The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Girl's varsity game. Home scorer was a member of the JV... yakking on phone, not paying attention, etc. The visitors had an adult scorer....very attentive, etc. I don't have my rule book handy, but is the referee allowed to declare the visitor's book official, or do we just remove the home team's scorer, and replace?

You have to figure if the JV girl was the most qualified, I'd hate to think what the next choice was.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Girl's varsity game. Home scorer was a member of the JV... yakking on phone, not paying attention, etc. The visitors had an adult scorer....very attentive, etc. I don't have my rule book handy, but is the referee allowed to declare the visitor's book official, or do we just remove the home team's scorer, and replace?

You have to figure if the JV girl was the most qualified, I'd hate to think what the next choice was.
I would have a quick talk with her at the next dead ball. "Maam, please power that phone off til the end of the game".

Might also say something to site management if nothing changes.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, the referee can designate the official book. See 2-4-3 and 2-11-11 (next-to-last sentence)
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

You could have her replaced if she doesnt comply.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Yes, the referee can designate the official book. See 2-4-3 and 2-11-11 (next-to-last sentence)
I've done it once. Home book was busy with boyfriend. Very busy!

Visitor did a great job.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
I had a problem with the official scorer acting too much like a fan -- cheering, complaining about every call against the home team, etc. When I went looking for the athletic director to replace the scorer, I found out he was at the table -- keeping score.

My partner and I talked to the "entire table" before the second half, reminding them that they were part of the officiating crew and that they needed to act that way. The AD winked at us for that tactic -- and we had no problem with him in the second half.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BayStateRef
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
I had a problem with the official scorer acting too much like a fan -- cheering, complaining about every call against the home team, etc. When I went looking for the athletic director to replace the scorer, I found out he was at the table -- keeping score.

My partner and I talked to the "entire table" before the second half, reminding them that they were part of the officiating crew and that they needed to act that way. The AD winked at us for that tactic -- and we had no problem with him in the second half.
Just because he's the AD doesn't mean you can't fire his ***.