The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I've been seeing references to the IAABO online for along time, but I don't know a whole lot about it (even reading their web site). SO I ask here. Can anyone join, why should I join, etc..... Please just give me the lowdown.

Thank you for your help
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Some of the IAABO boards

do a good job educating their members. Some have contracts for assignments. Some don't.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 05:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb From what I gather......

IAABO is mostly a regional thing. Much of the Eastern part of the country as boards that are affiliated with IAABO and they have to be members to get games. Even in my area, you can join IAABO if you choose, but it does nothing for you as an official outside of what a local official's association cannot do. They have some nice training tools, but that is already accomplished by our state and the local associations. So you hear a lot about IAABO because many that are here are members and have to take their tests to officiate in their region of the country. My state only provided information from the NF, IAABO is like a foreign third-world country to me.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

You only have to belong to a board to get

games if the board contracts for the games. Some IAABO boards do, some don't.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Mark DeNucci should probably answer this question, but I'll give it a shot.

IAABO is an (as the name implies) international organization dedicated to the improvement and education of basketball officials. Anyone can join as an individual member, even if there is not a local board. IAABO holds interpretation meetings for all of its local interpreters, where new rules, interpretations, mechanics are all disseminated and fully explained. Those interpreters then all go back to their respective boards and give the same interpretations, hopefully making officiating throughout the country more uniform. That's the theory, anyway.

The dues get you a rule book, case book, official's manual and a members' directory, as well as a newsletter (called "Sportorials"). Some areas of the country (like Massachusetts) require an official to be a member of IAABO in order to officiate inter-scholastic games.

For most people, I think membership isn't worth it if it's not required, but there are still advantages to being a member. It just depends on whether you think it's worth the annual dues.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The dues get you a rule book, case book, official's manual and a members' directory, as well as a newsletter (called "Sportorials").

My IAABO membership pays for my rulebooks? Just checked the back of my card and you are right. I pay my IAABO membership fee each year as well as an association membership fee which is supposed to cover the cost of my rulebooks. Am I getting billed twice for my rulebooks?

What fees do you guys pay your association?--I can't remember exactly what I pay. I think it is:
$25-35? IAABO membership
$10 Association membership
$15 per sport season
7% of game fees
(This could all be wrong I didn't really pay that much attention-I think somewhere along the line there was also a $25 fee for the first year you join the association-or was it first year you join IAABO?)
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

One of the better benifits of IAABO is the insurance
it amount of coverage is twice as much and covers far more.
They cover not only at the game but to and from the game
they cover cardio and have provisions to cover lost games and rehab from injuries.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Massachusetts:

Our IAABO Board dues this year are $65. This pays for our IAABO International dues, our MIAA dues (state HS registration in basketball). We get a book that includes IAABO membership list, the Rule Book, the Case Book and the Official's Manual (2 and 3 man). Also we usually get a goodie bag with some items like a date book, pre-game card, and whistle or something similar. We are required to attend an interpretation meeting (new rules, etc.) and three follow-up meetings. At the first few meetings there is a vendor there selling uniforms and supplies. Each member is invited to a banquet in March (paid for by our dues) and guests are charges $20 to attend.

Most basketball boards in my state are IAABO boards. However, there are a few non-IAABO boards that I know of who referee girls/women only.

Personally, I like IAABO and have been to several of their referee camps.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some areas of the country (like Massachusetts) require an official to be a member of IAABO in order to officiate inter-scholastic games.
This is incorrect.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 11:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
Quote:
Some areas of the country (like Massachusetts) require an official to be a member of IAABO in order to officiate inter-scholastic games.
This is incorrect.
Why?

I think that it's correct for Georgia-up to this year,anyway.I think that Georgia is voting now as to whether they're gonna keep IAABO as their official State body.I know that there are other states in the East that also have IAABO as their recognized State body for basketball officiating too.

Could you explain why Chuck's statement was incorrect, please?
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

On the MIAA website (Massachusetts State HS Asso.)
they list 19 Basketball Officials Boards that are sanctioned by them (dues paying members/recognized).
13 are IAABO Boards and 6 are not. All 19 boards can assign referees to HS basketball games, including tournament play.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

And that's

just part of the story. Full story costs extra.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 02:32pm
In Memoriam

Re: And that's

Quote:
just part of the story. Full story costs extra.
You've got me confused as hell now,Jeff.I know that some states have appointed IAABO as their governing state body for basketball. That means that they are supposed to interpret NFHS rules for that state. As far as I know, Georgia had IAABO in that role for the last three years. I believe that some New England states use IAABO as their governing body also. Are you saying that is false?
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
This is incorrect.
Sorry. I'm showing my bias toward boys' and men's basketball. Jeff is right about Massachusetts. As Maryann pointed out, there are non-IAABO boards in Mass. and they primarily do girls' games. Here in my local area, you had to be an IAABO member to officiate boys HS games, period. That has now changed, for reasons that escape me, to be honest. Now, IAABO officials officiate both boys and girls games, and the non-IAABO board is also allowed to officiate the boys games. So why are there two boards?!?! I don't know.

Anyway, I should have said that it used to be that way. And my guess is that it still is that way in some parts of the country, but here in Mass, Jeff is right: you do not need to be an IAABO official to work inter-scholastic games. In some areas of the state, however, you do need to be an IAABO member to work boys games.

Is that better Jeff?
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

That is, indeed, more accurate.