The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Official Book

Is the head coach of the home team allowed to take the official book into the locker room at halftime? I saw a coach do this last night and thought it seemed strange.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

ouch!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:28am
#thereferee99

I think you have a sense of the answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
Is the head coach of the home team allowed to take the official book into the locker room at halftime? I saw a coach do this last night and thought it seemed strange.
... I saw it in a playoff game last year! R comes over to table (I was behind it a few rows) and asks to check the book. Scorekeeper says coach has it. Look on R's face -- priceless!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
... I saw it in a playoff game last year! R comes over to table (I was behind it a few rows) and asks to check the book. Scorekeeper says coach has it. Look on R's face -- priceless!
Did he declare the visitors' book to be official at that point?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Is the head coach of the home team allowed to take the official book into the locker room at halftime?
No. NFHS rule 2-11-11 and case book play 2.11.11. No specific penalty unless deemed an unsporting act.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

It is a technical foul in college.

If it was taken to the locker room by the scorer, it is an administrative technical. If it is taken at the direction of the head coach, it is a direct T (women) or Class B T (men.)

A.R. 8
Rule 2-9.12 and 10-2.4
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
It is a technical foul in college.

If it was taken to the locker room by the scorer, it is an administrative technical. If it is taken at the direction of the head coach, it is a direct T (women) or Class B T (men.)

A.R. 8
Rule 2-9.12 and 10-2.4
This play is on page 16 of the Dec issue of Referee Magazine. It says we should issue a technical for to the coach in high school as well.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
This play is on page 16 of the Dec issue of Referee Magazine. It says we should issue a technical for to the coach in high school as well.
You certainly may issue a technical foul, but it is not required. Note the final sentence below.

2.11.11 SITUATION: Team A’s scorebook is the official scorebook for the game. Team A’s scorer is requested by Team A’s head coach to bring the scorebook to the locker room at halftime to review several pieces of information. RULING: Prohibited; the scorebook shall remain at the table throughout the game, including all intermissions. There is no specific penalty for removing the scorebook; however, if the officials believe the scorebook was removed as an unsporting act, it could be penalized accordingly. (10-1-8; 10-3-6; 10-4-1)
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Believe me, Referee is not noted for their accuracy or acumen when answering rules questions. They have been ridiculously wrong on many, many occasions.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 02:27pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Believe me, Referee is not noted for their accuracy or acumen when answering rules questions. They have been ridiculously wrong on many, many occasions.
Maybe those booboos could form the basis for the new book.."How NOT to Officiate", that you are eminently qualified to author I'd want an autographed copy.
Can I get an AMEN?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

The Officials did not know it was gone. The Coach took it after the Officials checked in at the table and it was returned before th Officials returned. The game was blowout but I thought that did not seem like it would be allowable.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Officials did not know it was gone. The Coach took it after the Officials checked in at the table and it was returned before th Officials returned. The game was blowout but I thought that did not seem like it would be allowable.
Now what happens say the book comes back with a different score or number of fouls (team/player) than the visiting book after it was carried to the locker room and after being checked, or lets say without being checked?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Now what happens say the book comes back with a different score or number of fouls (team/player) than the visiting book after it was carried to the locker room and after being checked, or lets say without being checked?
The R is supposed to approve the score at the end of each half, by rule. Any changes have to be authorized by the R. If someone changes it after it's been approved, change it back if you can. If you can't, then go with the visitors book as Snaqs suggested above.

This might be about the only case where I'd personally even dream about handing out a "T" to someone for screwing around with the book.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 06:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Thank you for capitalizing "Officials". But, please, don't do it with "Coach".
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fortunately, Ref Mag is NOT an authoritative source of NFHS rulings.

Yet another one from them which is incorrect.