The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Would this have been an historic event?

On a different thread, I mentioned the 5th grade "competitive" girls game I worked last night. It turns out that it was actually a 5th grade team playing a 6th grade team, mostly since only two 5th grade teams joined that league this season. Anyway, the game begins and right after the opening tip, the 5th grade team (team A) gets the ball and A1 shoots it into the wrong basket. She was just confused. We told the scorer what to do and continued on. Team B seemed to score with relative ease and team A couldn't score at all.

At halftime, it was 28-0. I told my partner that we might be witnessing an historic event. He asked me to explain. I said even though there would really be no way to research it and/or prove it, if team A didn't score in the entire game, we would have a game in which a team scored more points for its opponent than for itself! I can't imagine that ever happening before at any level, anywhere.

He looked amazed and said I might be right but, of course, there would be no way to verify it. Anyway, team A finally scored with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and wound up losing 46-10. They did miss all 12 of their free throws. Even if they had only scored that one basket, we still would have had a situation in which a team scored the same number of points for its opponent as it scored for itself.

Can any of you come up with an instance of anything like this happening previously?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
..... Even if they had only scored that one basket, we still would have had a situation in which a team scored the same number of points for its opponent as it scored for itself.

Can any of you come up with an instance of anything like this happening previously?
Not that I recall off the top of my head. These one sided games are tough. Last night I had one that was 46-5. A few years back I had a varsity girls game that was 93-6.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

"AN historic event" v. "A historic event."

Discuss.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Out of my league

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Discuss.
We need mbyron for this one.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

Discuss.
I was taught that you use the word "an" when the first syllable of the following word begins with a vowel sound (and I am one of those people who drop the "h" in this case - say it out loud quickly). Since I write in a narrative style (and this is a "discussion" board), this is a proper usage.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Discuss.
Actually, according to the dictionary, you can use "an" preceding a weakly pronounced h

"the form of a before an initial vowel sound ( an arch; an honor ) and sometimes, esp. in British English, before an initial unstressed syllable beginning with a silent or weakly pronounced h : an historian."

Where's MBryon?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:59pm
In Memoriam

According to Wikipedia, it has already occurred in a competitive kindergarten game in Baden Baden, Germany before a crowd of 11, 203 on Dec. 14, 2006. The final score was 67-0 for the Baden Baden Bullies-Bullies.

Also according to Wikipedia, it has happened twice in a non-competitive second-grade game and once in a non-competitive third-grade game.

It's true, it's true.....
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 01:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Discuss.
No.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 02:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I did a college football game where the visitors scored 3 points, but conceded 2 safeties.

That's sorta-kinda the same.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Actually, according to the dictionary, you can use "an" preceding a weakly pronounced h

"the form of a before an initial vowel sound ( an arch; an honor ) and sometimes, esp. in British English, before an initial unstressed syllable beginning with a silent or weakly pronounced h : an historian."

Where's MBryon?
I think this only works if you say it with a really snooty David Niven-style British accent.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

I had a 5/6 grade girls game where one team was short of 5 players, borrowed a player from the other team. The borrowed player scored 2 FGs, then returned to her original team as the other players showed up. Back on her original team, she scored 2 FGs. Just before half-time, another girl scored her 3 FG.
Borrowed girl was very close to being the leading scorer for both teams at half time.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

My dad told me about a game (HS) where he was high point man for both teams. At that time there was a jump ball after every scored field goal. At half-time, he got the tip-off and ran down the court for an easy layup - especially since no one was chasing him but his own teammates. Since he had a head start, he scored 2 points for the other team. The only other scores the other team had were two free throws by two different players. I don't remember what he said the final score was, but it was something like 60-4.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 05:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
My dad told me about a game (HS) where he was high point man for both teams. At that time there was a jump ball after every scored field goal. At half-time, he got the tip-off and ran down the court for an easy layup - especially since no one was chasing him but his own teammates. Since he had a head start, he scored 2 points for the other team. The only other scores the other team had were two free throws by two different players. I don't remember what he said the final score was, but it was something like 60-4.
Anyone know when that jump ball rule was changed? I'm so old my memory isn't much good further back than about 24 minutes, er, hours, I think.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone know when that jump ball rule was changed? I'm so old my memory isn't much good further back than about 24 minutes, er, hours, I think.
"In that era, a jump ball followed every basket, a practice that was eliminated in 1937."

USATODAY.com - Possession arrow creates hoops impasse
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm 100% Certain ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
At that time there was a jump ball after every scored field goal.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. officiated that game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)