The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Free throws

Can't seem to find this rule anywhere in the NFHS book. Official places ball at the disposal of free throw shooter. Free throw shooter bounces it a couple times and then bounces it off of his/her foot and ball goes rolling. What is the call here? Violation, Opposing team's ball out of bounds? Give the ball back but don't start the count over? Several people have told me violation shooter. Opposing teams ball if on second free throw.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 10:10pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Several people are right.

9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free-throw line to attempt a free throw: (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) while performing his/her habitual dribbles prior to the release, accidentally allows the ball to deflect off his/her foot into the lane. RULING: In (a), the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again. No freethrow violation should be called in this situation. In (b), a free-throw violation shall be called on A1. (9-1-3a, e)

Last edited by grunewar; Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 10:13pm. Reason: Found the case
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I forgot to look in my case book. Only had my rules book out.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free-throw line to attempt a free throw: (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) while performing his/her habitual dribbles prior to the release, accidentally allows the ball to deflect off his/her foot into the lane. RULING: In (a), the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again. No freethrow violation should be called in this situation. In (b), a free-throw violation shall be called on A1. (9-1-3a, e)
Can a time-out be called in this situation to avoid the violation in (b)?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:07am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
Can a time-out be called in this situation to avoid the violation in (b)?
Are all elements necessary to grant a time-out present?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My partner and I had this occur Sunday afternoon during a 5th grade game. The shooter dribbled the ball, tried to pick up dribble and immediately "lost the handle". Ball dropped back to the floor directly in front of him where he started dribbling again and regained control. I was trail official and passed on calling a violation.

Coach behind me quickly yelled "that's a violation".... now I know.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
My partner and I had this occur Sunday afternoon during a 5th grade game. The shooter dribbled the ball, tried to pick up dribble and immediately "lost the handle". Ball dropped back to the floor directly in front of him where he started dribbling again and regained control. I was trail official and passed on calling a violation.

Now you know what?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Now you know what?
(b), a free-throw violation shall be called on A1. (9-1-3a, e)
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:35am
9/11 - Never Forget

Ed - Zachery!

Quote:
Now you know what?
C'mon, everyone knows you can't dribble, fumble dribble! (sarc)
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

5th graders? I would've passed too and later on explain to the kid the official ruling on it.

Now I don't know how skillful the 5th graders are in your area, but here they're pretty unskillful that I pass on a lot of things, otherwise I would probably still be officiating the biddy game from two weeks ago.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
(b), a free-throw violation shall be called on A1. (9-1-3a, e)
If he just fumbled/lost the ball and picked it up, you have nothing - as long as he get's off the shot in 10 secs.

If he loses or attempts to go get the ball - then you have a violation. This is not what's implied by your post.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he just fumbled/lost the ball and picked it up, you have nothing - as long as he get's off the shot in 10 secs.

If he loses or attempts to go get the ball - then you have a violation. This is not what's implied by your post.
The shooter did retrieve the ball....but, he didn't physically have to go into the lane to do it. He merely lost the handle, leaned forward a bit w/o stepping beyond the ft line and picked up the ball. According to the rule, it sounds as if he was in violation.

edit: the ball didn't deflect off his foot, so, I guess he wasn't in violation. Makes me wonder if he is in violation if it is allowed to deflect off any other part of his body i.e. leg or torso. hmmm.

Last edited by DLH17; Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 10:47am.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The shooter did retrieve the ball....but, he didn't physically have to go into the lane to do it. He merely lost the handle, leaned forward a bit w/o stepping beyond the ft line and picked up the ball. According to the rule, it sounds as if he was in violation.
What in the rule indicates he was in violation?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What in the rule indicates he was in violation?
After re-reading the rule, it appears he was not in violation because the ball wasn't allowed to hit his foot after fumbling the ball.

Good learning experience. Helps to discuss.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Good learning experience. Helps to discuss.
And that's why many of us are here.

I learn something new every day.