The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Excessive TO-Free Throws Too Early

This actually happened in a game, but no one picked up on it.

Team A down twp points, grabs rebound with 8 seconds left and Team A player calls timeout. This timeout was in excess of number allotted and officials called an Admin TF.
However, officials instead of allowing Team A to have the full TO, immediately administered the two shots which were good and then went to spot of infraction and gave Team A the ball back now down 4 points.

Suppose after the shots had been made, Team A Coach points out to the officials that he has not been given the opportunity to use his 75 seconds.

Should officials cancel the points and have them shot over again after the TO has finished?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe they gave team B the ball after the FTs, but nevertheless-

I don't think we take the points away, but don't have a reference.
I would grant the full 60 seconds for the TO, and resume with team B getting the ball at the division line.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Just read a NFHS case play about shooting Free Throws for a false double in the wrong order. This isn't one of the five correctable errors, since none of the free throws were unmerited. I would think this would fall along the same reasoning. The proper free throws were attempted, the error was in failing to award the time out, which is not correctable.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Under what rule set was this game being played? Shooting the FTs at the wrong time, giving the ball to the wrong team, 75 seconds for a timeout, etc. leads me to believe this was not under NF rules, I hope.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:47pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Suppose after the shots had been made, Team A Coach points out to the officials that he has not been given the opportunity to use his 75 seconds.

Should officials cancel the points and have them shot over again after the TO has finished?
Assuming this is an NCAA (Men's) game, I think the free throws stand, and you give the team the time-out at the bench. Then resume at the POI. (Women's game would be different in that Team B would get the free throws AND the ball, I believe.)
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Under what rule set was this game being played? Shooting the FTs at the wrong time, giving the ball to the wrong team, 75 seconds for a timeout, etc. leads me to believe this was not under NF rules, I hope.
It was Mens NCAA rules.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Assuming this is an NCAA (Men's) game, I think the free throws stand, and you give the team the time-out at the bench. Then resume at the POI. (Women's game would be different in that Team B would get the free throws AND the ball, I believe.)
Correct. Team A would still get the TO, and the "out of order" FTs would stand. B would get the ball at the POI.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 11:23am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
and the "out of order" FTs would stand.
This is interesting to me, because I think I remember a women's ruling where merited free throws were attempted, but because of some administrative problem, they're wiped out and attempted again.

If I'm remembering that correctly, then it strikes me as odd that the out of order free throws are allowed to stand in this case.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is interesting to me, because I think I remember a women's ruling where merited free throws were attempted, but because of some administrative problem, they're wiped out and attempted again.

If I'm remembering that correctly, then it strikes me as odd that the out of order free throws are allowed to stand in this case.
That was when a sub for a DQ'd player hadn't yet entered the game.

I disagreed with that interp (but will follow it).

I can see the difference between FTs that *must* be followed by a dead ball and FTs that *might* be followed by a live ball (as in the sub case)
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 12:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
It was Mens NCAA rules.
That explains a lot. I think it's safe to say that usually, when a rule set isn't specified here on this board, we assume the post relates to NF rules.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That was when a sub for a DQ'd player hadn't yet entered the game.

I disagreed with that interp (but will follow it).

I can see the difference between FTs that *must* be followed by a dead ball and FTs that *might* be followed by a live ball (as in the sub case)
Consider who writes those rulings.