The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Concussed

First time in over 20 years of officiating basketball, I had a player knocked unconscious tonight.

Loose ball in transistion, two girls go to the floor for it, coming from opposite directions. Heads collide, one girls falls backwards, flat on her back. Opponent's teammate grabs the ball and lays it in. I hit the whistle.

When I get to her, she's moving her head back and forth, eyes shut. She tried to open her eyes but they were rolled back in her head. They worked with her several minutes, got her up and took her to the locker room. Later, during the boys game, I saw them roll her out on a stretcher.

Although I was 100% sure she would not be back, I informed the coach that a doctor would need to check her before she could return.

Kinda scary, hope she's okay. No doubt in my mind she has a concussion.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 03:33am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
...I informed the coach that a doctor would need to check her before she could return...
BBR, hope you don't see one for another 20 yrs.

I am curious if NCHSAA or your local board still requires an MD/OD to pass judgement on this player's fitness to return. I cannot find any reference to MD or OD in this year's FED book.

I know I'm late to the debate but I think this whole passage supplanted it and it seems to be a little watered down in that it leaves the level of qualification for the putative medical personnel entirely to the coach. Ostensible you could have Mr. Anklewrap giving his sayso for a seemingly concussed player to resume playing. I know we always have the prerogative to send them right back off but consider the following...

Page 69 2010-11 NFHS Basketball Rules
COMMENTS ON THE 2010-11 RULES REVISIONS

CONCUSSION PROCEDURE REVISED (2-8-5; 3-3-8): Any player who exhibits
signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion must be immediately removed from the game and shall not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health-care professional. The previous rule directed officials to remove an athlete from play if “unconscious or apparently unconscious.” The previous rule also allowed for return to play based on written authorization by a medical doctor. The new rule requires that any player who exhibits signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion, such as loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion or balance problems, shall be immediately removed from play and shall not return until cleared by an appropriate health-care professional. Officials, coaches and administrators should be looking for signs of concussion in all athletes and should immediately remove any suspected concussed athlete from play and make every effort to
ensure a concussed athlete does not continue to participate.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

In Ohio, the OHSAA has defined "appropriate health-care professional" as an MD, DO, or certified athletic trainer. We are not, however, required to obtain or even see the note permitting the player to return: that's entirely on the coach.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 07:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I am curious if NCHSAA or your local board still requires an MD/OD to pass judgement on this player's fitness to return. I cannot find any reference to MD or OD in this year's FED book.
See new case book play 2.8.5 at the front of the 2010-11 NFHS case book---on p.3. That says "The rules permit A1 to return to the game once he/she has been cleared by an appropriate health-care professional. The responsibility for obtaining the clearance rests with the coach/school, and need not be verified by the officials (unless state procedures require verification). If A1 appears at the scorer's table to re-enter the game, the officials shall assume the coach/school followed the appropriare return-to-play procedures and A1 is eligible to participate;"

Iow, check your local listings. If your state hasn't made a definitive ruling laying out MD/OD/whatever for you to follow, just follow the above. The onus then goes on the coach/school, which is exactly where it should go.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
BBR, hope you don't see one for another 20 yrs.

The NFHS requires an approved health care professional.

The NCHSAA says that AHCP has to be an M.D.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith