The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 01:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nope, he caught it with one foot on the floor; in the front court. Then put his 2nd foot down in the backcourt.
Yup. A clear violation, although the coach thought the "three points" should apply.

Glad to see I made it to my second game of the season (this afternoon, boys varsity) before having to whack a head coach. Sigh. Now I get to file a report with the state.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last night we had an inbounds pass near the division line and the player caught the ball and established frontcourt status with one foot (only) down in the frontcourt.
Caught it in the air and landed on one foot in the FC, or caught it on the ground with one foot in the FC?

(edit: never mind. I see it was answered later).
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Yep... BillyMac should update this in the Misunderstood Rules post. His paragraph on this rule says it doesn't matter which foot comes down first... but it does. (9.9.1 SITUATION A)
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 09:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

Glad to see I made it to my second game of the season (this afternoon, boys varsity) before having to whack a head coach. Sigh. Now I get to file a report with the state.
I take it you need to file a report everytime you T up a coach? The coaches I've had so far have been pretty mild. Probably just the calm before the storm.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 10:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Au Contraire, Mon Amie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines View Post
BillyMac should update this in the Misunderstood Rules post. His paragraph on this rule says it doesn't matter which foot comes down first... but it does. (9.9.1 SITUATION A)
No, it doesn't.

Here's the paragraph from the list:

During a throwin, or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his or her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.

Here's your case play:

9.9.1 SITUATION A: A1 catches the throw-in pass with one foot on the floor in
A's frontcourt
and the other foot not touching the floor. The non-pivot foot then
comes down in A's backcourt. RULING: Violation. Team control is established in
A's frontcourt when A1 catches the throw-in pass. The violation occurs when A1
subsequently touches the backcourt with the non-pivot foot. (4-12-6; 9-9-3)

The paragraph from the list refers to an "airborne catcher". The case play refers to a a player who caught the throwin pass with one foot in the frontcourt. Apples and oranges.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Whoops! I stand corrected. Apologies.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Refresher Exam ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines View Post
Whoops! I stand corrected. Apologies.
Mr. Iowa: Your post gave me a good excuse to bring up an odd question from the 2010-11 IAABO Refresher Exam:

15. Defensive player B-2 leaps from his frontcourt and intercepts a pass from A-1 and lands on one foot in the frontcourt, jumps from that foot and comes to the floor in a stride jump stop with both feet landing simultaneously in his backcourt. The officials rules this a backcourt violation. Is the official correct?
Answer: No (9-9-3).

Did I get an easy question wrong? I guess that a legal landing is the same as a normal landing?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 04:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I guess that a legal landing is the same as a normal landing?
That must be the thinking behind the answer, but I admit that I would call a violation every time.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I prefer, "It wasn't my area, coach."
Incidentally, coaches prefer that response too.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 08:47pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Mr. Iowa: Your post gave me a good excuse to bring up an odd question from the 2010-11 IAABO Refresher Exam:

15. Defensive player B-2 leaps from his frontcourt and intercepts a pass from A-1 and lands on one foot in the frontcourt, jumps from that foot and comes to the floor in a stride jump stop with both feet landing simultaneously in his backcourt. The officials rules this a backcourt violation. Is the official correct?
Answer: No (9-9-3).

Did I get an easy question wrong? I guess that a legal landing is the same as a normal landing?
Billy, does "stride jump stop" carry a specific meaning in IAABO vernacular?
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 09:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
There's a better way of saying the exact same thing:

"I was watching XXXXX," replacing the XXXXX with exactly what you were watching at that particular time.

Or even saying, "I was looking elsewhere" sounds marginally better than saying "it's not my area."

Or even saying, "I didn't see it, but I'll keep an eye out for it."

Coaches DO NOT CARE about areas or primaries or such.
This is all true, but they are going to accept that answer from me. Honestly I think we worry too much about how they are going to react to the truth. If I was not looking there I see no reason to lie. If I saw the play and did not judge the action to be a foul, then I will say so. If my partner had a better look on a play (or it was in their primary) I will tell them that.

When coaches or players are asking you to watch for something, it usually means "bail me out from myself." Often when a player thinks their being held they want to give that as the excuse for not making an attempt to get away. When a coach insists you look for something, they are saying "please help my team out because I need the call."

I tend to play the same game with them and say something or ignore them. When I usually say something like, "Well I did not see it that way" and I explain why, those comments tend to stop. I do not tell them how their job, they have no business telling me how to do my job.

Peace