The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No problem. Also note, if the player had used his dribble, he cannot dribble again unless the defense another player touched the ball while it was loose or caused it to come loose.
Fixed it for you.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 08:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Fixed it for you.
Good point, thanks.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
Rule 4-44 art. 3 after coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot the pivot foot may be lifted but not returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for the goal.
Taken literally, this could lead to some interesting situations....A1 jumps, A1 fumbles the ball. A1 lands. This rule, taken alone, would mean that A1 traveled regardless of who subsequently touches the ball.

In fact, try this one....A1 jumps, B1 blocks A1's try before A1 released te ball the ball. A1 lands. This rule, taken alone, would mean that A1 traveled.

The point....this rule assumes it is not complicated by other actions such as a fumble, a blocked shot, or who knows what.

As has been said, a blocked shot or a fumble changes everything. A1 is now a player gaining control of a loose ball.

Imagine this one....

A1 having used their dribble establishes a pivot foot. A1 fumbles the ball. A1 takes 5 steps in order to get the ball. A1 again establishes a piviot foot in the new location. Has A1 violated at any point along the way? No. A1 can not travel while not holding the ball (player control).
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not understanding some of the thought proccess. He didn't just "jump" he started the habitual motion that preceeds a release of the ball trying to score a goal...that is totally different by rule than a jump. The only legal things he can do from there before he touches the ground is release the ball on a pass or try for a goal. I've played this game for a long time and coached for a long time...only officiated for a short time but it's always been a travell. And when studying the rule it shows travell. Not saying I'm right I just haven't seen anything rule quote wise that is changing my mind
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not understanding some of the thought proccess. He didn't just "jump" he started the habitual motion that preceeds a release of the ball trying to score a goal...that is totally different by rule than a jump. The only legal things he can do from there before he touches the ground is release the ball on a pass or try for a goal. I've played this game for a long time and coached for a long time...only officiated for a short time but it's always been a travell. And when studying the rule it shows travell. Not saying I'm right I just haven't seen anything rule quote wise that is changing my mind
Rule 4-21 = "A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a players grasp"

Therefore whether a jump or a shot how can it be a travel if the player lost player control?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sadly, the thinking from all of your years of experience would give you the wrong ruling during an NCAA game.

So what does that tell you?

A.R. 82. After ending a dribble, A1 leaves the playing court to attempt a try for goal. While airborne, A1 fumbles the ball. A1 (a) recovers the fumble while airborne, or (b) recovers the fumble after returning to the floor. A1 dribbles the ball. The official calls a violation. Is the official correct? RULING: Yes. In (a) and (b) A1 is permitted to recover the ball but after recovering the ball, A1 started a second dribble. However, if a fumble is touched by another player and then recovered by A1, while airborne or after a return to the floor, A1 is allowed to start another dribble. If A1 had not previously dribbled the ball, and while airborne fumbled and recovered the ball (while airborne or after a return to the floor), he is permitted to start a dribble.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Dec 01, 2010 at 09:16pm.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Like I said I'm not saying I'm right.
All my years of experience where at the high school level and not NCAA. I'm sure the rule may differ between the two.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're hung up on the fact that it was a try; it doesn't matter. He could have jumped to pass, it's the same thing. You're not looking at the right rule; read the case play. By your logic, 4.44.3A would be a travel.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Like I said I'm not saying I'm right.
All my years of experience where at the high school level and not NCAA. I'm sure the rule may differ between the two.
Nope.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Sadly, the thinking from all of your years of experience would give you the wrong ruling during an NCAA game.

So what does that tell you?

A.R. 82. After ending a dribble, A1 leaves the playing court to attempt a try for goal. While airborne, A1 fumbles the ball. A1 (a) recovers the fumble while airborne, or (b) recovers the fumble after returning to the floor. A1 dribbles the ball. The official calls a violation. Is the official correct? RULING: Yes. In (a) and (b) A1 is permitted to recover the ball but after recovering the ball, A1 started a second dribble. However, if a fumble is touched by another player and then recovered by A1, while airborne or after a return to the floor, A1 is allowed to start another dribble. If A1 had not previously dribbled the ball, and while airborne fumbled and recovered the ball (while airborne or after a return to the floor), he is permitted to start a dribble.
The touch by the opponent has to cause a loss of control in order for A1 to dribble a second time, right?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Ok I will look into this deeper. Thanks all
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
The touch by the opponent has to cause a loss of control in order for A1 to dribble a second time, right?
Or be during the lost control; and it doesn't have to be an opponent.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wrong, the fumble changes everything.
This is the only written NFHS ruling that I've ever seen on this action.

2000-2001 BASKETBALL INTERPRETATIONS
SUPPLEMENT #1 (11/9/00)
SITUATION 1: A1 is an airborne shooter preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt. Instead of releasing the ball on the try, A1 fumbles the ball (while still in the air) and drops it. A1 then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball. RULING: Traveling violation. While airborne the bail must be released for a try or pass. (4—43-3a; 94)

Just saying...
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is the only written NFHS ruling that I've ever seen on this action.

2000-2001 BASKETBALL INTERPRETATIONS
SUPPLEMENT #1 (11/9/00)
SITUATION 1: A1 is an airborne shooter preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt. Instead of releasing the ball on the try, A1 fumbles the ball (while still in the air) and drops it. A1 then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball. RULING: Traveling violation. While airborne the bail must be released for a try or pass. (4—43-3a; 94)

Just saying...
Soooooooo?

If A1 is an airborne shooter, fumbles the ball, grabs it again in the air without it being touched by another player and then lands with the ball, using the same logic it's also traveling because the ball was never released on a pass or a try?

Just asking.....
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

He has another option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfan View Post
Back to a travel call then. He left the floor in control of the ball. His legal options while in the air are pass or shoot. He came back down in control of the ball, he had not passed or shot - travel is the violation.
Why are you all assuming that he was jumping for a try or a pass? This could have been a jump stop. If you judge that he was passing or it was a try then I agree, travel. However, a player can leap off of one foot and land simultaneously on both feet and not be called for a travel. In this case I know of no rule or case book play that says a momentary loss of control constitutes a travel.