Thread: Concussed
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 03:33am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
...I informed the coach that a doctor would need to check her before she could return...
BBR, hope you don't see one for another 20 yrs.

I am curious if NCHSAA or your local board still requires an MD/OD to pass judgement on this player's fitness to return. I cannot find any reference to MD or OD in this year's FED book.

I know I'm late to the debate but I think this whole passage supplanted it and it seems to be a little watered down in that it leaves the level of qualification for the putative medical personnel entirely to the coach. Ostensible you could have Mr. Anklewrap giving his sayso for a seemingly concussed player to resume playing. I know we always have the prerogative to send them right back off but consider the following...

Page 69 2010-11 NFHS Basketball Rules
COMMENTS ON THE 2010-11 RULES REVISIONS

CONCUSSION PROCEDURE REVISED (2-8-5; 3-3-8): Any player who exhibits
signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion must be immediately removed from the game and shall not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health-care professional. The previous rule directed officials to remove an athlete from play if “unconscious or apparently unconscious.” The previous rule also allowed for return to play based on written authorization by a medical doctor. The new rule requires that any player who exhibits signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion, such as loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion or balance problems, shall be immediately removed from play and shall not return until cleared by an appropriate health-care professional. Officials, coaches and administrators should be looking for signs of concussion in all athletes and should immediately remove any suspected concussed athlete from play and make every effort to
ensure a concussed athlete does not continue to participate.