The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Iaabo

So I imagine most of you veterans are part of IAABO.

This is my first year of officiating. At what point in my career should I start thinking about joining? What are the benefits? Costs?

Last edited by JohnDorian37; Tue Nov 30, 2010 at 11:26pm.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post

This is my first year of officiating. At what point in my career should I start thinking about joining? What are the benefits? Costs?
Personally, unless your state requires it, I wouldn't bother.

Mine does, so I bother.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 12:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Asking ???

Quote:
Why would you think that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why would you think that?
Just assumed that was the thing to do. Watched two BV games tonight and 4 or 5 of the 6 refs had their little IAABO patches.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Fyi there are many more states with little or no IAABO presence and membership is strictly elective than there are states where IAABO is the governing body and membership is mandatory. What it isn't is some sort of elite officials association.

Iow your assumption above is not based on fact. Some veterans are members; some aren't. But IAABO membership isn't really relevant in any way that I can think of.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

One example where the IAABO patch is used;
In my area, almost all tournaments and leagues including, AAU, off season high school, and travel leagues use as part of their advertising that 'only IAABO certified refs' will work their games. Obviously, this is not saying that the games will have the best refs in the world but it does say that at a minimum the refs have been certified to know the rules and they are not just grabbing a guy who bought a striped shirt at Sports Authority to ref the games.

I think this may also help with pay for the non high school games. If they use non IAABO refs, teams could go elsewhere to play because there are loads of tournaments to pick from during AAU season.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
One example where the IAABO patch is used;
In my area, almost all tournaments and leagues including, AAU, off season high school, and travel leagues use as part of their advertising that 'only IAABO certified refs' will work their games. Obviously, this is not saying that the games will have the best refs in the world but it does say that at a minimum the refs have been certified to know the rules and they are not just grabbing a guy who bought a striped shirt at Sports Authority to ref the games.

I think this may also help with pay for the non high school games. If they use non IAABO refs, teams could go elsewhere to play because there are loads of tournaments to pick from during AAU season.
The IAABO patch is used in MASS because IAABO is recognized as the state governing rules body in that state. No more, no less. low "IAABO Certfied Refs" in MASS is exactly the same as state patched refs elsewhere. Every state has something similar, not just the few states where IAABO is recognized as the states governing authority. It's similar to say,Illinois where the state governing body decides who works what post-season games.

And iirc, the MASS high school group also still holds power over IAABO in all true governance issues also, as in dictating coverage of post-game hand shakes, wearing mouthguards, etc. Right, Scrappy?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Dec 01, 2010 at 04:09pm.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 05:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The IAABO patch is used in MASS because IAABO is recognized as the state governing rules body in that state. No more, no less. low "IAABO Certfied Refs" in MASS is exactly the same as state patched refs elsewhere. Every state has something similar, not just the few states where IAABO is recognized as the states governing authority. It's similar to say,Illinois where the state governing body decides who works what post-season games.

And iirc, the MASS high school group also still holds power over IAABO in all true governance issues also, as in dictating coverage of post-game hand shakes, wearing mouthguards, etc. Right, Scrappy?
CO is the same way, in that state certification is done through IAABO, but CHSAA is still the "governing body." This is my 5th season in CO, and I've already seen them deviate from both NFHS and IAABO in the same year on mechanics (table-side stuff, mostly).
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'm new to the scene--I get the sense that there is some animosity between IAABO and everyone else. Any truth to this?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Didn't They Give Me A Whistle ???

Quote:
They are not just grabbing a guy who bought a striped shirt at Sports Authority to ref the games.
I got mine at Foot Locker.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Nope. Absolutely no reason to be a member in my area and it means nothing to be a member other than pay more money to get stuff.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 10:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have kept my membership in IAABO even though I am not in an "IAABO area". I received good training from IAABO both locally and at camps. That said, if I was just starting out today here in FL, where IAABO is not a sanctioning body, I would not join. IAABO has a uniformity in rules interps & mechanics which usually lends to ease in transfers from one area to another without having to start over. If I ever move to an IAABO area or if they become the training arm here in FL, my paid dues will save me some headaches. And if I travel back to VT in season, I can still do games there.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm new to the scene--I get the sense that there is some animosity between IAABO and everyone else. Any truth to this?
Not that I'm aware of. IAABO is a good organization and also does a good job for it's members imo. What it isn't is a rules-making body. It can interpret NFHS rules within it's jurisdiction(where it has jurisdiction) but all final rulings come from the NFHS rulesmakers.

You were just being given some info to answer your questions about possible membership. It can't hurt; it can certainly help....but in my personal opinion, if you're going to spend time trying to improve your rules knowledge, you're better off simply visiting this web site on a regular basis. This web site has a veritable plethora...plethora, I tell ya...of very rules-knowledgable people(some of whom may also be IAABO members) very willing to answer any questions that might come up. It's a better source of knowledge and info than say, Referee Magazine imo.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestion of where to get a striped shirt, now I know where to go LMAO.

Quote:
bought a striped shirt at Sports Authority
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
now I know where to go
must...stifle...urge...to...comment