Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Asks

Last minute of 4th.
Team B is pressing. I am the Lead.
Coach say to me.
"Watch team B holding #22 jersey, please get a good look at it."

Heres the deal.
I am in the front court, A22 is in the back court, right in front of C.

If they would of held A22 and there was no call, how would I handle that with that coach being right next to me?
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

If it's happening right in front of your partner, you won't see it because you'll be watching other players.

Ignore the coach if that's all he says and it's during live action.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 11:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Either a generic "I'll watch for it" or no response since he didn't ask a question. If it's the first thing he's said to me all night, he'll get the generic response. If he asks later why I didn't call it, "Coach, I had four other players I was watching."
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 11:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Either a generic "I'll watch for it" or no response since he didn't ask a question. If it's the first thing he's said to me all night, he'll get the generic response. If he asks later why I didn't call it, "Coach, I had four other players I was watching."
I prefer, "It wasn't my area, coach."
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

this is a comment i would completley ignore. coach is fishing for a call.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 08:36am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Most of Mark's posts are supposed to be vaguely humorous, but I don't see a smilie on this one. If this is a serious response, I would advise against using this phrase.

Even though you don't mean it this way, it tells the coach, "Yeah, I saw the foul too, but I didn't call it." It would be better to tell the coach that you were focusing on other players closer to you.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 09:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngref33 View Post
Last minute of 4th.
Team B is pressing. I am the Lead.
Coach say to me.
"Watch team B holding #22 jersey, please get a good look at it."

Heres the deal.

If they would of held A22 and there was no call, how would I handle that with that coach being right next to me?
During live action I'm ignoring the comment.

And how would you know if your partner missed the hold anyway?
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngref33 View Post
Heres the deal.

OK, A22 and the C are in the BC. If the C is in the BC, then so is the T.

That means you're at L. How is the coach right next to you?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 11:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There's a better way of saying the exact same thing:

"I was watching XXXXX," replacing the XXXXX with exactly what you were watching at that particular time.

Or even saying, "I was looking elsewhere" sounds marginally better than saying "it's not my area."

Or even saying, "I didn't see it, but I'll keep an eye out for it."

Coaches DO NOT CARE about areas or primaries or such.

Last night, working GV, a girl ended up with a bloody nose while jostling with a girl off-ball. I was on-ball, which means (in the lovely 2-person system) that my partner had to (essentially) pick up 8 other players. I figured he didn't see it. The coach, on the next dead ball, gave me a sub for his daughter (why is it always the coach's daughter?) and told me about #42 giving a shot to his players. I listened, asked a clarifying question, and told him I would keep an eye on it. The coach was satisfied, we went back to work, and the girl came back in with her nose plugged up on the next dead ball.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 11:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
this is a comment i would completley ignore. coach is fishing for a call.
To me, it depends. If it's a live ball and I can get out of his lap quickly, I'm ignoring it too. If he corrals me during a dead ball, I'm going to listen to him, tell him I'll look for it, and then get out of his lap. Even though it's not worded as a question, to me there are some "comments" that are really implied questions and this is borderline.

Coaches don't like being ignored. If it looks like you have other things to do, fine, but ignoring him during a dead ball just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

"Go F*$& yourself coach"?
"Maybe if your players jersey was tucked in the defensive player couldn't hold it"
"I didn't see the hold b/c I was watching your player set an illegal screen"
"I cant count pass 20 b/c I run out of toes"
"What? Did you see the hot mom on the third row?"

All of which I would then filter into:
"Ok , coach, got it, I 'll take a look at it next time"
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Coaches don't like being ignored. If it looks like you have other things to do, fine, but ignoring him during a dead ball just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
I agree coaches dont like being ignored, i simply answered the question based on the what was asked. Dead ball was not one of the qualifiers.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 12:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I agree coaches dont like being ignored, i simply answered the question based on the what was asked. Dead ball was not one of the qualifiers.
Agreed. I guess I was just saying that I may ignore or may not ignore based on the original post. Depends where I'm standing and how long I'm standing there. If I'm in his lap for a bit, I'll probably acknowledge him at least even if it's during a live ball.

Last night we had an inbounds pass near the division line and the player caught the ball and established frontcourt status with one foot (only) down in the frontcourt. As she pivoted her other foot towards the backcourt, I wished I was somewhere else, cause I knew in that split-second I was about to call a backcourt violation and have the visiting coach tell me she's allowed to do that. That's exactly what happened and I felt it was worth a quick explanation since I was standing right next to the coach (well, at the division line tableside) when I made the call. I told him what happened and he said, "what about the three points?" and I told him that "three points" only applies on a dribble -- the whole exchange took about 5-10 seconds. After the game, I asked my partner in the locker room if I should've just called it and moved on and he said, "well, after the explanation the coach sat down and didn't say another word about it" (partner bumped up to take the throw in on the violation) so maybe I made the right choice, although I'm not a big fan of proactively explaining my calls without a question -- in this case there was a question even if it wasn't in the form of one....

I digress, but it's great to be working again.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
...we had an inbounds pass near the division line and the player caught the ball and established frontcourt status with one foot (only) down in the frontcourt. As she pivoted her other foot towards the backcourt...
So, the player had both feet down in the frontcourt, then pivoted into the backcourt?

I've had this happen to me too. The whole time the coach in my head is thinking, don't... don't.... too late. Whistle.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 01:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines View Post
So, the player had both feet down in the frontcourt, then pivoted into the backcourt?

I've had this happen to me too. The whole time the coach in my head is thinking, don't... don't.... too late. Whistle.
Nope, he caught it with one foot on the floor; in the front court. Then put his 2nd foot down in the backcourt.