The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
there is a comma in there... The try ends ewhen the throw is successful, when it is CERTAIN the thrown ball is unsuccessful, when the thrown ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead.

The motion that preceeds the release of the ball and then the landing I would believe is where the violation comes from. If he wouldn't have fumbled the ball and did the same thing, it would be a travel. So the fumble shouldn't mean anything.
I'm sorry but somewhere I got lost on this dicussion. Anybody wanna let me in on the new debate?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
SUppose this happend on a jump stop. The dribble ended when the player gathered the ball. He then jumps off one foot. He loses control momentarily and regains it before he comes down on both feet. This is not a travel.
The case play here is 4.44.3D, which when read in concert with 4.44.3A tells you it's a travel if the player jumps to shoot, intentionally releases the ball, then catches it before it hits the floor. Whether he lands before the ball is caught is irrelevant, also.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I absolutely agree with that! I would think that fumbling the ball and landing with out the ball hitting the floor would be the same travell call
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I absolutely agree with that! I would think that fumbling the ball and landing with out the ball hitting the floor would be the same travell call
You would
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Indiana...what do you mean by that?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
A1 is dribbling and jumps into the air. Somehow the ball slips from his grasp above his head and hangs in the air for a split second. While the ball is separated, his hands/arms are moving "frantically" in order to re-grab the ball. He then grabs the ball and lands.

Loss of possession therefore legal?

Or Travel?

Thanks!
Can you describe where his feet were when the last dribble occurred or the last touch occurred? Based on your description, the player was dribbling the ball and jumped into the air. You did not indicate that the player picked up his dribble -- you simply indicated that the ball slipped from his grasp (on the dribble or did he attempt to pick up the dribble with both hands). You then indicated that the ball ended up over his head (is this a case of a high dribble?). Doing all of this while in the air. Where his feet were when the last touch was made is relevant. If he does all of this while his feet are in the air, I cannot see how the play can be ruled a travel -- assuming the feet were off the ground when the last dribble occurred.

By definition, per 4-44, "traveling is moving the foot or feet in any direction in excess of the prescribed limits while HOLDING the ball." I find it hard to see a travel in this play unless the feet are doing more than has been described.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Can you describe where his feet were when the last dribble occurred or the last touch occurred? Based on your description, the player was dribbling the ball and jumped into the air. You did not indicate that the player picked up his dribble -- you simply indicated that the ball slipped from his grasp (on the dribble or did he attempt to pick up the dribble with both hands). You then indicated that the ball ended up over his head (is this a case of a high dribble?). Doing all of this while in the air. Where his feet were when the last touch was made is relevant. If he does all of this while his feet are in the air, I cannot see how the play can be ruled a travel -- assuming the feet were off the ground when the last dribble occurred.

By definition, per 4-44, "traveling is moving the foot or feet in any direction in excess of the prescribed limits while HOLDING the ball." I find it hard to see a travel in this play unless the feet are doing more than has been described.
Okay lets see if I can be clearer. He was dribbling. Stopped. Jumped. And somehow the ball was fumbled in the judgement of the officials (dont disagree they had a great look at it) and the ball continued to go upward in direction. It wasnt a shot. The player then regained control of the ball. And landed. Hope this helped.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Back to a travel call then. He left the floor in control of the ball. His legal options while in the air are pass or shoot. He came back down in control of the ball, he had not passed or shot - travel is the violation.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfan View Post
Back to a travel call then. He left the floor in control of the ball. His legal options while in the air are pass or shoot. He came back down in control of the ball, he had not passed or shot - travel is the violation.
What about the fumble? Which is accidental loss of player control. If he loses player control on his fumble how can you have a travel when he re-gains the ball and lands?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfan View Post
Wrong, the fumble changes everything.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And you're wrong.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wrong, the fumble changes everything.
Snaq, not making fun or being disrespectful, but is it that difficult to understand?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Snaq, not making fun or being disrespectful, but is it that difficult to understand?
No, it's not. That said, I noticed that our Twinfan is from Canada. That means he might be commenting from a more, uh, metric perspective. Perhaps this play is ruled differently in metric rules.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No, it's not. That said, I noticed that our Twinfan is from Canada. That means he might be commenting from a more, uh, metric perspective. Perhaps this play is ruled differently in metric rules.

Could be. We haven't integrated to the metric system down south yet. Maybe soon though.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Very good previous discussion of this in these old threads:

Airborne Fumble - Rule question.

Shooter Unintentionally Drops the Ball

Travel?