The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Game(s) rescheduled due to weather

What normally happens when a game you're assigned to get rescheduled due to weather?

What happens if the game that gets rescheduled to a day where you are assigned another game is playing at the same time?
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
What happens if the game that gets rescheduled to a day where you are assigned another game is playing at the same time?
Since I have multiple personalities, I work both games at the same time.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:27pm
I miss being on the floor

I can only speak for my area, but we don't necessarily "own" our games. If the game is rescheduled, the assignor may check and see if we're free. It might be the case that when the game is rescheduled, we're already working that night and can't take it.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I feel sorry for those where your bad/evil personality is officiating LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 11:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
What normally happens when a game you're assigned to get rescheduled due to weather?
The timer and the bookkeeper usually play one on one.

If necessary, they come to the game by dogsled.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 11:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I can only speak for my area, but we don't necessarily "own" our games. If the game is rescheduled, the assignor may check and see if we're free. It might be the case that when the game is rescheduled, we're already working that night and can't take it.
That's how it is here. I'm pretty sure it works differently with individually contracted officials (Rich would know), though.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Same here in Central Iowa. If we're free on the rescheduled night we get it.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

LMAO, How'd you know that's how they conduct the census in remote parts of Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The timer and the bookkeeper usually play one on one.

If necessary, they come to the game by dogsled.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 05:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
+1

I lost 18 games last yr due to snow.

Assignors were going crazy to get all the games in. With that many schedule adjustments we all just got what we could.......
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 07:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

High school: We get the game back. If already assigned a game on the reschedule date we get to choose the one we want to work.

College: Supervisor says we don't own the game but try to give us the game back.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 07:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's how it is here. I'm pretty sure it works differently with individually contracted officials (Rich would know), though.
We get first crack at the reschedule. The commissioners (assignors) do the original assigning for conference games, but typically the home AD is responsible for any game that gets rescheduled. It's not unusual that the call we get letting us know the game is postponed also lets us know the makeup date so we can either take it right away or let the AD know we're busy.

Many makeups here are done on "off" nights where there are fewer games, such as Mondays or Thursdays. The schools are usually playing already on the busy nights, although there are exceptions and some schools will reschedule without even considering that it will be tough to find officials to work their games. If a school reschedules my game on a Friday, for example, I don't even need to look at my calendar -- I'm already working. Any contracted game (to me) takes precedence, but I only schedule varsity games. Officials that take both varsity and sub-varsity will frequently take the varsity and then find a sub for the sub-varsity. Schools understand this and are OK with it as long as you find a warm body for the freshman/JV game you are giving back.

Unlike association areas, the AD is on the hook and cannot call an assignor who will step up and help. Our associations maintain lists of officials who (self) claim availability, but that's about it. Frequently those lists are dated, although I try to keep mine up as best as I can.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Snow Days ...

Quote:
We don't necessarily "own" our games. If the game is rescheduled, the assignor may check and see if we're free. It might be the case that when the game is rescheduled, we're already working that night and can't take it.
Same here in my little corner of Connecticut. The Arbiter takes care of it. Also, it's frowned upon to do more than one varsity game (late afternoon, night) in one day, although on the "reschedule day" it's been known to happen when the schedule is overbooked. We have 70 schools, almost 140 varsity programs, and only 130 varsity officials. Throw in a few injuries, an illness or two, and some blocked out days, or schools, and we have problems on these "reschedule days".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 07:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same here in my little corner of Connecticut. The Arbiter takes care of it. Also, it's frowned upon to do more than one varsity game (late afternoon, night) in one day, although on the "reschedule day" it's been known to happen when the schedule is overbooked. We have 70 schools, almost 140 varsity programs, and only 130 varsity officials. Throw in a few injuries, an illness or two, and some blocked out days, or schools, and we have problems on these "reschedule days".
I'd work 2 games every Saturday if I could find enough afternoon games.

"Frowned upon"? See, that's what I don't get. If officials are independent contractors, how can they be restricted from working more than one game? It's what I never understood about systems where there's only one assignor (who's blessed by the state) and it's "his way or the highway" -- isn't that restricting the trade of an independent contractor?

I worked in such a system in the 90s. You'd go to an association meeting and they'd tell you that as a varsity official, you weren't allowed to work anything but varsity games and then they'd hand you a schedule with only 1-2 dates per week. I much prefer my current system -- if I want to work 2 dates a week, it's up to me. If I want to work 6 dates a week, I can.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 07:40am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

And Skippy Weasel Pants can work the third game that was scheduled that night.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 07:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

After All, We Are The Consitution State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
"Frowned upon"? See, that's what I don't get. If officials are independent contractors, how can they be restricted from working more than one game?
Sorry, wrong choice of words. It's in our local board's constitution, a constitution that is voted on by our membership whenever someone suggests a change, which is often. So far, nobody has ever suggested a change in this part of our constitution, although we have allowed our assigner to rarely double up with an official when absolutely needed, as described above. We believe that it's important to put an official with "fresh legs" in a varsity game whenever possible. This rule doesn't involve subvarsity games, where double assignments are fairly common.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 30, 2010 at 07:43am.