any kind of champ games in any sport ,any gender or any level.

Was I right in doing this? This BA books ASA ,HS and other spring sports /
Sounds like a communication error on which part I can't say. I also can't say you are right or wrong. Look at it from your assignors point of view. He must make schedules, then call to verify, then fill in the can'ts, then re-schedule, then call to verify, and on and on. Then 15 minutes before game time one ump calls him and asks "who is my partner?, he's not here." Help out your assignor, give him a schedule of when you are not available IN WRITING, by FAX, e-mail, or hand deliver. It will help you both.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

If you clearly told him that you could not do it, then you should not be expected to cover for his mistake. On the other hand if there is any question, then you should try to find a substitute for one or the other as you are clearly double booked. Next time if at all possible give the request in writing of some form that you can keep a copy of. E-mail is great if available as you can get a return receipt which shows the person opened it.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I did the booking for about 3 yrs until he took over so I know the headaches but to hear him talk at the meetings he has a pen and pad near his phone to take take down messages.I knew he had acknowledged my request when he said "that's fine" and "thanks for letting me know" on Tuesday because the last thing I could not stand was to have someone come up at the meeting and say they could not work that week. That's what fines are for. When he said what he said I assumed I was cleared of any softball obligation.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like serious MisQ..

anyway..

My FED assignor uses TheArbiter.net.. that online scheduling program is great and makes planning schedules and making contact and noting info for partners etc great. Highly recommended...
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Yup. Arbiter has definitely made my life easier as an umpire, and I hope that it has made my assignor's life easier as well.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.